ASL Superstitions

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
Illuminating Rounds are hoping to feature some of your ASL superstitions.

We all have them: lucky underwear, rabbit's foot, only playing newer players.

Please share because me and Dave don't have enough to feature a top 5!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If you have a SMC named after you do not be overly protective of it when using it. Better to go out in a blaze of glory than be taken out by a Sniper whilst being a REMF.

Conversely do what it takes to eliminate your opponent's personal SMC. Not only will this demoralize your opponent it lessens the possibility that his SMC will earn glory taking you down.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I always took ginger snap cookies to Oktoberfest. Not sure if it was a superstition or not. I just like them and usually didn't have the time to eat much else.

Reactions: Del

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
FTs always break on the first roll.

10-3s die quickly.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I roll my dice 'deliberately and carefully'. Otherwise they roll badly.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If you have a SMC named after you do not be overly protective of it when using it. Better to go out in a blaze of glory than be taken out by a Sniper whilst being a REMF.
There is a Bishop 9 -1 in the SK Expansion Pack 1. My favorite two stories, both playing Fort. Bishop on a .50 go on a long as ROF tear; Fort using him in a scenario--also on a ROF 3 MG--and not getting rate once through 6 turns. I played Jim Mehl once, using his German 9 -1 counter. I crossed wire with him and the counter got wounded. Spent the rest of the game caught up on that wire, unable to roll low enough to get below the Wire. Last story, at Winter Offensive, play Keith Spurlock in some Korean was scenario. I have this 8 -1 Spurlock counter and the whole game I am commenting on "Spurlock, the known malingerer" and how he is failing me not doing the job. Keith sneaks a tank out and is on the verge of winning when Spurlock double-times across the board with his HS and BAZ to get into position to shoot. Keep in mind, these are early war BAZ which have all the doubt about is it dud or not a dud. Of course, Spurlock directs the boys to get a hit, the hit is not a dud, and the hit kills the tank and secures the game for me. Keith looked at me with a dead straight face and says "It's all bluster until it matters". We both started cracking up. Love playing ASL with Keith. So much fun. Sad I could not play at the last WO as I moved to German on that Friday. -- jim

EDIT to add: WRT to superstitions, I don't really have any. I do try to play with a color die matching the nationality I am playing (as close as I can) when I have all my dice with me. Otherwise, I just play. I guess you could call it a superstition that I think the dice are always going to fuck me over. Sadly, reality has borne that out. ;)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
There is a Bishop 9 -1 in the SK Expansion Pack 1. My favorite two stories, both playing Fort. Bishop on a .50 go on a long as ROF tear; Fort using him in a scenario--also on a ROF 3 MG--and not getting rate once through 6 turns. I played Jim Mehl once, using his German 9 -1 counter. I crossed wire with him and the counter got wounded. Spent the rest of the game caught up on that wire, unable to roll low enough to get below the Wire. Last story, at Winter Offensive, play Keith Spurlock in some Korean was scenario. I have this 8 -1 Spurlock counter and the whole game I am commenting on "Spurlock, the known malingerer" and how he is failing me not doing the job. Keith sneaks a tank out and is on the verge of winning when Spurlock double-times across the board with his HS and BAZ to get into position to shoot. Keep in mind, these are early war BAZ which have all the doubt about is it dud or not a dud. Of course, Spurlock directs the boys to get a hit, the hit is not a dud, and the hit kills the tank and secures the game for me. Keith looked at me with a dead straight face and says "It's all bluster until it matters". We both started cracking up. Love playing ASL with Keith. So much fun. Sad I could not play at the last WO as I moved to German on that Friday. -- jim

EDIT to add: WRT to superstitions, I don't really have any. I do try to play with a color die matching the nationality I am playing (as close as I can) when I have all my dice with me. Otherwise, I just play. I guess you could call it a superstition that I think the dice are always going to fuck me over. Sadly, reality has borne that out. ;)
LMAO!???

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We always used the German 8-1 Kalmer counter from SL. He was Fish and Mac's buddy wbitd.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
One of the best parts of the Saturday To the Last Man at ASLOk (played by Taylor, Mudge, Tommy, and Wes) is they all have a named counter in the game and the added all the counters to mix in addition. The stories they tell. Wes getting clipped by a Sniper 40 seconds into the first turn, Mudge gets a FT that only he can use (Inherent to the Mudge counter). The time Mudge took his counter, and ran him off the board talking about going to meet with the Furher in the bunker. Tommy called him a pussy and told him to go Faust the IS-2M. Pete was sufficiently cowed and came back out to take a shot at the IS. Wes trundles the turret, promptly rolls snake eyes on for the CH from a 122mm round. When the IFT DR went in, I think the final result was < a 5KIA. We figured there was nothing left but a boot. The stories those guys can tell. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One of the best parts of the Saturday To the Last Man at ASLOk (played by Taylor, Mudge, Tommy, and Wes) is they all have a named counter in the game and the added all the counters to mix in addition. The stories they tell. Wes getting clipped by a Sniper 40 seconds into the first turn, Mudge gets a FT that only he can use (Inherent to the Mudge counter). The time Mudge took his counter, and ran him off the board talking about going to meet with the Furher in the bunker. Tommy called him a pussy and told him to go Faust the IS-2M. Pete was sufficiently cowed and came back out to take a shot at the IS. Wes trundles the turret, promptly rolls snake eyes on for the CH from a 122mm round. When the IFT DR went in, I think the final result was < a 5KIA. We figured there was nothing left but a boot. The stories those guys can tell. -- jim
Much better tales than " my SMC got taken out by a Sniper ".

Timid people/players usually don't have memorable stories.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like to store my dice with the red die facing up, with a 1. I think it keeps him focused.

Him? Do dice have gender?

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I always took ginger snap cookies to Oktoberfest. Not sure if it was a superstition or not. I just like them and usually didn't have the time to eat much else.
Now that’s weird... I have a thing about the Australian Gingernut biscuits of my childhood and always take them to tournaments as well, as many of my opponents can testify! They are rock hard after being sent from Australia to Europe.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two weeks ago Me and Tommy played Mudge and Trent Dobbs in to the last man, keeping the tradition alive. Lots of trash talk and our Russians won.
Yes, colored dice must match nationality.
Finally, usually better luck to roll fast but leave the dice lay.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Now that’s weird... I have a thing about the Australian Gingernut biscuits of my childhood and always take them to tournaments as well, as many of my opponents can testify! They are rock hard after being sent from Australia to Europe.
They sound like they are delicious!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I like to store my dice with the red die facing up, with a 1. I think it keeps him focused.

Him? Do dice have gender?
Professor Talo of the University of Astragal is a renowned authority on dice. He maintains that all six sided dice are male and all dice having more sides are female. He bases this conclusion on the premise that males are generally satisfied with a small handful of options while females require considerably more.

While this researcher has been unable to verify the Professor's theory any male who has ever gone shopping with a female can see the rationale of his conclusions. ??

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
1) Precision dice stored in a special foam padded case. Number 1's up. Case is placed on a Purple pillow with gold tassels when not in use.

2) Whenever given a 9-2 SMC in a scenario OoB I offer to exchange it for a 7-0 lest the game collapse with the first DR. The 7-0 invariably outperforms any 9-2 I've ever had (see IR Episode #31 on the Brickworks scenario).

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I always try and use named counters of players I have met or played against, sometimes helps sometimes they become casualties or SAN bait