ASL Starter Kit Shipping Info

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also had a minor collating issue--did not receive scenario card with S5 and S6 on it--called the office today and should be getting it mailed to me.

MD

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My two copies arrived in Seattle today.

Thanks guys, it looks great.

I'll post a "review" in a bit.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I submitted the scenarios to ROAR tonight, so hopefully JR will put them up soon & people will start recording their games played.

ericblick

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got mine today and it looks good from a physical point of view - here it comes- BUT the graphic quality of the boards is somewhat disappointing.

Back in the day SL and ASL mapboards were pretty special in as much as the artwork did a pretty nice tightrope dance of clarity and artistic depiction of overhead views of terrain.

I think the ASLSK boards are fairly cartoonish and lack an artist's touch. Frankly it looks like someone trying a graphics program out for first time using clip art. This is , of course arguably a trivial point, but I remember one of the appeals to me as a newbie was the excellent mapboard art.

Just another opinion. I'm still happy to get the starter kit out there to recruit some new players.

Steve "No unexpressed thoughts" Blickens

Thanks, MMP

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ken, MOST of the starter kits should be out by now, and while I know we'll be working through the problem pile ASAP, you may want to give the office a call just to check status if you haven't gotten it yet.

Keith

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My brief review... FWIW.

In one box, you have about 9 or 10 pages of rules, two maps and all the counters you need to play the six scenarios that are included. It costs less than $25 and is a self-contained game. This is a _GREAT_ way to attract new players and to get some of the guys who bought the rule book 20 years ago but never played (back) into the hobby.

I bought two copies on pre order and now I wish I had 10. We have a tourney coming up at the end of May where there will be 40+ ASL players and 200+ historical miniatures gamers. I want ten or twelve of these to offer to guys who wander in and look at the Red Barricades map, or the games in progress and say "I used to play Squad Leader...".

For years Avalon Hill (and even MMP for a while) used to advocate that you play Squad Leader first and then move on to Advanced Squad Leader. The major problem with that was that you had to "unlearn" much of the Squad Leader rules to play ASL. The starter kit is a subset of ASL. You can pick up the start kit, learn to play in an hour and you won't have to "unlearn" anything when you go on to buy the ASL rule book and modules.

Great job, folks. I want all the "groggies" out there to promise not to buy the starter kit for themselves - but buy it and get it into the hands of new players.

Scenarios:
S1 - Retaking Vierville - 7 June 1944 (Vierville, France)
11 US squads, with a 9-2, two 8-1's and an 8-0
11 German squads, with two 9-1's, an 8-1 and and 8-0
Village board, 5 turns.
Americans win if there are no good order German MMC in four specified buildings The Americans start with three squads on board.
In the first three turns both sides squads "trickle in" two or three squads at a time.
No support weapons.

S2 - War of the Rats - 26 Sep 1942 (Stalingrad)
13 Russian squads with a MMG, and 3 LMG. Lead by a 9-2, 8-1, 8-0. 11 German squads with a MMG, 3 LMG, FT and 2 DC. Lead by a 9-2, 9-1, and 8-1. City Board, 6 turns. Germans win if they control three specific buildings.

S3 - Simple Equation - 12 Oct 1944 (Aachen, Germany)
12 German second line and conscripts, HMG, 3 LMG, 8-1, 8-0, and two 7-0 14 and a half US squads, 2 MMG, FT, 9-2, 9-1, and two 8-0 Two half boards - city/village, 6 and a half turns. US wins immediately when they control at least 25 building hexes.

S4 - Welcome Back - 16 Dec 1944 (Bosingen, Luxembourg)
8 mixed quality US squads, .50 cal, 2 MMG, 2 FT, 10-2, 8-1, 8-0
15 second line German squads, 2MMG, 3 LMG, 9-1, two 8-1, two 7-0
Village board, 5 and a half turns.
Germans win by exiting 10 VP.

S5 - Clearing Colleville - 6 June 1944 (Colleville, Normandy) 10 German squads, HMG, MMG, LMG, 8-1, 8-0, 6+1
12+ US squads, 3 MMG, 9-2, 9-1, 8-1, 8-0
Village board, 5 turns.
US Wins if there are no good order Germans MMC in stone buildngs within a certain area.

S6 - Released from the East - 11 Dec 1941 (Istra, Russia)
9 Elite Germans squads, MMG, 3 LMG, 9-2, 8-1, 8-0
14 Elite Russian squads, MMG, 2 LMG, DC, 9-1, 8-1, 8-0
City board, 5 and a half turns
Russians win if they control at least two of three specified buildings.

skuwa

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you SamB for lots of information about Starter Kit.

I'm just wondering if these scenarios could be still balanced when applied full ASL system. So please let us know whenever anyone trys to do that.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm just wondering if these scenarios could be still balanced when applied full ASL system. So please let us know whenever anyone trys to do that.
There's not a lot left out to make it the "full" ASL system. There's no Heat of Battle, no sniper, etc. But those things are pretty much random events that I would argue don't change the balance often. (when they chage it, it can be severe, but they don't come into play often...)

There are no levels in buildings - its like having an SSR that says all buildings are ground level only.

I don't think balance with / without what's missing is going to be a problem.

JMO
Sam

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Received mine yesterday, great looking product, well done. Counters, rules, and charts look great. Look foward to trying this with a new ASL person.

But to be honest, I am glad I made the leap to buy the unmounted mapsheets as they are and had them laminated. Just my opinion, but I do not like the new mapboards at all and will not be interested in purchasing any further modules with them. On the positive side I have all the modules and with AOO will be complete, so will have many years of new ASL to play.

Will future HASL modules have the ASLSK style mapsheets or the usual?

Keith

sdkfz

Reaction score
First name
Rowland
Country
llUnited States
I have not received mine nor has my credit card be debited (so I shall not be receiving it soon). My order was on 2-19-2004.... Am in the problem file you think?

Rowland

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
csiemers said:
My order was 2/12/04 and I haven't received it in Oregon, nor does it appear my credit card has been charged.

csiemers,

What part of Oregon do you hail?

Keith

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, just FYI

I ordered my two copies Jan 9, 2004. Your orders were placed one or TWO months after mine. They are apparently still working thro the back log of orders...

Yours will come.

Sam

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I ordered one on January 8 and one on March 10. I got one and still wait for the second. :?

Walkie

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I ordered mine on March 5, and got it today.
It looks really nice, especially the boards. I wouldn't mind having all 50 something boards like this. It'd be a heckva lot lighter and no need to laminate like the unmounted boards.

Cheers,
Roger

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Laminated boards

Hi-

Gotta agree, I laminated and cut all 52 maps and wow, what a difference, I can fit all of them in my beyond valor box with lots of room for other stuff.
Lamanation job aint great, but its functional.

Scott

Henrik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is MMP shipping the starter kits?

How is MMP shipping the starter kits? They charged my Credit Card monday and now 5 days later I still have not recieved it. If I remember correctly they mentioned it would be shipped UPS or USPS Priority, eitherway I thought it should have reached me by now. Was looking forward to a lot of ASL over the easter weekend.

Henrik