ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2 now on preorder

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP is putting up a new preorder today, the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2. This new pack has two 8” x 22” geomorphic map boards (k and l) and eight new scenarios in locations such as China, Burma, Java, and New Guinea. It continues with the introduction of the Japanese, and adds new rules to introduce players to the Chinese forces, and to overlays.

Please note that ownership of the core ASL Starter Kit modules is required to make full use of this expansion pack.

See more details, and place your order on our website.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Here is the MMP link:

And details:

ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2

MMP is proud to present the second Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit Expansion Pack. Expansion Pack #2 has been designed with all levels of Starter Kit play in mind and has something for everyone. It includes two new 8" x 22" geomorphic mapboards (k and l) and eight new scenarios set in locales such as China, Burma, Java, and New Guinea.

Expansion Pack #2 continues the introduction of the Japanese begun in ASL Starter Kit #4, this time with new opponents. Expansion Pack #2 also adds new rules to introduce players to the Chinese and to overlays. Ordnance and Vehicle Notes for the weapons used in the scenarios are also included.

However, unlike previous installments of ASL Starter Kit, Expansion Pack #2 does not come with everything you need to play!!!

Expansion Pack #2 assumes ownership of the core ASLSK modules Starter Kit #1, Starter Kit #2, Starter Kit #3, and Starter Kit #4. While Expansion Pack #2 includes counters for Chinese, Japanese, British, Filipino, and Dutch units, it relies upon these core Starter Kit modules to provide additional unit and information counters, thus giving players a low-cost method for introducing the Chinese and for expanding the range of combat in the Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO).

The most recent version of the Starter Kit rules may be downloaded from the MMP website by clicking this link.

ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2 contains:
• two 8" x 22" geomorphic mapboards (map k, map l)
• one overlay
• one countersheet (252 counters)
• one 4-page illustrated color rules supplement
• one 4-page Quick Reference Data Card
• eight new scenarios:
  • S74 Iron Fist, Shanghai, China, 17 August 1937
  • S75 They Always Returned, Shanghai, China, 11 October 1937
  • S76 A Less Peaceful Christmas, Urdaneta, Luzon, The Philippines, 25 December 1941
  • S77 Dutch Trucks, Soebang, Java, 2 March 1942
  • S78 No Japanese Within 100 Miles, Leuwiliang, Java, 4 March 1942
  • S79 Politics, Logistics, and Pride, Toungoo, Burma, 19 March 1942
  • S80 Spring and Summer, Isurava, New Guinea, 27 August 1942
  • S81 Not A Man Afraid, Jessami, India, 28 March 1944
NOTE: ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2 is not a boxed game; it comes bagged in the same manner as ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I playtested a scenario on a different version of board k and I thought it was way cool for SK. I guess it was too densely urban so mellowed out to this version. Still nice to have a new urban board for SK and put board z to rest.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I playtested a scenario on a different version of board k and I thought it was way cool for SK. I guess it was too densely urban so mellowed out to this version. Still nice to have a new urban board for SK and put board z to rest.
This new board k seems reminiscent of Nijmegen with the rowhouses (if this was an ASL board I'm thinking there would be black bars between the hexes) and the traffic circle.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
LOL - actually that is the same map but I was playing from the other direction! the great thing with geoboards is that you can see all kinds of different places in them.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
board l ... grain and orchards for days. Going to be an in season hindrance nightmare for defenders.

Also, aren't boards l and k already designations for DASL boards?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Once the Starter Kit boards started with z, y, x - an "collison" with the Deluxe boards regarding letters would happen sooner or later. Luckily - in official scenarios - they will be easy to tell aprt on scenarios.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
board l ... grain and orchards for days. Going to be an in season hindrance nightmare for defenders.

Unless the defender has MGs and can lay down firelanes that will reach out and touch someone.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless the defender has MGs and can lay down firelanes that will reach out and touch someone.
We didn’t want to add fire lanes as an SK rule (and we didn’t have room in the SKEP2 counter mix for FL counters). We tried really hard to make a FL SSR work but could not make it true to ASL, playable, useful, and understandable.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once the Starter Kit boards started with z, y, x - an "collison" with the Deluxe boards regarding letters would happen sooner or later. Luckily - in official scenarios - they will be easy to tell aprt on scenarios.

We worried about this for a moment then came to the conclusion that DASL scenarios are numbered differently (D### not S###), plus on each scenario the DASL maps have the road grid displayed on the map, which does not happen on "normal" maps.

In other words, it’s pretty obvious which are DASL scenarios and which are Starter Kit scenarios.