ASL Starter Kit (Comments)

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A friend brought a starter kit to our club meeting for everyone to have a look at. I was very impressed with it. Two things impressed me the most if I had to only pick two things. #1 was the two boards provided. They are not the traditional boards as we know and are used to playing on. Let me clarify they where not mounted on hard cardboard stock. They weren’t flimsy paper products either. It seemed to be a happy medium. This tells me that when I order new boards now to replace my old ones I can now preserve them with map tac. #2 was the manner in which the rules are written to introduce new members to the ASL community. I see this as a huge positive and as an avid ASL’er only good can come from it. What do you guys think?

keethrax

Reaction score
Jack said:
A friend brought a starter kit to our club meeting for everyone to have a look at. I was very impressed with it. Two things impressed me the most if I had to only pick two things. #1 was the two boards provided. They are not the traditional boards as we know and are used to playing on. Let me clarify they where not mounted on hard cardboard stock. They weren’t flimsy paper products either. It seemed to be a happy medium. This tells me that when I order new boards now to replace my old ones I can now preserve them with map tac. #2 was the manner in which the rules are written to introduce new members to the ASL community. I see this as a huge positive and as an avid ASL’er only good can come from it. What do you guys think?
Short version:
The starte kits are a great idea, and well executed from what I've seen. In fact, I've convinced at least one person to buy one, so then I"ll actually get to get myhands on a copy.

Longer version:
It would really help to have the next level (rulebook and beyond valor) in stock to sell to people hooked by the starter kits. I can understand otehr stuff going out of stock, but the basic game being out of stock/print threatens to kill any gains made by the starter kits. I realize that they're harder to sell, since most current players already have them, and that a new module will selel better as it will sell to those current players, but that's thinking too short term, new players are necessary, or the game will die. And MMP knows this, hence the starter kit, I just fear that the starter kit's been crippled from the beginning as far as actually bringing new players in by the lack of actual ASL core products in place to sell to those hooked by the starter kit.

Priest

Reaction score
I agree, be advised that the ASLRBv2 and hopefully BV will be the next stuff out the door. Keep your fingers crossed.

keethrax

Reaction score
Priest said:
I agree, be advised that the ASLRBv2 and hopefully BV will be the next stuff out the door. Keep your fingers crossed.
They're crossed. As a new player myself, for me, daunting as the rules can be, getting ahold of the appropriate materials was far harder.

If they get the rulebook and BV out in time to take advantage of the starter kits, it could work out very well.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
keethrax said:
They're crossed. As a new player myself, for me, daunting as the rules can be, getting ahold of the appropriate materials was far harder.

If they get the rulebook and BV out in time to take advantage of the starter kits, it could work out very well.
ASLRBv2 is currently at the printers, so they're definitely trying to take advantage of the ASLSK euphoria.

I think BV will take somewhat longer, however Paratrooper is still in stock, which should tide folks over for a few months.

My first year in ASL (2003) was a significant exercise in module acquisition. Fortunately, I didn't pay an exorbitant price for any of the modules. $90 US was the highest I paid, and that was for BVv2.

Priest

Reaction score
Johnny Canuck said:
My first year in ASL (2003) was a significant exercise in module acquisition. Fortunately, I didn't pay an exorbitant price for any of the modules. $90 US was the highest I paid, and that was for BVv2.
Same here Johnny, I got my ASL stuff when MMP first released it in 2002. Man, now I'm glad that I did.

keethrax

Reaction score
Johnny Canuck said:
ASLRBv2 is currently at the printers, so they're definitely trying to take advantage of the ASLSK euphoria.

I think BV will take somewhat longer, however Paratrooper is still in stock, which should tide folks over for a few months.

Paratrooper's a poor substitute, since if you have the starter kit, the rulebook, and Paratropoper, you're missing maps for 5 of the 8 scenarios, it does fine as a bridge between SL and ASL but wihtout the SL background (or at least maps), it leaves much to be desired. By the same token 4/10 of the BV scenarios are not playable without extra maps. But that leaves 6 playable out of the box, as opposed to 3. Does Paratrooper come with a counter for a Pz IVF2? If so you can add T3 (Ranger Stronghold) to the initially playable (and available) scenarios.