ASL Scenario J66 Sound Retreat

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASL Scenario J66 Sound Retreat

A very good friend and myself played this scenario the evening of March 15, 2004. I have not played in over six months due to being out of country and I needed my fix. I let my opponent decide on the scenario and I got to pick the side.
This particular scenario is a May 1940, which means early war and very week armour. I played the Germans and my ASL buddy played the Brits. When this scenario was over we both came to the same conclusion. Don’t play as the British.
There are two sets of VC for the German in this scenario they read like this: Germans win immediately upon amassing greater than or equal to 23 CVP or by exiting greater than or equal to 16 VP from the west edge (Prisoners do not count for exit VP).
The Germans are highly mobile in this scenario with a good AT capability for this time in the war. The British sets up on board 18 and must cover two roads that the German player has access to. Because the roads provide the best mobility for the Germans I decided to take advantage of them. I also took notice of the British set up and decided that all my order of battle was to come on the one road. I did this for two reasons: I did not want to split up my force because I also had two Kfz 13 that have a limited AT capability, I did not want to split them up. Second reason to have all my forces come in on the one road hex was that it forced his armour protecting the road on the other side to move thereby incurring penalties for firing in the next turn case B ect. The 37L AT gun also performed very well and became a huge liability for the British once it started to spit out rounds. The AT gun also came in on the same road hex.
The scenario was won by the German by turn 4 or 5 because the British lost too many CVP’s. This was because in our opinion the Germans had too many ways to skin the cat. The main body comes on board with 6 weapons that can take out the British AFV’s, LMG x 2, MMG x1, 37L AT X1 and two Kfz 13. It must be remember that MG have a limited AT ability and that ability should be used when confronting AFVs with a zero or one armour factor. In our opinion this scenario is hugely in favour of the German side and even if the British got the balance which is: German reinforcements enter on turn 4, it wouldn't’t make that big of a differences. This information was posted to the ROAR site for later reference http://www.jrvdev.com/ROAR/VER1/default.asp Please take advantage of this site and use it extensively. ROAR is Remote On-line Automated Record. It is set up specifically for ASL.

Last edited:

hydrou

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thx for the AAR. And I think most ppl here already use ROAR, me included.