ASL scenario idea...

MRT

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey guys,

I'm contemplating going over to the dark side and actually trying to design a scenario. While I have a few ideas on the drawing board, an action I've been reading about recently seems to be crying out for the ASL treatment. With this in mind, can anyone tell me if there is any scenario (official or TPP) dealing with Operation Abstention and the battle for Castellorizo? I certainly don't want to re-invent the wheel if its already been done, but this action, with 200 British commandos pitted against 340 Italians seems just tailor-made for our wonderful game...

and if it does exist, can someone be kind enough as to point me in the right direction or PM me a copy? :devious:

thanks for any assistance you can offer,

Matt

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Oh that one! Been done at least three times before...... :lier:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ignore the crap ....

#1. Welcome to the dark side....you will discover powers beyond your wildest dreams..... of course they do come at a price. But you are willing to pay that price, aren't you? Just think about the near limitless power you will command at your fingertips...

;)

#2 seriously, good luck, bon chance, gluck Auf, buena suerte, it all works, and welcome to the insanity of scenario design. You're gonna LOVE the ride. :)

If you are looking for additional help, dropping a thread here at GS wither in the main forum or the ASL Designers Sub - forum will generate a flood of references you typically wouldn't even THINK existed. The guys round here are uber- supportive at looking at, analyzing ( read that eating alive and spitting out) your various SSR and VC ideas. I found that people like Kevin K; and Paul W; and Aaron C.; and J.R. Van Mechelen can be exceedingly helpful in nailing down little details like which LMG those commandoes were carrying when they attacked, etc.

Best of luck! you're one of the "sith" now.....

:laugh:

KRL, Jon H

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Make sure that the Italians have something to offer...200 Commandos...Gulp :scream:

Welcome to the dark side

Kihmbar

Reaction score
With this in mind, can anyone tell me if there is any scenario (official or TPP) dealing with Operation Abstention and the battle for Castellorizo? I certainly don't want to re-invent the wheel if its already been done, but this action, with 200 British commandos pitted against 340 Italians seems just tailor-made for our wonderful game...

and if it does exist, can someone be kind enough as to point me in the right direction or PM me a copy?
I usually check the ASL Scenario Archive. I just ran a quick search for Castellorizo on the ASL Scenario Archive's Advanced Search feature. It came up with nothing. That doesn't mean that there have not been any scenarios written about it, it just means that the location of Castellorizo has not been entered for any scenarios in their records. You may be able to use different search parameters and find if something has been done before. Even if there have been scenarios written, it is nice to see how someone else treated the same engagement.

As mentioned before, the ASL Designer's Forum is a good spot to post and discuss ideas.

And last, but not least, welcome to the Dark Side. Let me know if you need a playtester.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ignore the crap ....

#1. Welcome to the dark side....you will discover powers beyond your wildest dreams..... of course they do come at a price. But you are willing to pay that price, aren't you? Just think about the near limitless power you will command at your fingertips...

;)

#2 seriously, good luck, bon chance, gluck Auf, buena suerte, it all works, and welcome to the insanity of scenario design. You're gonna LOVE the ride. :)

If you are looking for additional help, dropping a thread here at GS wither in the main forum or the ASL Designers Sub - forum will generate a flood of references you typically wouldn't even THINK existed. The guys round here are uber- supportive at looking at, analyzing ( read that eating alive and spitting out) your various SSR and VC ideas. I found that people like Kevin K; and Paul W; and Aaron C.; and J.R. Van Mechelen can be exceedingly helpful in nailing down little details like which LMG those commandoes were carrying when they attacked, etc.

Best of luck! you're one of the "sith" now.....

:laugh:

KRL, Jon H
Yeah....

What Jon said......

Just sayin'......

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't sweat whether or not the scenario you are looking at has been designed by someone else. There are many, many, battles that ASL has multiple scenarios on. Each has it's own interpertation. Put your own stamp on it.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't sweat whether or not the scenario you are looking at has been designed by someone else. There are many, many, battles that ASL has multiple scenarios on. Each has it's own interpertation. Put your own stamp on it.
Pavlov's House is one of them that comes to mind.......

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Singling is another.

If it interests you and you have some cool ideas for it, do it, regardless of whether or not it's been done before. Only a pompous a$$ would be territorial about this sort of thing - and those types of people deserve to have their nose rubbed in it every now and then. :D

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
There are even multiple HASL's on the same battle (Arnhem).

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
...One Log Bridge...
Of the 2 versions I've played, I like the old ASLUG version the best. Crossing the stream, if you don't do it right, teaches you a valuable lesson about the evils of Double Time when combined with Advance vs Difficult.