ASL Scenario Hall of Fame

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
I'm pleased to see all these votes for the relatively obscure Morire in Belleza, which is a nifty scenario.

I also like the selection above, which isn't all big guns east front.
Morire in Belleza is a Scenario I have played twice. Italians and Yugos, Guns, MG's, FT's, Wire. Great time. It was on the list of available scens in a mini two years ago in Texas. I helped suggest it to the two players who were playing in that mini's championship. Came down to the wire, of course. Both players thought it was worth their time.

Glad to see it will make it through to the next round, although I think it won't make it to the finals, just not available enough, and a lot of guys don't want to play the Italians. :cry:

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HG!6 Corniche Game
J43 3rd RTR In The Rain
ASL61 Shoestring Ridge
ASL1 Fighting Withdrawal
SP48 Orlik And The Uhlan's

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but excluding non MMP products would completely make this worthless. MMP also stated they do not mind if others are included.

There is a scenario that I need to make sure has the 2 required votes to be considered. That is:

The Commissar's House from BV.

Lets face it, how many of us played this scenario solitaire several times while learning the game. And would play it in a heartbeat against anyone, anytime. Would be a shame for this scenario to not be in there. It is truly a great classic. JHMO.
Chas

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>I just have a very narrow view of what constitutes Advanced Squad Leader... Official Advanced Squad Leader.

Interesting comment, especially since your scenario Clash Along the Psel was first published in The Rout Report. Did you consider The Rout Report to be official?

How do you know that the 3rd Party scenarios will not become official at some time? Also, some of the outstanding scenario designers have submitted their scenarios to MMP and many of the 3rd parties. Currently there are In Contact, Rout Report, Tactiques, Bounding Fire, ASL News, ASLUG Newsletter and Heat of Battle scenarios that have become 'official'. A great scenario is a great scenario no matter who publishes it.

Almost like having the view that since automobiles were invented in America, you refuse to drive a foreign car.

Capt Harlock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

Here is my hall of fame scenario list:

Guards Counterattack Scenario A
Granted this one is very vanilla and somewhat boring but it is the one major scenario most of us started are path to ASL nirvana on.

The Commissars House Scenario 4
This one is a classic swirling melee in the Streets of Stalingrad and much better then the Red Barricades version.

Show Down at Tug Argan Pass A39
Perhaps one of the best Italian vs UK scenarios ever made. A desperate UK troops defend against an onslaught of a mixed bag Italian regulars supported by one Flame Throwing tank!

Totsugeki A60
Still one of the best PTO scenarios ever designed for tournament action.

Morire In Belleza PBP22
Another great Italian scenario by the lads down under. Are they still publishing scenario packs?

There you lads have it, my list of great scenario’s that have graced my ASL playing table through the years.

Mitch

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
3rd RTR in the Rain
nice, tight little battle often going down to the wire
Totsugeki!
another nail biter that seemingly is in doubt to the end
Merzenhausen Zoo
it's all about the toys!
Urban Guerillas
one of those scenarios you always are willing to play...again
Khamsin
gives meaning to "swirling melee"
Directive Number 3
early war meeting engagement madness
Silesian Interlude
another of those scenarios I'm always willing to play
Siam Sambal
shows ASL through a lesser seen prism
Turning the Tables
an insane desert battle that's almost as fun merely devising the setup as playing
Retribution
US 6ML v Italian 6 ML on board 12: you never know what is going to happen

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The last day to for HoF nominations is November 30, 2004. So, get them in before you get too full of turkey!

Please note that only those scenarios with two or more nominations goes to the next round, so make sure you vote! Heck, maybe I shouldn't have done this so close to Nov 6. You're probably tired of people encouraging you to vote.

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
My 10

Italian Brothers
Siam Sambal
Cream of the Crop
Point of No Return
High Danger
Le Herrison
The Capture of Balta
Men of the Mountains
Stand and Die
Bridge To Nowhere

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Choices:

1. Brihuega Disaster (GC6)
2. To The Rescue (RB4)
3. Bridge To Nowhere (54)
4. Annihilation (ST5)
5. Cream of The Crop (AP12)

Rich

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Wolkey said:
>I just have a very narrow view of what constitutes Advanced Squad Leader... Official Advanced Squad Leader.

Interesting comment, especially since your scenario Clash Along the Psel was first published in The Rout Report. Did you consider The Rout Report to be official?
You are mistaken. "Clash Along the Psel" was never published by anyone but myself. If it saw publication in The Rout Report (I did write an article or two for Kurt), it was unauthorized. However, I am very confident that it never was in The Rout Report. (If you have evidence to the contrary, please let me know, as I would be most interested in that... CH -- under the auspices of one or two of the same gents who published The Rout Report -- has published a scenario of mine without my knowledge or consent. When I learned about it a year ago, I was quite perturbed.)

I did take several copies of "Clash" to ASLOK, and distributed them freely back in... oh, 1988 or 1989. I was surprised and gratified to see it being played the next year at ASLOK. But it was never published until AH put it in the '93A Annual.

Robert Wolkey said:
Almost like having the view that since automobiles were invented in America, you refuse to drive a foreign car.
I don't believe the analogy is apt.

A more apt analogy would be having a hall of fame for General Motors sedans, and then including Toyota products. Yes, they are all cars. No, they are not all General Motors.

I simply believe that anything that bills itself as "ASL" should only include items that are legally and officially "Advanced Squad Leader".

And yes, I am quite positive that there are many outstanding scenarios out there that are not and possibly will never be "official". Oh well.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The Commissars House (4)
Zon with the Wind (A32)
Tettau's Attack (A33)
Timoshenko's Attack (G1)
A Meeting of Patrols (A29)
Stryker's Charge (SP51)
The Mius Trap (SP79)

I'm looking for a number of things when I put a scenario on my "want to play" list. Fast paced, opportunities for both defender and attacker (which leads to a high replay value)... Played most of these at different tourneys and get-togethers and have seen others play them as well.

What more? Oh, I like things like "The American MMC taking the third* MC [...] of the game [...] goes berserk before the dice are rolled." (SP51) and using three different boards in three different battles.(G1)

- H

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
list

I would like to add:
ASL A7 Slamming Of The Door

Played this "oldie" recently and it's amazingly how well this scenario afterwards reflects the story/aftermath. Very well crafted!

So a list could be:
Slamming Of The Door
Shklov's Labors Lost
Merzenhausen Zoo
Silesian Interlude
Acts Of Defiance

graydo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ON TOP ASL said:
I would like to add:

Played this "oldie" recently and it's amazingly how well this scenario afterwards reflects the story/aftermath. Very well crafted!
I'll second that, I remember playing Slamming of the Door back in CoI days and it still is a great scenario.

dave

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
ON TOP ASL said:
I would like to add:

Playing it now, as a matter of fact! Not for the first time, I might add. Might be a bit difficult for the russians but I don't mind putting it on the list...
:smoke:

- H

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bebakken said:
I simply believe that anything that bills itself as "ASL" should only include items that are legally and officially "Advanced Squad Leader".
IMHO, ASL is anything played with the ASL Rules. That's my only requirement.

There are far too may great scenarios which are non-"official" (and, by extension, far too many official "dogs") to assume that the "official" stamp means anything at all in regards to scenario quality.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas Argent said:
IMHO, ASL is anything played with the ASL Rules. That's my only requirement.

There are far too may great scenarios which are non-"official" (and, by extension, far too many official "dogs") to assume that the "official" stamp means anything at all in regards to scenario quality.
Good point! And I am going to add that the amount of official scenarios that are re-do's of previously non-official published is increasing.

Keith

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert, I have added one scenario (SP96) from my email dated 11/4. Played it last weekend and it went down to the last CC of the game.

My only criteria besides yours was that I had to have actually played it to make my list. None of that "Gee, it *looks* like a classic."

1. J1 - Urban Guerillas
2. WCW7 - Eye of the Tiger
3. CH14 - Ninety Minute War
4. J34 - Men of the Mountains
5. RB3 - Bread Factory 2
6. SP96 - Husum Hotfoot
7. RB6 - Turned Away
8. A32 - Zon with the Wind

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Houlie said:
Robert, I have added one scenario (SP96) from my email dated 11/4.
Unfortunately it has to be a scenario from 2001 or earlier to qualify...
The scenarios must be published before 2002. So, any scenario published in 2001 or earlier qualifies.
:OHNO:

-H

(Schwerpunkt #8 with Husum Hotfoot is from 2002)