Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was going to say pretty much the same thing Zoltan, but you beat me to it! :D

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, there are lots of scenarios, and many don't get played because of the dilution.
I don't see this as a problem. For me, a HoF scenario isn't merely one that is a
great scenario in and of itself. A great scenario in a pack no one has is like the
proverbial tree falling in a forest with nobody around to hear it. A HoF scenario
should be one that is not only a great scenario, but is also widely recognized as
such by the general ASL community. That would seem to give official scenarios an
advantage since they are seen and played by more people. How many scenarios quoted
so far in this thread are official? I am curious whether this list will be in the
next Journal, and if so, will MMP want the list to include only official scenarios?

I do think Bruce has a point, however, about using this group as the selection
committee. Is it broad enough? I think when Wolkster first did this, it was on
the ASLML, which seemed to be pretty broad-based. What do you say Rob? But even
if this selection weren't official, it's still an interesting and worthy thread.
I'd much rather talk about scenarios than follow many of the other thread topics.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
<snip>, and,

"Second, I believe that any true "ASL Hall Of Fame" must be Official ASL; it must have the ASL logo on it."

Precisely why all my pics are "official" scenarios.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruce, you sure are being a conscientious objector a lot these days.

da priest

Reaction score
Mark Warren said:
I'm pretty sure Ron put a copy of Rob's mail on the ASLML and there have been replies to it.
Yep, and it is up on the ConSim site too, about as "broad" as we can get.

Also, vague recall over on ConSim MMP said didn't mind non-MMP/AH scenarios on list either.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>A HoF scenario should be one that is not only a great scenario, but is also widely recognized as such by the general ASL community.

I agree. The scenario HoF was modeled after the National Football League's HoF. There might be some awesome American football players in Peru, South Africa or Melbourne, but they have to be recoginized by the general public. Which is us.

>That would seem to give official scenarios an advantage since they are seen and played by more people. How many scenarios quoted so far in this thread are official? I am curious whether this list will be in the
next Journal, and if so, will MMP want the list to include only official scenarios?

I have contacted third parties and asked them if their scenario was chosen to the scenario HoF if I could have permission to get them printed in the Journal with the HoF article. No response from any of them. It would seem to be a WIN/WIN/WIN situation for all parties involved. The 3rd Parties would benefit from getting more exposure and to show that, "Hey, we produce awesome scenarios." MMP would benefit by allowing to put these scenarios in their zine. The players would benefit, because many don't have these scenarios and can now play them.

Speaking of which, anybody know Mark Neukom's phone number? I used to have it, but can't find it.

>I do think Bruce has a point, however, about using this group as the selection committee. Is it broad enough? I think when Wolkster first did this, it was on the ASLML, which seemed to be pretty broad-based. What do you say Rob?

I have asked for HoF suggestions from here, ConsimWorld and the ASLML. EVERYONE (with internet access) is allowed to vote. A newbie who has played 20 scenarios has the same say on the scenarios he's played and suggested as the veteran who has played 1000+ scenarios.

> But even if this selection weren't official, it's still an interesting and worthy thread.

I've always thought that players love to talk about scenarios. They are always telling someone else, "Just play this scenario, it's awesome. You have GOT to play it."

The scenario HoF is an opportunity for EVERYONE to tell every ASLer who buys the Journal that "These are the very finest scenarios EVER. If you play one you will not be disappointed." Plus, it is a good way to show recognition to the hard working scenario designers.

The four inaugural members (non Beginning/Teaching) to the scenario HoF were:

Acts of Defiance
Hill 621
Cold Crocodiles
White Tigers

When I look at those four scenarios I smile. Because we ASL players did a KICK ASS job of selecting the VERY BEST in terms of quality, excitement, tenseness and re-playability. I can think of a few more that should be up there, but not above these four."

If you haven't played any of these four all I can say is, "Try them. Trust us."

ASL has always been a game about sharing the wealth. There is a bond among ASL players, which is why we return year after year to those same old tournaments. We enjoy each others company, the stories, the agony, the screams AND scenario recommendations.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be a part of that?

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely Rob. I love scenario discussion. I think I nominated a worthy group of
ten. There were many that I think are fantastic but had to leave off my list to
stick with only ten. Since this discussion is going to generate a large list of
scenarios, what is your plan for paring it down for the actual voting? What will be
the criteria for a scenario getting selected to the Hall? Will it be simply the top
5 vote-getters, or any scenario that gets a certain percentage of votes, or what?
Is there an upper limit to how many can be in this class?

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas Argent said:
So do you not PLAY "non-official" scenarios?
Well, the question is a bit strangely worded, IMO, but I believe the correct response to your query is "no".

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Wolkey said:
I agree. The scenario HoF was modeled after the National Football League's HoF. There might be some awesome American football players in Peru, South Africa or Melbourne, but they have to be recoginized by the general public. Which is us.
Members of the NFL Hall of Fame also have to be NFL Players. Sure, there might indeed be some awesome American football players all over the world. But members of the World Football Leagure do not get voted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

You kind of argued the point for me.

Robert Wolkey said:
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be a part of that?
Well, if you are addressing me, I never said I did not want to be a part of that community. I just have a very narrow view of what constitutes Advanced Squad Leader... Official Advanced Squad Leader.

Go ahead and have your Hall of Fame poll; I really don't mind at all, it just doesn't matter to me. I was just giving my opinion, that's all.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Since this discussion is going to generate a large list of scenarios, what is your plan for paring it down for the actual voting? What will be the criteria for a scenario getting selected to the Hall?

I will take scenario suggestions up to November 30. I will take all scenarios that have been suggested more than once (2+ nominations). Which is why it is important to send me your scenario suggestions (up to 10 sceanrios). This list of scenarios will be presented to the ASL Forum, ConsimWorld and ASLML and everyone will be asked to vote for their Top 5 scenarios from that list.

The 15 scenarios with the most number of votes will be the 'Top 15 Scenarios' and will go to the final round for voting.

>Will it be simply the top 5 vote-getters, or any scenario that gets a certain percentage of votes, or what? Is there an upper limit to how many can be in this class?

After I have received the Top 15 scenarios I will ask everyone to vote on all of these scenarios that they have played. They are to vote YES or NO as to whether or not it belongs in the Scenario Hall of Fame. If you have not played the scenario, DO NOT vote YES/NO on that scenario. Any scenario that gets an 80% YES vote will make it into the HoF.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Rob, are you gathering them from this thread, or should we email them to you separately?

Either one. But, I wouldn't mind you posting them here and also discussing why you chose a particular scenario. It opens up discussion, which many of us love to talk about.

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess that I will put a few of my favorites down.
60 Totsugeki
Euro Pack 57 Red Dragon (it was a blast, but probably is not a good scenario)
SP 22 Tod's Last Stand
RB 3 Bread Factory #2
J 1 Urban Guerillas

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My votes

60 Totsugeki
53 A High Price to Pay
HG3 Bumps Along the Tiddam Road
D18 King of the Hill
J9 A Stiff Fight
TOT32 Denouement
PBP22 Morire In Belleza

Keith

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pleased to see all these votes for the relatively obscure Morire in Belleza, which is a nifty scenario.

I also like the selection above, which isn't all big guns east front.