ASL Scenario 25: Smokescreen

DM Kevin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:salute:

ASL Scenario 25 ("Gavin's Gamble"): SSR 4 / A24.2
SSR 4 states that the initial smokescreen applies to fire traced through any of the affected hexes (i.e., north of the river). It doesn't mention (as per A24.2) fire traced into, within, or out of those hexes.

Is SSR 4 an EXC to A24.2, whereby the SMOKE hindrance only applies to fire traced through the SMOKE hexes north of the river, or does A24.2 ("into, within, or out of") also apply?

As I read SSR 4 (which later states that the additional +1 hindrance DRM for fire out of/within a SMOKE hex does not apply), this seems to imply that the provisions of A24.2 do continue to apply. Correct?

serpico

Reaction score
Gavin's Gamble

:) Kevin,

I haven't played this scenario, however, I wouldn't worry about the provisions of A24.2 as SSR 4 gives you all the info you need to play with the smokescreen.

The highest DRM is +3 no matter how many hexes fire is traced through and SSR 4 says to ignore A24.8 so no additional + 1DRM applies there. I would think any fire out of those hexes incurs only a +3 DRM as well.

The only differences obviously are the Drift rule and the OBA affect on drift accuracy dr.

Since according to SSR 4 you can't use any ordanace SMOKE...the SMOKESCREEN is unigue to this scenario, so only SSR 4 applies.

Hope this helps, this is the way I would play it.

Paul :)

DM Kevin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
serpico said:
:) Kevin,

I haven't played this scenario, however, I wouldn't worry about the provisions of A24.2 as SSR 4 gives you all the info you need to play with the smokescreen.

The highest DRM is +3 no matter how many hexes fire is traced through and SSR 4 says to ignore A24.8 so no additional + 1DRM applies there. I would think any fire out of those hexes incurs only a +3 DRM as well.
Paul:

Roger that. Then, I take it that there is a +3 DRM (in subsequent turns dropped to +2, then +1) for fire traced out of (and into) those SMOKE hexes -- not just "through" them. Right?

Thanks,

Kevin

serpico

Reaction score
Kevin,

Well...I guess it depends on how you interpret "through"...since SSR 4 says the +3, later +2. and finally +1 no matter how many hexes fire is traced through (or out of...) it is still +3 (unlike the chap A rules where the + 3 can be cumulative in different hexes), I would say yes since I assume you're going to be crossing the river? :devil:

At some point you will want to fire back? I'm assuming most German players wouldn't want an un-contested crossing? :cheeky:

Actually, I think this rule is pretty straightforward...it's just an unusal one. I think the designer of the scenario came up with this rule to simplify the process and reduce counter density obviously, not to mention the difficulty of firing through so many hexes.

Regards, Paul :whist: