ASL Scandinavian Open, March 1-5 2023

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I cannot read the tournament rules at ASL SO website... Its me or something is wrong in that page? Could you post them or send them to me? (As far as I remember there were ASL SO rules regarding OBA and Snap shot, but cannot remember more....) TIA

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I cannot read the tournament rules at ASL SO website... Its me or something is wrong in that page? Could you post them or send them to me? (As far as I remember there were ASL SO rules regarding OBA and Snap shot, but cannot remember more....) TIA
There has been a few issues with that. I think it is a "security" thing. I still access the pages, no problem though. You can try different browsers and/or deleting cookies.

We do indeed have special rules on OBA and Snap shots.
I hope we can have a better description on one or two of these TSR's before the tournament starts. Just to avoid confusion. These are out Tournament Special Rules:

RULES
The tournament uses the official ASL Rules, 2nd. edition, with the exceptions of the TOURNAMENT SSR's as mentioned below

ASO TSR 1
- Kindling is NA in all scenarios (B25.11)

ASO TSR 2
  • No Snap-shots are allowed against a unit moving away from a hedge/wall if LOS to the hex entered is blocked by the hedge/wall.
  • No snap-shots are allowed against a unit in a higher elevation if the hex entered is not in the firing units LOS.
ASO TSR 3
- If the scenario contains OBA please use the following “Pleva Rule”: Each red card/chit drawn as per C1.21 is mixed back into the pile, along with another red card/chit. Battery access is never lost due to drawing two red cards/chits. Extra card draw mechanics remain the same.

ASO TSR 4
- In all scenarios, with building control, building hex control or building location control rubbled building hexes still counts for Victory Condition purposes. Note, falling rubble outside original building hexes does not count for Victory Condition Purposes.

ASO TSR 5
- For vehicular mounted FT TK attempt vs an enemy AFV the following TK DRM apply:
Case A DRMs
Firer in Motion +2
Target in Motion +2
Concealed AFV +2
Regardless of the DRMs an Original DR of 2 is a Burn result and an Original DR of 3 is an Elim result if not already a Burn result.

ASO TSR 6
Radios and Phones malfunction on a Radio Contact/Maintenance DR of 12. Radios have an R# value of 2. Phones have an R# value of 2. Both have no X#. (C1.22-C1.23)

ASO TSR 7
Amendment to B26.53 (in bold): Whenever a fully-tracked vehicle passes a Bog check when entering a Wire hex through non-VBM, it removes that Wire counter from the hex if the colored dr of the Bog DR is 1.

ASO TSR 8
Vehicle crews are treated as SMC for Control purposes.

Last edited:

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
SPONSOR SHOUTOUT

Scandinavian Open would like to acknowledge our Sponsors for 2023. Our sponsors helps us award prizes to the participants of the tournament. We award prizes for – The winner, Runner up, Top-10 places, Mini Tournament Winners, Newcomers and anyone else we see fit to award prizes to :)

We have the following Sponsors in 2023:

Le Franc Tireur
(https://www.lefranctireur.org/) have once again provided the heaviest package of goodies for the Prize table. Multimanpublishing (www.multimanpublishing.com) who continue to provide us with the best stuff hot off the presses. Andreas Carlson and Trojan Games (www.trojangames.se) who has supported our Tournament for over 20 years. Keys Games and Hobbies who, similarly to Le Franc Tireur, has submitted a significant care package due to the loyal customers in the Danish ASL community. Bounding Fire Productions (www.boundingfire.com) and Lone Canuck Publishing (www.lonecanuckpublishing.ca) who has both been consistent supporters of the tournament for years providing scenario packs and gift cards.

Last – but not least – the most recent addition among our sponsors. Broken Ground Design (http://www.brokenground.design) who volunteered to provide us with some of their creative self-stick overlays and Nationality Specific bonus countersheets.

Thank you for your continued support

Last edited:

bergwall

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Can someone please post the what to bring list here. The links on the website does not work for me. Thanks!!

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
SCANDINAVIAN OPEN 2023 is well under way with friendly gaming wednesday and thursday and preparations for the Main Tournament. 15 players arrived to play friendly games on wednesday and an additional 4 players arrived to pay friendly games on thursday. This is record-breaking number of players for friendly gaming at ASO.

The main tournament starts friday morning with 32 players expected to play in the main tournament. Over the course of the weekend from friday to sunday another 10-14 players are expected to show up for friendly gaming and mini tournaments.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
With 3 rounds in the books Scandinavian Open once again can prepare to annoint a first time champion.

In a diceroll heard around the World the two presumptive favorites to win the tournament - Mike McGrath and Michael Hastrup-Leth both failed to win their second round game. Mike's defenses in Sternbecks sortie failed against the relentless onslaught of Olav Heie at the very last close combat dice roll of the game and a similar fate fell upon Michael Hastrup-Leth who fell flat on his face in the Panzer Graveyard against Thomas Harjo.

After the third round we are down to the Final Four in a battle of Sweden vs. Norway. Two Swedes and two Norwegians will battle for finest honors in Copenhagen ASL - Olav Heie, Mathias Bergwall, Jens Thomander and Bjørnar Arstad,

Overall the Team Norway is having an outstanding Scandinavian Open. They are leading "International Team Tournament" ahead of Team Sweden, The International Team ("Outside of Europe"), Team Denmark and Team Europe (European players not from Denmark, Norway or Sweden).

The Victory for the International Team Tournament will come down to a battle between Team Sweden and Norway. The Semifinals of Mathias vs. Thomas and Jens vs. Olav can be a decisive factor.

Last edited:

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
ASO 2023 COMPLETED

The 26th Edition of Scandinavian Open has been completed. 45 players participated in some fashion – by playing in the main tournament, mini tournament or just a couple of friendly games. The crowd included several first timers to the tournament – Brian Wiersma from the United States, Bas and Pieter-Bas from the Netherlands aswell as a trio of Danes getting their first sniff of the ASL Tournament scene.

Thanks to all the participants and Sponsors. Extra shoutout to Juan Santa Cruz who donated some of his time for the betterment of the tournament designing an impressive Diorama of a Panzer IVJ. And thanks again to our sponsors who provided so much stuff that we had to save some of it for next year.

Olav Heie won the final game, defeating Mattias Bergwall. Olav and Mattias battled it out on the low hills of Brittany Speared in a tight contest until Olav managed an obscene amount of shots with his AT Gun running out of targets before running out of ROF. This was Mattias second Scandinavian Open final in a row.

Congratulations Olav
Hopefully third time lucky for Mattias

The International Team Tournament was won by TEAM NORWAY. Team Denmark finished 2nd, Team Rest-of-Europe 3rd, Team Sweden 4th and Team International finished 5th.

TEAM NORWAY 2023:
Bjørnar Arstad
Hans Bugge
Ketil Høgenhaug
Oddgeir Drevdal
Olav Heie
Thomas Harjo
Øyvind Bjørkås

PlayerNationality
First Loss
Olav HeieNorway
15​
1636​
no loss​
5 wins
Mattias BergwallSWE
13​
1566​
5​
4 wins 1 loss
Mike McGrathUSA
13​
1673​
2​
4 wins 1 loss
Michael Hastrup-LethDK
13​
1654​
2​
4 wins 1 loss
Kåre JacobsenDK
13​
1587​
1​
4 wins 1 loss
Bjørnar ArstadNorway
11​
1714​
4​
3 wins 2 losses
Jens ThomanderSWE
11​
1691​
4​
3 wins 2 losses
Svante SandblomSWE
11​
1667​
3​
3 wins 2 losses
Thomas HarjoNorway
11​
1667​
3​
3 wins 2 losses
Brian WiersmaUSA
11​
1655​
2​
3 wins 2 losses
Ketil HøgenhaugNorway
11​
1604​
2​
3 wins 2 losses
Arnaud SanchisFrance
11​
1586​
2​
3 wins 2 losses
Olivier DietschFRA
11​
1561​
2​
3 wins 2 losses
Andreas CarlssonSWE
11​
1540​
1​
3 wins 2 losses
Martin HoumøllerDK
11​
1538​
1​
3 wins 2 losses
Jonathan KayCanada
9​
1633​
3​
2 wins 3 losses
Oddgeir DrevdalNorway
9​
1612​
2​
2 wins 3 losses
Niels LarsenDK
9​
1685​
1​
2 wins 3 losses
Carl Alex Friis-NielsenDK
9​
1639​
1​
2 wins 3 losses
Ran ShiloahIsrael
9​
1566​
1​
2 wins 3 losses
Michal SedlackoSlovakia
9​
1548​
1​
2 wins 3 losses
Juan SantacruzSpain
9​
1467​
1​
2 wins 3 losses
Jim BishopUSA
8​
1642​
3​
2 wins 2 losses
Pieter Bas De QvantNetherlands
8​
1519​
1​
2 wins 2 losses
Asad RustumSWE
7​
1589​
1​
1 win 4 losses
Bas Van Der BergNetherlands
7​
1576​
1​
1 win 4 losses
Josh KalmanIsrael
7​
1569​
1​
1 win 4 losses
Jesper OrlandDK
7​
1508​
1​
1 win 4 losses
Øyvind BjørkåsNorway
6​
1658​
1​
1 win 3 losses
Magnus RimvallSWE
5​
1543​
1​
0 win 5 losses

THURSDAY "WO14" MINI TOURNAMENT:
Winner - Juan Santa Cruz
Runner Up - Michal Sedlacko

SATURDAY-SUNDAY MINI TOURNAMENT
Hans Bugge
2-1​
Stefan Fiedler
2-1​
Derek Ward
2-1​
Kirby Vincent
0-3​

FULL LIST OF SPONSORS 2023
Keys Games Emporium
Le Franc Tireur
Trojan Games
Multiman Publishing
Bounding Fire Productions
Lone Canuck Publishing
Broken Ground Design

hastrup

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llDenmark
Hi Stefan and all the rest who attended Scandinavian Open, thanks for a great weekend. I had 9 fun, exciting and several of them nail biting close games - I enjoyed watching, supervising and organising the tournament together with Bo.
We will be return next year - hope to see you all back again ... plus the ones that we missed this year :)
Michael

B.Lizt

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Thank you Bo and Michael for yet another very well organized Scandinavian Open. I always enjoy comming to Copenhagen this time of year to meet old and new friends and play some good games. You pick out very good scenarios, and the balance is good, making even the bidding process enjoyable.

And thanks to all my opponents for tight and fun games. I especially enjoyed our game, Mattias, and as I said, I was very impressed with the way you managed to shift your axis of attack not only once, but twice during this short scenario - you kept me on my toes.

See you all next year.

Olav

hastrup

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llDenmark
Hi Olav - thanks and congratulations. We are looking forward to next year and hope that you and the rest will enjoy the scenarios in 2024 to :)
Michael

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
ASO 2023 COMPLETED (UPDATED WITH APOLOGY)

The ASO crew would like to extend our apologies to ADVANCING FIRE who also contributed as a sponsor to this years Tournament. They generously donated the historic "Prokhorovka" module and two "Tournament Directors Scenario Pack" which were both used in this years prize ceremony and quickly claimed. The absence of previous gratitude had nothing to do with the quality or amount of support (which was excellent and generous) but simply was down to internal miscommunication in the ASO Crew.

Apologies and thank you Sebastiano Caltabiano !!

FULL LIST OF SPONSORS 2023 (UPDATED)
Keys Games Emporium
Le Franc Tireur
Advancing Fire
Trojan Games
Multiman Publishing
Bounding Fire Productions
Lone Canuck Publishing
Broken Ground Design

This will also be updated to our website. Which we desperately need to fix. Help fix our website and we'll give anyone a discount next year :)