ASL SCANDINAVIAN OPEN 2021 – IN AUGUST

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
UPDATE - JUNE 28th
  • CONFIRMING - ASO 2021 will take place as a face-to-face tournament.
  • Replaced a scenario (Mars begins) by AP 169 (The Beasts have arrived)
  • Added SSR to scenario BoF16 (Saluting a General)

Thursday August 12th - Sunday August 15th.

The Main Tournament will, as always, start friday.
There will be friendly gaming on thursday as well.

We have had to find a new tournament facility as Danhostel Amager closes for two years while being rebuild as part of a regional development. Danhostel Ishøj has been chosen as a replacement in 2021. They should be able to provide us with a similar quality all-included venue.

Travel by car to Ishøj is not much different, but it takes a bit longer by train from the airport - 40 min with one change, and 15 min by cab. We will do our best to help those coming from abroad. Hope to see a lot of you here in Copenhagen once again.

Currently we are close to 20 registered players - including a multiple ASLOK Grofaz winner. I do believe that is a first at ASO. With an unusually low number of players it is almost certain that both tournament directors will be playing in the Main Tournament.

REGISTERED PLAYERS
Mike McGrath
Michal Sedlacko
Juan Santacruz
Mattias Bergwall
Jens Thomander
Andreas Carlsson
Svante Sandblom
Magnus Rimvall
Mikael Strand
Thomas Harjo
Hans Bugge
Ketil Høgenhaug
Kenneth Knudsen
Derek Ward
Søren Søndergaard
Kaare Jacobsen
Bo Siemsen
Michael Hastrup-Leth

We are hoping to add more to the list before August.

SCENARIO LIST ASO 2021
There will be no secret round this year.

First round, early start
1 ) BoF16 "Saluting a General" (G2/ R5)
*ASO SSR "Delete a Russian 447 and Exchange two PzIIIG to two PzIIIH"
2 ) SP241 "Esebeck*s Pursuit" (G14/ F9)
3 ) J178 Old Friends" (G27/ A34)

First round, late start
1 ) BoF23 "Anhalt Pandemonium" (G2/ R3)
2 ) 231 "In Front of The Storm" (G16 / F9)
*ASO SSR "Exchange a German 467 for a 247 OB"
3 ) SP150 "The Legrew Manoeuvre" (G35/ A39)

Second round
1 ) WO33 "One Eyed Jacques" (G23/ F25)
2 ) SP269 "Retaking Kharkov" (G13/ R6)
*ASO SSR "Delete one PzIIIN from German OB"
3 ) WO31 "Ma Deuce Delivers" (G15/ A25)
*ASO SSR "Exchange one 666 for a 346"

Third round
1 ) DB157 "Morning Massacre" (G8/ A11)
2 ) BoF17 "No Time to Bleed" (G3/ R0)
3 ) RPT139 "Mauled at Merdorp" (G13/ F16)

Fourth round
1) AP 169 "The Beasts have arrived" (R5/G6)
2) 233 "Failure to Communicate" (G6/ F8)
*ASO SSR "Exchange one French 458 for a 248"
3) AP100 "Coal in Their Stockings" (G38/ A40)

Fifth round
1 ) SP220 "Hoepner's Edict" (G7/F14)
*ASO SSR "Add a PzIIF to German OB"
2 ) J63 "Silesian Interlude" (G114/R133)
3 ) SP204 "Yankee Pride" (G44/A45)

Bo and Michael /ASO
bo.siemsen@gmail.com
hastrupleth@gmail.com

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
ASL Scandinavian Open 2020 was - as far as we know - the last international face to face tournament before Covid-19 hit us all.
Well, I attended Heroes 2020 in Blackpool a week after I attended Scandinavian Open 2020. Thanks to the attendance of Rich Domovic and me, Heroes 2020 was a true International FtF tournament 😂😂😂.

Great to hear that you plan for a ASO 2021. Assuming I have been vaccinated by then I will definitely attend.

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
I will try to convince my wife to visit such beautiful country ... while I will play the best game ever played on earth!
Let’s see if I still have the sexy touch I had 40 years ago....

PS: I believe Saint Louis in July was last 2020 FtF gathering..... I missed because I was in quarantine..... 😢

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
PS: I believe Saint Louis in July was last 2020 FtF gathering..... I missed because I was in quarantine..... 😢
well, Supporting Fire in Borås, Sweden, on November 20-22 2020 was probably THE last FtF ASL tournament of this year. The FtF portion was not international though, as all 12 participants were Swedes.

Sweden started prohibiting meetings with more than 8 attendees 2 days after the tournament.

As for me, I participated together with a couple of Danes in the shortened VASL version.

PS. There was also the Finnish Sissukoni FtF tournament in Helsinki in August. Only Finns participated, though.

PPS. If we include the Bodø tournament in January 2020, and the Friendly Fire tournament in Linköping in September, FIVE FtF ASL tournaments were held in the Nordic countries in 2020. What a vibrant community!!! And few Swedes - apart from me - care about the virus...

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
well, Supporting Fire in Borås, Sweden, on November 20-22 2020 was probably THE last FtF ASL tournament of this year. The FtF portion was not international though, as all 12 participants were Swedes.
I agree, you are probably right, the quarantine Italian did not make the Saint Louis tournament international.
It is interesting to highlight however that, including the nordics, few FtF tournaments/gatherings took place. I forgot as well the Rome 2020 hold in October.
Let’s see if in spring we will have more opportunities to gathering together FtF, no matter where.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I will go indeed next year (if I got my vaccine first.... and this is Spain... )

And I will spend a one or two days before the tournament going to Grundtvig Church, see jaegersborg Oaks, maybe to Roskilde to take a ride in a drakkar, I don´t know...

hastrup

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llDenmark
We cross our finger and hope for the best, It would be nice to meet a lot of you here in Copenhagen again.
Thanks for our game at ASO this year Juan, it was a pleasure playing with you. Your two Panthers killed a lot of my Shermans making it a close game :)

bergwall

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
ASL Scandinavian Open 2020 was - as far as we know - the last international face to face tournament before Covid-19 hit us all.

We have decided in 2021 to postpone the tournament from the usual late February date until later in the year when we hope things are starting to normalize a bit. Our hope and ambition is that ASO remains a face to face tournament – and looking at the current calender it could be one of the first international tournaments to return post Covid :)

Our current plans is to host a tournament starting Friday June 11th - Sunday June 13th.

best regards, Merry Christmas happy new year :)

Bo and Michael /ASO
bo.siemsen@gmail.com
hastrupleth@gmail.com
YES!!! EVERYTHING WILL BE OK AGAIN!!!

Stay healthy out there and hope to see you in June in Copenhagen!

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
We cross our finger and hope for the best, It would be nice to meet a lot of you here in Copenhagen again.
Thanks for our game at ASO this year Juan, it was a pleasure playing with you. Your two Panthers killed a lot of my Shermans making it a close game :)
It was my sniper... All your shermans were killed or recalled, the same as all my infantry (I brag a lot of it with my friends!! LoL) ... But I had no chance against your dancing shermans with sM8...but you kept them CE to get that extra smoke.

I think your tournament is great!!! If I got the vaccine, for sure I will go!

Pd: I have learnt a few things after Copenhagen... Where can I use delay MP, how to change my CA against diferent menaces, and to read carefully the scenario card...

Last edited:

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Apologies for jumping to conclusions about the status of ASO 2020. That's what happens when we dont bother to actually do research before writing a message :) . It certainly was the last tournament in the general vicinity of Copenhagen.

We are delighted with the response so far and hopeful that ASO 2021 will be a good one.

bergwall

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Apologies for jumping to conclusions about the status of ASO 2020. That's what happens when we dont bother to actually do research before writing a message :) . It certainly was the last tournament in the general vicinity of Copenhagen.

We are delighted with the response so far and hopeful that ASO 2021 will be a good one.
😂😂😂 Probably ASO was the ”most” international last tournament before covid-19 shutdown.
Attention to detail!!!

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
😂😂😂 Probably ASO was the ”most” international last tournament before covid-19 shutdown.
Attention to detail!!!
interesting point, now define “most international”😎😎. Number of countries attending? Define a country!!!

However, even if we counted the Scotts as being from a separate country, ASO certainly had more countries represented than Blackpool, borås, Rome, and Linkōping, combined😀😀😀.

Reminds me of a sign at Berkeley in the mid 80’s - paraphrased: “Berkeley has more nobel laureates in physics than England, Germany, Soviet Union and France, combined !!!”

Last edited:

bergwall

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
interesting point, now define “most international”😎😎. Number of countries attending? Define a country!!!

However, even if we counted the Scotts as being from a separate country, ASO certainly had more countries represented than Blackpool, borås, Rome, and Linkōping, combined😀😀😀.

Reminds me of a sign at Berkeley in the mid 80’s - paraphrased: “Berkeley has more nobel laureates in physics than England, Germany, Soviet Union and France, combined !!!”
Totally agree! Michael & Bo got it right!

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
SCENARIO LIST ASO 2021
Michael has compiled the final scenario list for ASO 2021. There will be no secret round this year.
Still working on the remaining details for the tournament.

First round, early start
1 ) BoF16 "Saluting a General" (G2/ R5)
2 ) SP241 "Esebeck*s Pursuit" (G14/ F9)
3 ) J178 Old Friends" (G27/ A34)

First round, late start
1 ) BoF23 "Anhalt Pandemonium" (G2/ R3)
2 ) 231 "In Front of The Storm" (G16 / F9)
*ASO SSR "Exchange a German 467 for a 247 OB"
3 ) SP150 "The Legrew Manoeuvre" (G35/ A39)

Second round
1 ) WO33 "One Eyed Jacques" (G23/ F25)
2 ) SP269 "Retaking Kharkov" (G13/ R6)
*ASO SSR "Delete one PzIIIN from German OB"
3 ) WO31 "Ma Deuce Delivers" (G15/ A25)
*ASO SSR "Exchange one 666 for a 346"

Third round
1 ) DB157 "Morning Massacre" (G8/ A11)
2 ) BoF17 "No Time to Bleed" (G3/ R0)
3 ) RPT139 "Mauled at Merdorp" (G13/ F16)

Fourth round
1) RPT 154 "Mars Begins" (G4/R1)
*ASO SSR 1 "Delete one 468 and one ATR from German OB"
*ASO SSR 2 "in SSR 2; delete the Pre-Reg hex"
*ASO SSR 3 "AP mines may not be exchanged for AT mines "
2) 233 "Failure to Communicate" (G6/ F8)
*ASO SSR "Exchange one French 458 for a 248"
3) AP100 "Coal in Their Stockings" (G38/ A40)

Fifth round
1 ) SP220 "Hoepner's Edict" (G7/F14)
*ASO SSR "Add a PzIIF to German OB"
2 ) J63 "Silesian Interlude" (G114/R133)
3 ) SP204 "Yankee Pride" (G44/A45)

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Thanks for posting the scenario list.

Sincerely hoping I will be able to attend (Swedes in my age group should be vaccinated by then, only potential obstacle will be any remaining travel restrictions).

Reactions: Del

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Have anyone heard any news about the Swedish-Danish border? Will it be possible with‚ or without, vaccination?

(I realize this is a stupid question since you guys probably don't know more than anybode else, but maybe someone knows something)