ASL SCANDINAVIAN OPEN 2020 (February 26th - March 1st)

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
The preparations for the 2020 Edition of the Scandinavian Open are well under way – and the first players have already stated their intention to participate. This will be our 23rd Tournament in Copenhagen. The tournament will again be held at Danhostel Amager, the location that has served us so well in recent years.

The Tournament will once again be a 5 day event with Friendly gaming (and/or mini tournaments) Wednesday and Thursday and the classic 5 round ASO main tournament starting friday running through sunday. There will also be mini tournaments Saturday and Sunday. The friendly gaming Wednesday and Thursday will take place at the same venue as the main tournament, so you can see it as a chance to warm up for the main tournament or just a chance to play some new opponents in a friendly atmosphere.

We are in the process of figuring out the exact prices with our Tournament Venue but we know that it will be more or less the same as in 2019. Please visit our website and find the (not yet updated) prices for your stay [under when & where]. We will update shortly, when we have the final prices.

Contact Michael Hastrup-Leth (hastrupleth@gmail.com) or Bo Siemsen (bo.siemsen@gmail.com) for registration and a specific price for your stay.

Updates with regards to registered players, scenarios, ABS etc. will be made available on our website leading up to the tournament. Updates will also be announced in the Gamesquad forums in this thread.

More details at our website (working to modernize the old wonky website):
http://asl-so.dk/

See you in Copenhagen
Bo Siemsen & Michael Hastrup-Leth

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
We have updated our Website. Added a list of the first 24 registrations. Also updated the cost to participate. There is a slight increase in cost from last year of roughly 5€ per day. Feel free to contact us for the cost of your stay.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
The Scenario selection for the main tournament at ASO 2020 is ready. We may yet add ASO balancing provisions for some scenarios upon further testing. We will announce that here and at our website.

The scans of the scenarios are ready and we can send them to participants. Just contact us and we will send it to you.

This is the list:

ROUND 1 (early start)
J152 “Messenger Boys” (G41/B34)
J1 “Urban Gurillas” (G147/ R187)
RPT “Meet me at the station” (G7/R9)

ROUND 1 (late start)
AP 141 “Currie’s Favor” (G2/ B6)
A70 “Wintergewitter” (G158/R127)
ASL Scenario 23 “Under the Noel Trees” (G209/A204)

ROUND 2
AP138 “Red Horse Recon” (G1/ A2)
FrF23 “Elephants Unleashed” (G57/R57)
HS30 “The Good Shepherd” (G33/C21)

ROUND 3
AP142 “The Closer” (G2/ B0)
BFP22 Speed over Caution (G39/A34)
FrF 97 Wrecking the Rentals” (G8/R7)

ROUND 4
Secret round

ROUND 5
AP 34 “Bocage Blockage” (G51/A41)
FrF 58 “Order 831” (G43/R33)
SP 123 “The Badgers breath” (G45/C57)

The list of registered participants is around 35 currently with additional players to be added, pending confirmation.

Details at our website:

See you in Copenhagen
Bo Siemsen & Michael Hastrup-Leth

Last edited:

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Good scenario selection.

Had a look on your web site, are you gearing Up for country teams? Denmark, Sweden, norway and internationals? Seemed so when looking om the Sorting of the name list.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Good scenario selection.

Had a look on your web site, are you gearing Up for country teams? Denmark, Sweden, norway and internationals? Seemed so when looking om the Sorting of the name list.
Well spotted. We weren't going to say anything yet, as it isn't fully planned. But since you ask :)
We are considering how we can run a contest among nationalities. Inspired by ASLOK's USA vs. Europe competition. It will not interfere with the regular tournaments at all. But the idea is to track the results of the different nationalities and then see who wins. Something along those lines.

Best Regards
Bo

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
We are considering how we can run a contest among nationalities. Inspired by ASLOK's USA vs. Europe competition.
Too bad the attending Swedes have to fight with one arm behind their back due to the ongoing boycott of this excellent tournament by some of the better Swedish ASL players. I will nevertheless do my terrible best, but if last years winner Rich Domovicsson is attending again (as maybe the only US player?), it seems more fair to all parties that you group him with the Swedes (Domovicsson is clearly a Swedish name :)).

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Too bad the attending Swedes have to fight with one arm behind their back due to the ongoing boycott of this excellent tournament by some of the better Swedish ASL players. I will nevertheless do my terrible best, but if last years winner Rich Domovicsson is attending again (as maybe the only US player?), it seems more fair to all parties that you group him with the Swedes (Domovicsson is clearly a Swedish name :)).
Boycotting o_O??! I have missed that! Should I withdraw my attendance to support the boycotting so that I don't condone something heinous?

:giggle:

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Should I withdraw my attendance to support the boycotting so that I don't condone something heinous?
(Edited to reflect the sensitivity of one of the Danish TD's).

ASO enforces the following rule:

At ASO we consider Battleschool dice acceptable as precision dice and they are allowed if; "They have dots from 2 to 6, and only a symbol on the 1 side. The symbol may not be engraved but have to be a thin film applied to the die”

Some do not like that. Me, I just want to have a good time at a great tournament.

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
A little tease towards the Danish TD's (I cannot resist :)).

I try to second-guess all TD's by trying to play scenarios likely to appear at future tournaments. Last year I had played 100% of the scenarios in round 1-3 in Copenhagen, but only 0% in the 5th round (which was published after I had teased the TD's about my 100%, not that this fact would influence the TD's to select the most obscure scenarios available for the 5th round, I am sure :) ).

This year I have played only 10 of the 15 published scenarios (or 67%), plus an 11th which is on my playlist. Meaning I still outguess you Danes better than the 46% by which I outguess the average TD, but you are getting better at it :) . Thanks for cutting down on my preparation time :) .

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Too bad the attending Swedes have to fight with one arm behind their back due to the ongoing boycott of this excellent tournament by some of the better Swedish ASL players.
We are not interested to play with non-precion dice and watch candy dice with butt ugly dice symbols for 5-30 hours in a tournament setting.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
From the scriptures

A.1 DICE: The rules often require use of a colored die to differentiate it from the other die in use. A set of four dice of different colors is included in ASL Module 1:BEYOND VALOR. A white die and one of the colored dice are rolled simultaneously and summed normally for most purposes, but occasionally the colored dr will take on added significance either by itself or in comparison to the white dr.

I think this means NO dices, precision or not, that was not in ASL Module 1:BEYOND VALOR can be used.

I am severely concerned about the widespread use of precision dices (apart from breaking the A.1 of course) is affecting the BALANCE of the whole game. It is a fact that the ASL rules and most of the scenarios were designed while using non precision dices and the implications of the heretic use of alternate dices, precision or other, is extreme.

This also means that players rolling dices where one is not white (and of course from Beyond Valor) will loose the games for rule breaches. This has potential to substantially better my win/loss record :)

I think I will keep this in mind next time.

By the way anyone know how to verify that the dices are ORIGINAL and usable according to the RULES i.e. from Beyond Valor?

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
From the scriptures

A.1 DICE: The rules often require use of a colored die to differentiate it from the other die in use. A set of four dice of different colors is included in ASL Module 1:BEYOND VALOR. A white die and one of the colored dice are rolled simultaneously and summed normally for most purposes, but occasionally the colored dr will take on added significance either by itself or in comparison to the white dr.

I think this means NO dices, precision or not, that was not in ASL Module 1:BEYOND VALOR can be used.

I am severely concerned about the widespread use of precision dices (apart from breaking the A.1 of course) is affecting the BALANCE of the whole game. It is a fact that the ASL rules and most of the scenarios were designed while using non precision dices and the implications of the heretic use of alternate dices, precision or other, is extreme.

This also means that players rolling dices where one is not white (and of course from Beyond Valor) will loose the games for rule breaches. This has potential to substantially better my win/loss record :)

I think I will keep this in mind next time.

By the way anyone know how to verify that the dices are ORIGINAL and usable according to the RULES i.e. from Beyond Valor?
Well, I don't think A.1 says you have to use the dice in Beyond Valor, it only reminds you that a set of four came in Beyond Valor. It does say one rolls a white die and a colored die to obtain results but doesn't require those dice come from Beyond Valor. More concerning to me is the pre-judge of my die's pigment. What if my blue die self identifies as a white one? What if my white one self identifies as a red one? -- jim

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been looking in the rules but can't find where it says you should use a dice cup, not a tower...or do I have that rule wrong too?

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Our Website has been updated
  • Updated list of registered participants. Stands at 39
  • Replaced scenario in round 3 on scenario list (New: Speed over caution)
  • Added Clarifications to 3 scenarios in "ABS and Special Rules"
There was an error in the scenario list posted at our website. A few late changes caused a bit of mistakes. In round 3 Schloss Hemmingstein was replaced by Speed over Caution. Website updated and I also updated the scenario list as posted above. We are also very delighted to welcome back multiple times ASO winner Toby Pilling. Among others.

Details at our website:

Best Regards
Bo & Michael

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really did not like the lutefisk my ex-wife insisted we eat at Christmas.

Will gladly share any six sided dice in a game.

Rich

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
I really did not like the lutefisk my ex-wife insisted we eat at Christmas.
You lucky bastard!!! Ex-wife=No more Lutfisk.

In my case the mother-in-law brings the Lutfisk, What can i do??? :)

welcome to copenhagen, Rich!!!