ASL Scandinavian Open 2009 scenario list

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It does ?
nah, I just got the impression that you felt you could and apparantly should speak on behalf of a bunch of Danish players. I wanted to point out that you didn't speak on my behalf. That's all. I hope you don't mind that too much.
ah, so you can...:)

The Hellenic reference was merely an example as to what players 'could' potentially do with regards to informing TD's of a potential problematic scenario. Looks like we may have a troublesome scenario in the 2010 ASO Pack as it was pointed out to us. It will be looked at prior to the tourney.
...and how many times have you been notified about that type of scenario after your selection has been done, none I should bet.

Considering that you have had about 20 scenarios of such unbalanced nature throughout the years, many of them worse than this scenario example.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Looks like we may have a troublesome scenario in the 2010 ASO Pack as it was pointed out to us. It will be looked at prior to the tourney.
Indeed, placed under the microscope by the best European players, the scenarios of the Schwerpunkt 15 Pack selected for ASO10 might not escape unscathed :laugh:
Best wishes for the TDs, but I'm confident on their skills to solve any problem that may arise.

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perhaps this thread should be allowed to rest in peace, instead of being brought back to life, like some decaying zombie. All it seems to do is stir up bad feelings. However...

Regarding 'Helenic Expedition', I think the scenario is probably 'highly unbalanced' rather than broken - because it does not require any manipulation of the rules (voluntarily disabling MA, bailing out, rubbling buildings to preclude building control, etc) to assure the defender win.

As such, I may not have been so diligent in alerting the TDs to that fact than I was when I learnt about the manhandling gambit in 'Old Hickory', and alerted the TD of Heroes, who promptly issued a tournament SSR preventing it. Also, if I felt the other scenarios in the round were OK balance wise, I'd have realised I could just ditch it anyway. Certainly, unlike Mr T, I feel it is a duty of all players to alert TDs to scenario flaws (though I would not pretend I am particularly good at spotting them) and do what Mel calls 'Red Flagging' where I can. As I said previously, I also try to avoid discussing strategy and tactics on tournament scenarios before they have been played, as I feel it could influence other peoples games - but that is just a personal preference.

On a positive note though, I'm actually quite keen to play 'Helenic Expedition' as the allies to see if I could beat the unbeatable.
As virtually the whole defending OB is HIP, the attacker must take a huge risk on turn one if he thinks the defender has gone for the rearward defence. I'm thinking what is required is a huge charge up the road on the right with Shermans and riders, pumping smoke about, followed by double-timing platoons with leaders. Of course, if the defender has a standard defence, you get peppered! It's the sort of scenario where if you don't guess right, it's all over by turn one.
What are other thoughts on overcoming the 'rearward defence'? I'd wager each will involve quite a gamble.

Ronnblom

Swedish Terminator
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It's hard to gain time by using riders - the infantry will get to most places it wants to be just as fast running/walking. In a playtest version of the scenario I had a SSR disallowing riders, but then I came to the conclusion they wouldn't be effective, so I removed it (at least I think I removed it, I don't have the scenario in front of me). Historically, Greek-NZ tank-infantry coordination was very poor.

I would rather use the Shermans to start pounding the rear buildings as soon as possible. Driving up on the (Greek) left flank might do this job. Ideally, you will forbid effective German skulking in the rear buildings.