ASL Red Barricades CG III

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, Bob and I decided to retry RB CG III with me once more taking the Russians. Question, should I start a new RB thread or continue with this one?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd say start a new one. Easier to follow along with less clutter.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Ok will start a new RB thread once our campaign commences. Tried to play scenarios like rebels without a pause, belgian blitzkrieg, grab and go and a few more but those scenarios just felt like the same thing over and over again IE 2 boards, guys enter on, than reinforcements enter on rinse and repeat. So basically I am super happy to be getting back to the barricady for some real ASL action.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You should consider giving Rees a try. I'm on day 4 of 5 day CG and it's a blast.
What is Rees ?

Scotty prefers CG-III over CG - I. To me 13 battle dates in CG - I is a bit more manageable than the 30 that CG- III presents. Victory conditions in CG-I require just the factories west of hexrow U north of the gully to be conquored by the Jerries. So in theory for CG -I the Commisars house is not part of the VC. I can see it as a major strategic location as it will allow the Germans to fire into the Ruskie's fanny when they are skulking in the factories.

Question: why or why not is CG III better than CG I ???

fyi - I found CG-II to be completely unwinnable as the Russians.

Last edited:

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is Rees ?
From the last DftB it's actually called Operation Turnscrew. It is a 5 date CG 1945 German vs. British. Lots of cool toys, interesting SSRs, relatively fluid despite its smallish size. Squad density is 20-30 per side.

Here are some threads related to it:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/operation-turnscrew-rees.129187/

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/dispatches-from-bunker-operation-turnscrew-sniper-questions.130127/

I give this one 2 big thumbs up. I especially like that 2 fast players can finish a CG date in 5-8 hours.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those two threads really did not tell us much about the rees CG other than it has errata so far for the sniper special rules. So my questions are what variety does this CG bring to the table? Are there alot of strange special rules? (the sniper I guess being one of them). What are the RG's like? Is this one of those CG's where your taking a hammer to a walnut IE a very strong attack vs a low quality (unit wise) defense?

Once more I think what many designers fail to understand is what makes RB such an enduring CG vs a CG that is loaded up with all kinds of wonky rules and really does not give either the attacker or defender much wiggle room to do more than either hunker down or grind out the attack. Great CG's are tough to design, thats why you only two great CG's RB and KGP. Both offer a wide range of both attacks and defenses that are lacking in CG's nowadays.

Lastly, the rees CG requires me to go and either piece together a printed out version of the map or go to kinkos or some printer to get the map printed out. This something I am not willing to do, on the other hand I am sure since DftB is buddy buddy with MMP, perhaps MMP could put an official version of the rees CG in one of their Journals. That I would than buy.

Scott

From the last DftB it's actually called Operation Turnscrew. It is a 5 date CG 1945 German vs. British. Lots of cool toys, interesting SSRs, relatively fluid despite its smallish size. Squad density is 20-30 per side.

Here are some threads related to it:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/operation-turnscrew-rees.129187/

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/dispatches-from-bunker-operation-turnscrew-sniper-questions.130127/

I give this one 2 big thumbs up. I especially like that 2 fast players can finish a CG date in 5-8 hours.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Somebody answered three questions about the Sniper rules and that makes it errata? Classic.:rolleyes:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, you could also play it on VASL if you can't spring for the $8 to have it printed.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those two threads really did not tell us much about the rees CG other than it has errata so far for the sniper special rules. So my questions are what variety does this CG bring to the table? Are there alot of strange special rules? (the sniper I guess being one of them). What are the RG's like? Is this one of those CG's where your taking a hammer to a walnut IE a very strong attack vs a low quality (unit wise) defense?

Once more I think what many designers fail to understand is what makes RB such an enduring CG vs a CG that is loaded up with all kinds of wonky rules and really does not give either the attacker or defender much wiggle room to do more than either hunker down or grind out the attack. Great CG's are tough to design, thats why you only two great CG's RB and KGP. Both offer a wide range of both attacks and defenses that are lacking in CG's nowadays.

Lastly, the rees CG requires me to go and either piece together a printed out version of the map or go to kinkos or some printer to get the map printed out. This something I am not willing to do, on the other hand I am sure since DftB is buddy buddy with MMP, perhaps MMP could put an official version of the rees CG in one of their Journals. That I would than buy.

Scott
I'm bringing it to ASLOK so you can check it out there (if you go). RGs are mix of elite/1st line for Brits and elite/2nd line/conscripts for Germans. I think the Sniper rule is innovative, playable, and makes a big impact on the game.

Lots of options for fortifications.

If spending $8 is a deal breaker then this CG is probably not for you.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I playtested a couple of the scenarios and loved the setting. There are special rules to give the CG flavor and setup can take a while as most of the scenarios and the CG use FB rubble/debris in the pre-setup. The FB rubble/debris helps with replayability quite a bit. I think Tom did a great job with this small CG and I can't wait to give the final version a shot after I finish Bloody Buron. There is a VASL mod for the new counters and the map is obviously available too.