ASL Red Barricades CG III

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day 10 turns 1 to 2
Hi all-

So I cruised over to Bobby's house today to both set up my Night Attack and play a few turns. After the first tw turns I wanted to just turn around and go home lol. Is it that bad? Well........On my turn my 9-2 directed three HMG's roll boxcars then I roll yatzee on all three for which ones melf.....all of them. I than rolled boxcars on my 50 cal's led by my 10-2......yatzee for both 50 cals. I was not and am still not a happy camper. Other than that, I'm doing just dandy trying to understand these crazy night rules.

So far the only casualties I have taken have been from his 10-2 led HMG's perched on FF12, my CC's have been very good to me and I even knocked out a German 81mm MTR with a CH! So other than my HW melfing on me, I am in I would have to say good shape.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
day 12 perimeter.jpg Day 11 and Day 12:

Hi all-

Bob and I finally did finish up our day 10 night attack with the Russians pushing the Germans back a few hexes and even gaining a toe hold back in the commissars house and taking building GG21. Bob's death stackes became really brutal at times if the Starshells ended up in the right place with a few of my reserve gyus gattting wacked hard by his MG firebase on the western flank. But the best tactic Bob pulled on me was landing his Rocket OBA on my 10-2 led MG group on my east flank. He really did not kill anything just broke everybody but what that did allow him to do was bring out his kill stacks from HIP to rage against my eastern attack. Plus he did find my observers with his Rockets and broke them too. It kinda sucked because all I was doing with my OBA was either using it as a threat to keep his kill stacks off the upper levels or using the OBA as IR. Interestingly enough, using OBA IR does not constitute usage since no FFE is placed. Each SR is used to place the IR. So in the end I saved my 120's and 70mm OBA modules. Perhaps as satisfactory revenge, I did blow up Bob's last Pz IV with a well placed DC, the Starshell placement had blinded his panzer and guarding infantry from see'ing my DC toting 7-0 charging up to his tank.

Total casualties were light with the Russians suffering 12 CVP and the Germans around 25 in Infantry, the Booby's caused I think a leader to die and two squads to become reduced. Booby Traps I think really level the playing field vs the German deathstars out there. So while the Germans might killing Russian squads with their RoF weapons, the Booby traps kind of get a little payback for the Russians who have to suffer through those crazy RoF weapons the Germans have. Sure the German player will complain about booby traps, but as the Russian player, just kindly remind the German player that he has lots of high RoF weapons that make the Russians miserable too.

So the purchases for my day 10 guys with 18CP's to spend were:
Rifle co. reserves 5 remaining
SMG Co reserves 8 remaining
70mm OBA (saved from previous day)
120mm OBA Scarce ammo 6 remaining
Forts x3
Sniper
I saved 4pts for the next day.

Day 11:
This was an idle day as the Germans needed to recover their ELR. For CP's the Russians received 16 from STAVKA HQ thus giving me a grand total of 20CP's. I knew the Germans were going to take an Idle day so I took a chance and purchased the following:
Grds SMG co.
Depleted Rifle co
HW plt
San increase
and 4 FPP
20 CP's total spent.

So for the 11th I raised my booby's back up to 11 and 12 (went down in the previous refit phase) and increased my SAN to a 5. I'll post my day 12 purchases after the battle and of course Bob is attacking on day 12. No surprise there but he did raise his ELR back up to a 3 and I got lucky and raised my ELR up to a 4'. Good times ahead lol.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day 12 set up:

Well after much angst and nashing of teeth, I finally got my RB set up done and just in time since Bob will be rolling by tonight to do his set up. The pics you are looking at are what Bob will see when he rolls by. I'll post pics of my detailed set up probably next week. During the course of my initial set up decisions, I did toy with the idea of a massive human wave across the map, but after looking at how many HMG's Bob had, I nixed that idea. Anyway, take more pics of Bob's set up tonight and than post the full picture of how this battle will look.

Scottrb day 12 set up 001.jpg rb day 12 set up 002.jpg

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day 12 set up:

Well after much angst and nashing of teeth, I finally got my RB set up done and just in time since Bob will be rolling by tonight to do his set up. The pics you are looking at are what Bob will see when he rolls by. I'll post pics of my detailed set up probably next week. During the course of my initial set up decisions, I did toy with the idea of a massive human wave across the map, but after looking at how many HMG's Bob had, I nixed that idea. Anyway, take more pics of Bob's set up tonight and than post the full picture of how this battle will look.

Scott
Well, it would be an awesome sight, but I'm not too sure about the feasibility of it!:eek::cool:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Here is a pic of what I was thinking as far as doing a human wave. It would have been interesting to say the least but in the end I got cold feet and decided against it. Still, it goes to show just how versatile Red Barricades is compared to other CG's in what you can do. I might still change my mind and try it, never say never I guess lol.

rb day 12 human wave.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German purchases as of and including Oct 27th which was an Idle day. Number in parenthesis is total of that RG for the CG
S1 4 (9) Stuka
A1 1 (3) Baby StugB
A2 1 (2) Stug G Long gun
A4 2 (3) Pz III H
A6 1 (3) PzIVF1
I1 8 (14) Rifle Coy now I get the +2 leader drm adjustment. Poo
I2 5 (9) Sturm 548s
I3 1 (7) 838 Engineers
I4 1 (5) HW Section
O1 1 (12) 80mm OBA
O2 3 (7) 100mm OBA
O3 0 (5)
)4 2 (4) Rockets

I made my purchases for the long haul This is a full 30 date endevour and we are now beginning date 12. I wanted to stay away from the cheap OBA until I need to use them for cheap SMOKE to neutralize Russian kill stacks. So far I purchased just one of twelve. Overall I still have a lot of infantry to buy and throw at the Russian over the next 18 dates.

My lack of controlled high ground for my kill stacks I find most frustrating. Scotties Ruskies control most of the high ground that he didn't burn. Still I have a few ideas.

Last edited:

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German troop levels:
838 Eng x 6 squads
548 Sturm x 41 ( I purchased two companies in reserve the last idle date, one was depleted the other got a 10-3
468 x 4
467 x 26
447 x 2.5
127 x 4
228 x 0 (the 2 from the one 81mm HW mortars died)
ATR x 7, LtMtr 50mm x 7, LMG x 14, MMG x 12, HMG x 8, DC x 10, FT x 2
StugB x 3, 81mm Mtr x 1

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cannot get any traction attacking into the dang central factories. I make one tactical error after another and manage to get my guys whacked by Holt's troops with little counter punch by my own. I have my own troops get in the way, encounter an interior wall in completely the wrong spot (even though I can see it on the map) Forget to fire the FTs. Ugggh. Two full turns in and we each have over 10 dead squad equivalents. BUT I see some hope at the end of the tunnel.

I just have to keep myself from doubling down on stupid when an initial event does not go my way.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our last game, lots of German 2nd line guys died during our night scenario, so hence the lack of lower quality troops for this CG date for the Germans.

Scott

What I find surprising is the high average quality of your infantry. It looks like you don't suffer ELR-wise - or do any 2nd line or Conscripts that surface immediately die?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day 12 turns 1 and 2

Well, both Bob and I did predict it was going to be a very bloody day for bothsides as the day progressed. So far casualties during the first two turns are for the Russians around 12 dead squads, two leaders and two crews. Casualties for the Germans is around 11 squads dead, 4 leaders and one Pz IIIH. Tough too really skirt around the issue of taking casualties when you have to really dig the Russians out of those factories or are trying to pull flanking raindeer games. Still, Bob has actually done a great job in both knocking my guys off their purches with heavy casualties and retaking key terrain on my east flank. I did get lucky initially with my pillbox group near the bottom big factory and raked his level one guys with good FP attacks, but after that I have had no more targets.

The west flank is an interesting battle as Bob tried once more to take building C33, he did the right things by recon by fire, and than sent a couple of squads to run and take it, but I had on the first level two 458's with HMG's HIP'ed that took those two squads out. Than Bob turned around, snaked a LOS to those formerly HIP'ed dudes and ripped them a new ass hole. Only a HS remained along with a wounded 9-2 (he rolled boxcars on his MC). So thinking the way is clear, Bob once more sent a squad and leader running towards building C33, he gets into the building with the only possible resistance coming from two squads in a trench adjacent to C33. But I instead elect to fire at his 548 in a building to my west flank and break that guy. But wait, he thinks he has that building right? well on my Turn two I send my 9-2 with two 628's through a tunnal into building C33 and end up killing his guys in CC. Still. this early in the game and he has found most of my HIP and special tricks already.

In the middle, a lot less maneuver and more of an attritional battle for whats left of the factory's. Basically it has been a very back and forth battle with both of us forgetting to do something important at some point of our respective turns. With so much going on all over the map, there are times you will forget to do stuff. Still, his FT have been hell on my lads but my little 6+1 with a DC did manage to whack a few of his guys. (they were broken, so my 6+1 ran over and chucked a DC on them.) Still, Bob is pushing my guys back slowly but surely.

On my eastern flank, things are very fluid, here I have both my observers with 70mm and 120 OBA. So far I got really hit hard by Bob's kill stacks initially, but than I was able to smoke them in. All my Mortars ran out of smoke on the 1st turn, but fortunately my OBA was able to smoke in his kill stacks. I did manage to rubble one hex of building GG21 but trying to rubble my set DC in hex GG22 failed miserably when I rolled a 12 on the set DC IFT roll. Plus Bob's than sent a 548 towards building GG21, dances through my minefields and retakes whats left of the building. Very lucky indeed. Still, I did take out a PzIIIH in CC, he lost a 9-2 to a sniper, so one kill stack crumbled but will be back later on, less one 9-2 to help direct their attacks thankfully.

So far, good fun indeed, but at the same time its frustrating as I cant get any traction to throwing back his guys on my east flank. Not being able to rubble building G22 fully is also a real let down too. Well, much more to do, so it aint over yet.

ScottRB DAY 12 turns 1 2 010.jpg RB DAY 12 turns 1 2 009.jpg RB DAY 12 turns 1 2 008.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I find surprising is the high average quality of your infantry. It looks like you don't suffer ELR-wise - or do any 2nd line or Conscripts that surface immediately die?
Yes you are correct on that. During the night attack some of my squads had to 'take one for the team" The vast majority of those were the 447 and half squads that had ELR'ed previously.

We watch our ELRs pretty tightly (except when the 9-2 was killed by a sniper in one of my my kill stacks. I was so pissed I just rolled once for the four half squads and announced that they are all broken. I should roll that out now that I cooled off a bit)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is correct, we do keep a very tight reign on how our ELR fluctuates in this CG. As a side note, if you are the Russians in this CG always keep in mind that if you can survive the first 15 days of RB than the chances of surviving the next 15 days will be much easier. The reason being that by the 29th of October, the Germans will be at + mods on their Historical table and thus give the Russians some reprieve, this is also the time for the Russians use up their saved attack chits and try to push back the Germans bit by bit if possible. I only used one attack chit thus far and that was because an opportunity for a night Assault became possible. So come those +1 days for the Germans, they can expect to be attacked and I can do at least three straight attacks at this point.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Bob came by this evening but we only did the German turn 3 due to my tooth extraction from the day before was bothering me. And of course this was another bloody turn for bothsides. Here is a pic of Bob looking over the battlefield and Alice playing the cat in some euro game in the back round.

Scottalice bob.jpg

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob needs to get his a$$ to ASLOK again. I had a really great game with him many years ago.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With Bob coaching Football in the late summer and fall along with other real life stuff, it might be tough for him to make it to ASLOK. But who knows, never say never I guess lol.

Bob needs to get his a$$ to ASLOK again. I had a really great game with him many years ago.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a jacket on the oak game saver I made for Scott behind Bob. Careful guys looks like that stack of stuff in the corner might come tumbling down.

Last edited: