ASL Red Barricades CG III

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wait til Holst launches his heroic counterattack. Then we shall see an ARR !

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't think we have ever played an RB CG, so I'm not sure where your getting your info. Of course I would be more then happy to play RB with ya but I fear I might crush you like a bug. lol

Just wait til Holst launches his heroic counterattack. Then we shall see an ARR !

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad you are enjoying the AAR Matt, Bobby Miller and I are having a blast playing this great CG plus you know when you are either pouting or crying like a little school girl, then you know your having fun..........more or less in most cases lol

Thanks for posting this AAR. It's always fun to read about RB games.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was doing some serious pouting and whining turn 2. Especially after snipers killed a 8-1 and 9-1 in the same turn. Turn 3 and first half of T4 things turned around for my Jerries. Scott to his credit didn't really pout that much. I was sensing a fierce slow burn in his noggin however.

Thoughts: I need to up my sniper. Having a 2 is letting Scott take every shot in the book to get me rolling dice in return and activating his sniper. I think I am at + 14 stone locations this battle date. Stays like that and my Germans will "lose" and that will take the CPP bonus way from the Russians for the next Refit. Combined both sides went 0-4 on Smoke attempts on our brand spanking new HW RGs 81mm mortars that we both recently purchased. Luckily my one remaining tank went 2-2 on his attempts The last one was a "9" so that was his last for this battle. I have lost 11 leaders in these last two dates. I did have 3 wounded leaders stick around from the previous battle. I made sure they died with their boots on and an axe in their hand like a Viking warrior this battle date. Scott's 10-2 from the very first battle is living a charmed life and is still causing a ruckus. His fortified stone hex was hit by two separate 81mm mortar CHs. First one killed a crew and a HMG and the second just killed the crew from his .50cal.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB day 6 end.jpg Day 6 ends and a Refit Festivus:

Hi all

Another CG day comes to an end with our game ending on turn 5 (yes I rolled a 1!) To add insult to injury, the Russians actually won this CG date, which Bob was none to heartbroken about since it took away the CG balance drms from the Russians but on the other hand this little trick Bob thinks he pulled on the Russians will unfortunately back fire in the refit phase...........

Purchases for day 6 are as follows for the Russians:
Full Rifle company
Full Rifle Company
San
Rocket OBA
80mm OBA
MOL-P
FPP 1 (Mainly used for HIP and dummies)

Russian loses amounted to 40CVP in infantry and including I think the loss of two leaders. German CVP loses came out to 33 CVP (19 CVP infantry and 14 CVP in SMC's). So Bob did not lose a lot of squads but took a serious hit on SMC's on day 6. It still gets me laughing that when we started out on this CG day, Bob was saying how he was swimming in leaders, well I fixed that problem with a combo of booby-traps, Snipers and good old firepower. Still, Bob did take out a lot of Russian infantry as well as conscripted quite a few of my squads. BUT the refit phase was very good to the Russians.................

As for the last few turn we played, at the start of Russian turn 4, I rolled a wind change 2, this ended up shifting the already layed in smoke on the commissars house to the northwest and with smoke now blocking the German infantry's LOS or severely hindering german LOS, I decided to shift my attack away from the X17 area and instead try to retake portions of the commissars house.

In the middle of the map, the battle around the J21 multi-hex building was starting to go Bob's way, so knowing this building was going to fall, I set it on fire and just preyed to the RNG gods that it would not go out. The flame ended up blazing on turn 5 and thus I was able to deny the Germans a 2nd level MG perch. I can not emphasize just how important it is for the Russians to burn these upper level buildings down, if they don't, they will be getting dinged by German heavy weapons on a near consistent basis. Although at one time, I used to never burn stuff down in RB, either I thought it was gamey or I was too lazy to go through the motions and all that ended up happening in those situations was the Russians surrendering due to not being able to maneuver around the map and getting gunned down trying to hold back the German hordes. This tactic I think gives the Russians a chance to fend off the Germans without worry of upper level deathstars staring you down.

By the end of Turn 5 the Russians had lost building J22 and could not hold on too building GG21, the Russians ended up getting routed out of GG21 by the Germans. On the other hand, my Russians were able to take BB19, BB18 and CC19 of the commissars house, though I did know that I probably will end up getting booted out on turn 6 but I had to take this crazy gamble and lo and behold the game end on turn 5. Thus denying the Germans a chance to crush my weak toehold back in the Commissars house.

So with day in the can, the lines have shifted slightly with Germans gaining in the middle and the Russians once more creating a bulge on the German east flank. So now lets talk refit phase, here will be a very sore point for Bob because his ELR went down to a 2 and mine stayed at 2. How did this happen? Well I rolled boxcars on the ELR table, I had just enough negatives (due to winning the CG date) to stay at ELR 2, on the other hand, Bob lost the CG date and had no negatives to roll back the 12DR and thus the 6th Army went down in ELR. The battle hardening roll was also very kind to the Russians as I rolled a 3 and thus was able to BH 5 guys with one more due to a hero surviving the battle so now I can BH 6 conscripts back to 447 quality. A very good refit indeed for the Hero's of Stalingrad.

So what does day 7 look like for bothsides? I'm not going to deny it, I am going to get rockets again to plant on the heads of the attacking Germans, This has really helped in keeping the Germans slowed down and spread out in their attacks, granted I have only three more RG's left of Rockets but if I can keep the Germans slowed up for a couple of more CG dates, then life is good. But I also get the feeling that Bob might take an idle day to recover his ELR and thus it gives me thoughts on mulling over a possible night attack. Below is a map of the perimeters drawn out.

Scott

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Germans took an idle date 7 (the 23rd).

I purchased an elite and regular company (both in reserve) to see if that could bump my ELR up. Checking ELR modifiers (we share the same dice roll) Scotty also purchased an elite and regular so we had the same modifier. My girlfriend rolled a seven (audit purposes) and we both increased to a three.

Date 8 (the 24th) will soon commence. I will have the full west edge to enter/attack so hopefully that spreading the Russian will need to do will allow me to press an attack in one sector with a very good kill ratio, Overcast again so my Stuka pilots will not been seen.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB Day 8 German Attack

Hi all-

I should preface the fact that the Germans did take an idle day on Day 7 to recover their ELR which in itself was a good idea. So the Russians received 17CPP's which afforded the Russians a chance to purchase their engineer RG in reserves at 11 points. As for ELR, the roll was low enough to raise back both Russian and German ELR's. So for the start of CG day 8 the Russians will have a 3 ELR and the Germans will have a 3 ELR also. Not optimum ELR for the Germans but much better then attacking with a 2 ELR I would think. As for the decision to purchase Russian engineers, it was a very tough call just because they will never be used, they are just too fragile due to low ELR to be thrown into the cauldron of battle, so they will be hiding in the rear with the gear. With that said, at least now I can have DC's and FT's at my disposal as well as purchase Russian guards SMG companies with DC's and get the recycling benefits. The Russian Day 7 purchases are:

Engineer company
Fortsx1 Will be used to purchase wire and trenchs)
SMG company
70mm OBA
80mm OBA

Thankfully nothing depleted, but as I said, buying the engineers essentially knocks me down 1 infantry company to put in the front lines and might give the Germans an edge on infantry numbers. Still, if I'm going to wrestle what is left of the commissars house from the Germans, I need those DC's and FT's to make my job a little easier.

Day set up thoughts:
So with Bob taking an Idle day on day 7, I know I'm going to get slammed with a ton of infantry hitting me hard. From which direction, probably from the west since the whole map edge opens up for the Germans and thus I will now have to siphon off front line guys to man the defenses around the Bread Factory area. So day 8 will have to be a very flexible defense for the Russians IE, no stand and die tactics for this day. So for my defense, I will be giving up the buildings, rubble and Factory around the H22 to h27 area. I did think about setting DC's in the buildings adjacent to H22 but I will need those DC's to noodle out the last German holdouts in the Commissars house and probably to Bob's surprise, no set DC's in his path of attack. I will also continue to press the attack on his east flank but I will have to wary of possible HIP's near by, will have some 80's on call to lay in some smoke to cover my advance.

The best plans of mice and men:
Well, Turn one starts and the windforce dr is a 6. Heavy winds, so no smoke, my FT's can only fire into adjacent hexes and I get screwed. Oh and the screwing is not even done, I draw two red cards in a row on my 80's, so not only does the capability of smoke get taken from me, but also the chance to at least hit his guys in building GG22 with a OBA. So now my plans have totally change to making a good advance on his east flank too just being happy to wrestle the commissars house from his sorry ass. By Russian turn two, all that's left is a HS in the commissars house, I did manage to get a crit with a rooftop 80mm MTR on a stack of his guys moving up in the middle of the map. And as I guessed Bob's main attack is a wedge attack into my west flank. So thus my Bread factory defense will be throwing rocks at each other for the rest of the game.

Still a great game and as usual we are having a blast.

ScottRB day 8 rus turn 2 004.jpg RB day 8 rus turn 2 003.jpg RB day 8 rus turn 2 002.jpg RB day 8 rus turn 2 001.jpg

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day 8 turns 2 to 3: A tale of Woe

Bob rolled on by last night and we managed to get a couple of turns in for our RB CG. Bob also brought along some super hot dice for turns two and three......sadly for me. So with the commencement of Russian turn two, I try to dislodge the Germans in building GG21 with a few shots from my 81mm and 50mm MTR's but it of no avail an very ineffective. The loss of my OBA (drew two red cards in a row) and heavy winds preventing me from putting smoke on building GG21 to protect my small counter attack around the commissars house might actually break the back of the Russian defense as well as the CG. This was basically horrible luck for the Russians to lose both their OBA near the commissars house and not have the ability to place smoke due to heavy winds. The heavy winds and no smoke I can possibly deal with but at least leave me OBA to harass the Germans in building GG21. And yes, I am not counter attacking at this point, just trying to survive the multiple FG's the Germans have that are seriously causing my undo casualties. As for consolation prize, I did secure the commissars house but at a cost, I went into melee with both my 628 engineer and commissar (concealed) into the last hold out (a 238 HS) on the second level of the commissars house, failed to ambush the bastard as well as failed to kill of the HS with 3 to 1 odds. Bob would come back, declare HtoH rolls a 5 the exact number at 1 to 4 odds and through random selection, reduce my engineer to a HS, of course this time around I was able to knock off his HS but not before the damage is done.

On turn three I decided to probe around the T19 factory to see how strong the defenses are and in Bob's defensive fire phase reveals an observer and plants a 150mm rocket OBA on my noggin. The OBA ends up killing a couple of my squads as well as reducing a few to conscripts. It should also be noted that during Bob's turn 3, he did fire his Panzer IV at my 81mm MTR on the rooftop of P34, he fire area and rolls a snake eyes, it is still an improbable hit since his mods are high, so he needs a 1 for a crit and 2 or 3 for a normal hit, Bob rolls a 1 and kills both MTR and crew. This is seriously turning out to be a very very bad for the Russians. I did kill a few German squads in melee's and one boobytrap was activated reducing a 548 to a HS, but the German losses are minimal at best. Tried to also recover the HMG's in hexCC23 but his boys in building GG21 would have no such nonsense and reduced two 1st liners to Conscript HS and killed a Russian 9-2 leader.

So with my defense now spread out from the Bread factory to the Gun factories, The Germans continue their main attack into my west flank. Thankfully it is Turn 4 rolling around and hopefully the scenario ends on turn 5, with all the bad luck the Russians have endured I do hope it does end, if not, it will be a very long day for the Russian defenders.

ScottRB dy 8 ger 4 001.jpg RB dy 8 ger 4 002.jpg RB dy 8 ger 4 003.jpg

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB day 8 end II.jpg Day 8 Turns 4 to 6 and End of CG day

Well what can I say? It was a brutal CG day for the Russians as the butchers bill tally came to 60+CVP's for the Russians and 30+ CVP for the Germans. With a SAN of 6, all I managed to do was kill off a crew and with booby's at 11 and 12 all I did was reduce one squad. At times I just wanted to throw my hands up and call it quits but deep down inside, I know it cant get worse and hopefully this bad day will be few and far between (hey I used a pete shelling scenario title lol) as the CG continues. After all, there is the next day and perhaps it wont be that bad.

So lets see what bad things happened to the Russians:
80 OBA draw two red cards check
Russian FT rolls 11 Check
82mm MTR gets hit with crit check
9-2 leader dies check
HMG destroyed check
Lose Pillbox check
70 OBA Phone melfs on a 12 check
Heavy winds, no smoke check

Positive things that happened for the Russians:
Heavy Rain check
33 CVP's for Germans including two 838 engineer squads check
Held on to Factory L27 check
Captured Commissars house check
Close Combats were successful check

So it was not a super blowout for the Germans, but it was damn close to it. Even though the Germans smashed everything in their path, my Russians still put lowly conscripts forward to cockblock the German advance and buy time for the main Russian defenders to rally back and reform a new defense. Towards the end game, the Germans tried to retake the commissars house but a few lucky residuals sent the Germans scurrying back. My pillbox fell to two engineer squads, so in desperation I sent one of my two FT toting FT leaders (this after the Conscript Berserk HS survived 36 even shots and entered the engineers hex) who also survived some nice high fire power shots. So the stage was set for some interesting heroics. So in advancing fire phase I stick the FT nozzle into the Pillbox..............and roll an 11 losing my FT forever and ever. And of course the engineers pass the 1MC. So now the biggest heroics was preformed by a berserk Conscript HS, a CX'ed 447 squad, two leaders and a commissar as they as they piled into the pillbox/ trench hex, Actually the Engineers were not in the pillbox but in the Trench underneath the pillbox. So thus I was able to declare H to H at one to two odds, of course Bob's engineers kill my guys but I come back with a three and kill his engineers on turn 6.

So on turn the CG day ends and the whining from the Russian side of the table subsides to a slight whimper. So looking at the Map, the Germans drove hard into the Russian west flank, reclaimed some lost terrain on the east flank minus the commissars house and caused a crap ton of casualties to the Russians. another typical day at Stalingrad I guess.

Scott

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't think we have ever played an RB CG, so I'm not sure where your getting your info. Of course I would be more then happy to play RB with ya but I fear I might crush you like a bug. lol
We have played twice. Don't worry Scott ya got free artillery for next day. All you need in one good day to stabilize your lines!

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We will have to audit my engineers. I had one die the previous battle (1/2 squad to a sniper and a 1/2 squad to the Russian Rockets) The CC in the Trench that Scottie refers to had one 548 and one 838 Both died. The company was full so I started with eight and should only have 6 left then. One of the 548s in a Sturm company may have turned into a 838 via counter bin drift. Bit of a problem with the numbers on the counters keep on getting smaller and smaller making them hard to read nowadays.

One one great balancing factors in this CG is the wide open western board edge entry area for the Germans after a certain date. If the Russians defend everything then the Germans can very efficiently reduce a section of the battlefield at a favorable kill ratio.

Due to efficient depletion rolls and buying on dates with a (-) mod no German Rifle Coys have depleted. With only minimal lost MMGs and HMGs from combat I am starting to acquire a critical mass of powerful MGs to whack the Russians with. The Melvin Faulk rules do address this issue but I think swings the pendulum too much the other way.

A rule to address this would be during the Refit phase for every 6 MMG or 4 HMG (frd) the German player (or both sides perhaps) need to spend 1 CP to fully resupply the MGs with ammo. Otherwise that side chucks one of the weapons from that group of 6 or 4.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An interesting idea Bob. Still, there might be a day where you get hit with heavy artillery or melf a bunch of weapons during the cg day, so having a lot of SW is a good thing because there might come a time where you may have taken more losses in SW then you thought you would.

Yes, with the western edge now opened to the German 6th Army, this forces the Russians to really spread out and artillery becomes more important than ever during the CG.

Great stuff indeed.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
day 9 set up 1.jpg day 9 set up 2.jpg Day 9 set up

Hi all-

My erstwhile and wily opponent Bobby "von Paulas" Miller is cruising by today to get his boys set up for another bloody day of Stalingrad action. As I look at the map, I am slowly getting squeezed into a ever shrinking perimeter. Luck has not been on the side of the Russians in this CG and I get the feeling Bob is playing the ELR game to drive the Russian ELR down as the CG progresses, but who knows, I could be getting paranoid too lol.

As can be see from the pics, I tried to keep as much out of the German LOS with a heavy emphasis on HIP on my east flank. I do have a set DC in the commi house and am thinking perhaps touching it off. This will be dependent if the Germans launch a major attack on my east flank, but I am expecting the main German attack to be along the Bread Factory frontage. My 50mm MTR's up on the factory rooftops should be able to give the Germans a bit of grief. Have 70mm located in the bread factory area, my SAN remains a 5 and my booby-traps remain at the 11 and 12 range.

If Bob does try to dislodge my lads from the Bread Factory area, than that will possibly allow me to counter attack on the East flank and maybe regain building GG21, ya a limited objective but with limited resources, a limited attack is probably best for the Russians.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bobby and I played out two whole turns after he was done setting up his lads and his main axis of attack continued into the heart of Stalingrad. He did try to launch a minor attack on my east flank, which I did beat back and has accounted for the majority of his losses. While on the other hand, my losses are mounting from his attack into the heart of the industrial complexes of Stalingrad.

On turn one, right off the bat, Bob rolls snake eyes from his MG's from across the map and kills a lowly 50mm MTR squad. During movement the Germans begin to probe the Russian defense finding some dummies and some real guys, I try to blast his troops back but to no avail and now find my poor Russians falling back in the middle of the map.

In the east, things are not so bad for the Russians, as the Russian OBA effectively smokes in building GG22, and another 82mm MTR smokes in one of his kill stacks. I also set off the DC in the commissars house bringing down the last level two location and eliminating a squad. I do melf one 82mm MTR and end up x'ing it out. So that's two MTR lost thus far to bad luck. The CC's have also gone the Russians way and do account for many of the German casualties.

around the Bread Factory all remains quite, Bob has left off reinforcements which keeps me from shifting my Bread factory guys into the main battle. I did plan to launch a small attack out of the Bread factory area, but I drew two red cards with my 70mm OBA, so now I cant do a spoiling attack on Bob's west flank.

When we hook up again, it will be German turn 3.

Scottday 9 turns 1 2 001.jpg day 9 turns 1 2 002.jpg

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day 9 turns 3 to 6

Hi all

The back and forth nature of this CG drives me nuts sometimes. Sometimes I am able to throw back the German attack than on the other hand the Germans come back and stomp on my balls in their next attack. Case in point, in the middle, Bob came on strong and swept aside my poor conscripts, but then I did reform my battle lines and caused some nice casualties to the Germans, yet the Germans than regrouped and once more stomped on my guys, absolutely a brutal battle for the remaining factories. The Rubbled remains of the commissars house is now firmly in German hands as the last of my Russian defenders have been wiped out in the ruins of the commissars house.

Today was also lets all go berserk day as both the Germans and Russians had at least 2 or 3 squads go berserk and run to their deaths. And there is still one more group of berserk Russians in a cellar waiting to run to their deaths on turn 6. The Russian Phone rolled boxcars on another contact attempt, so no more smoke to cover the deathstar in GG21 building but my 10-2 with two 50 cals is ready to duel it out with the Germans in building GG21, so who will blink first?

My HW weapons platoons have took a serious hit with the loss of three of their four mortars to breakdowns and CH's. I have three more RG's left of HW platoons left to help bolster my defense in Stalingrad but with the losses I have been incurring this day, I'll probably have to pass on purchasing a HW platoon for day 10.

So far casualties are heavy with the Russian clocking in with close to 60CVP and the Germans at just over 40CVP's. The saving grace for the Germans in regards to the Russians launching a decent counter attack to take advantage of the Germans losses and thus a weakened front line is that I have to leave troops in the bread factory area to guard against the possibility of a southern flank attack. Bob has done the smart thing and keeps reinforcements off map to use as a threat against the bread factory area.

So lots of whining on bothsides but all in all a very good time overall.

Scottday 8 turns 3 to 6 001.jpg day 8 turns 3 to 6 002.jpg day 8 turns 3 to 6 003.jpg

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the German side

I purchased no infantry this date. Huge gamble on the ELR roll coming up. I was sick of my SAN being low so that is now a 4. Two Forts were obtained to build up some fortified stone firing platforms. Sunny day so early Stuka were ordered. Goering sent only 1 on T3. Fat piece of sheist. Purchased a 100mm OBA with a PreReg hex only to get one mission from that before two red cards. That did screw up Holst's 2 .50cal HMG kill stack at a critical juncture. Still 5 points for that seems expensive. Lastly 75L Stugs were purchased for mobile Smoke. Two of the three MAs malfed already. Refit give a -2 to repair so they were driven out of harms way to be hopefully fixed during Refit. That's 16 points right there.

Russian set up first has to defend the south. Sure I waste some troops holding them off board but more of Scotts troops are wasted sitting in a sector I am not attacking in. Thus I concentrated my troops in the central factory area and am trying to bludgeon his troops set up in that section. FTs, DCs, and MMGs all doing there thing in large numbers although I have no idea where all my DCs went. I'm close to the desired kill ratio but some CCs that went badly are making all that territory gained expensive. The Ruskie perimeter is shrinking.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Another CG is now in the rare view mirror as we advance to Day 10 of our RB CG. The losses for the Russians were pretty bad at 82 CVP's. The Russians lost a total of 4 leaders and two 81mm MTR (boxcars then x ing out). The Germans losses clocked in at 52 CVP including 9 dead or recalled wounded leaders total. There really was practically nothing on the map lol. The game ended on turn 6 with I think a sigh of relief for both sides although the Germans really did have the Russians on the Ropes towards the end. The amount of boxcars rolled by the Russians really sickens me at times for this CG date. The loss of two MTR's and a radio where I only used one fire mission really torks me off something fierce. On the other hand, the Germans did roll boxcars for two Stugs MA's and did lose an HMG but I personally think there really is no comparison to the loss of two very valuable MTRs.

The refit phase was not nice to Bob as his Stug's got recalled on 6dr. The Germans ELR also took a hit and went down to 2 where as my ELR remained at three. So in an attempt to get his ELR back up, Bob decided on an Idle day and I decided to attack! So a Night Attack will be happening, I don't have a lot to attack with, but I need to push the Germans back and this is my opportunity to do so.

My purchases for Day 9:
Guards SMG co. full
SMG co. Full
HW Plt Full
70mm
80mm (saved from last date)
3 FPP RG's.

Awesome stuff indeed.
DAY 9 end.jpg

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

So ten days into this CG, what do bothsides have remaining RG wise?

Russian:
1st line Rifle company's left: 6 RG's (14) remaining
SMG Company's: : 7 RG's (12) remaning
Guards SMG : 7 RG's (8) Remaining
HW Plt : 4 RG's (6) remaining
Engineer Co. :3 RG's (4) remaining
70mm OBA : 5 RG's (8) remaining
80mm OBA : 6 RG's (10) Remaining
120mm OBA : 6 RG's (7) Remaining
Rockets : 3RG's (6) remaining
Mol-p :5 RG's (6) Remaining
MOL 27 RG's (30) remaining
Forts 68 RG's (90) remaining
SAN 26 RG's (30) remaining

The numbers in brackets are the original allotments. So probably by day 20 most of the cheaper infantry will probably be used up as well as the 70 and 80 OBA. So the good news is that as we get closer to late October and early November, the Germans will be limited in what they can purchase, so this might give the Russians a chance to regain lost ground. Well maybe............

Scott