ASL Realistic simulation?

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
For example, go back and read about Close Combat and Ambush. Or look into Defensive First Fire principles. That way you can remember what happened during our game and apply it to what you are reading

Just a general comment:

If I was playing a scenario that required me to learn all of this stuff straight out of the box, I'd be hesitant to continue. That in itself is the largest issue facing new people to ASL. There needs to be a system that allows you to pick the rules up slowly so you can learn it.

Facts are that a Newbie shouldn't be overwhelmed with 400 rules just to enjoy the game his/her first time out, or even their 30th time out.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
<tongue-in-cheek-mode>Yes! What an excellent idea. Maybe MMP should make some kind of ASL Basic or maybe a Starter Kit that introduces players to the rules in smaller stages.</tongue-in-cheek-mode> :D

As an ASLSK -> ASL "upgrader" I can attest to the fact that the Starter Kit hits the sweet spot of rule coverage without rule overload. It is the next best thing to playing FtF with an ASL veteran. By covering the 90% cases, the ASLSK gives you a general framework from which you can approach the ASLRB for all the exceptions.

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Gee, even though your comments were tongue in cheek, I can't help but think that simple scenarios are a possibility that should be designed for newbies, and then they wouldn't have had to create a starter kit at all - thus saving time and effort on their part (i.e. getting out/working on all the modules/2nd editions that you all have been clambering/grumbling for), and saving the consumer 30 bucks which could go towards the ASLRB and Beyond Valor V2.

ASL claims itself to be THE tactical squad based game, yet it would be easy (one would think based soley on the thousands of scenarios that are curretnly available) to create scenarios that a newbie could d/l from their site - or *gasp* MMP could sell/include with the new ASLRB V2 (or beyond valor V2) to aid a newbie in learning the game easier and faster.

Call them ASL Basics, include a few squads, and walk the new player through the rule book as you go. Simple, effective and less resources spread over a wide area to get the same job done.

But then again, thats just my opinion.

Cheers,

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>ASL claims itself to be THE tactical squad based game, yet it would be easy (one would think based soley on the thousands of scenarios that are curretnly available) to create scenarios that a newbie could d/l from their site - or *gasp* MMP could sell/include with the new ASLRB V2 (or beyond valor V2) to aid a newbie in learning the game easier and faster.

See my article in Journal #4. Look for Hall of Fame Beginning/Teaching scenarios.

>Call them ASL Basics, include a few squads, and walk the new player through the rule book as you go. Simple, effective and less resources spread over a wide area to get the same job done.

See Chapter K which is a training chapter included with the rulebook which has hands-on instruction which walks you thru pushing counters across a board and other basics of ASL.

Both were tried. Neither has been close to successful as the Starter Kit. The SK has been the best thing for bringing new players into ASL in a long long time. Time & effort well spent.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP's on the right track with the SK.

Chapter K came along after you'd already bought the Rules and Paratrooper, at least; many of us even had BV, too. With simple scenarios, you'd need at least the rules and BV. The SK is self-contained and at least partially designed for those who are fence-sitters. THEN you gradually introduce the F-S's (another ASL abbr. :D ) to all the rules, maybe through super simple scenarios. That's a good idea, and I'd recommend you start with those; check out any lists of 'tournament' scenarios you can find - they tend to be smaller and shorter, although some have chapter E rules or SSR to test the players which may not be appropriate for beginners. Anyone have an idea where lots of these are listed on the net?

Hindsight's 20/20: obviously, in 1977, AH should have come out the the SK and everything should still be in print, right?

Alan

Last edited:

griffitz62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just started playing ASL a few months ago. I have never played SL or even seen it or ASL played by anyone. I am currently teaching myself the game (along with a friend) so I think I can certainly be termed a legitimate noob. I have the ASLRB2, BV2, Paratrooper and ASLSK (along with some of the other modules as well). I started with the Chapter K stuff and although it was certainly informative, interesting, entertaining and engaging, I found it never really explained how the game is played. It explains a lot of the game mechanics, but I kept asking myself "ok, so how do I set up a game, what's the sequence of play, etc." The I got the ASLSK and the lights went on. That is an excellent product for someone like me. Direct and to the point with just enough to feel like you're playing the game. What I am doing now is going through the Programmed Instruction article by Jim Stahler that was in the '90 Annual. I downloaded it from MMP's site and this has been a true godsend in learning this incredible game. Read some rules and play a game. Then read some more and try it again. The reason I like this so much is because I am reading the rules from the ASLRB and using the scenarios from BV and Paratrooper. I get to read a little at a time so I'm not overwhelmed, but I also don't feel like I'm playing a "watered down" version of the game. I played the ASLSK twice and then moved on. Hopefully the future SK's will continue an excellent idea and product line.

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Robert Wolkey said:
The best way to learn ASL is to play it against someone who knows how to play.
I'd say that both the experienced player and the newbie can learn ASL that way. Having to look at rules you thought you knew, only to find out that you might have been playing them slightly wrong...

- H