ASL products for November?

gorm

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I've not been a member of this forum for a long time but I'm tired of seeing the same question asked each month, over and over.

If you want to know what's coming out, visit the MMP, HoB or [insert company name here] website. Alternatively as has been said already, send an email to the appropriate representative from each publisher and ask them direcly, because we (the general ASL community) don't have a clue what is coming out when.

Sure I hope for AOO, the reprint of the RB, out of print modules, etc., from MMP, which is the company this thread was targeted against, but in reality there is enough ASL and good 3rd party stuff available to keep me busy for years.

Does this mean that I don't want new ASL products from MMP, hell no, I wish they'd publish something every other month. The reality is though they don't so get over it. If you're so itching to buy ASL stuff then buy some old modules and resell them to the eBay crowd, which seems to have more money than brains, and be thankful MMP is funding your early retirement by keeping things OOP.

Cheers,
Jeff

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Before this thread gets any further, here is a gentle reminder to all that Warfare HQ is a club, and is goverened by rules requiring that respect be shown towards all members.

A. CLUB CONDUCT
A1 DEALING WITH OTHER CLUB MEMBERS: Members must treat all other Warfare HQ with an appropriate level of respect and consideration. Rules disputes and disagreements will arise, but these can always be worked out in a tactful fashion. Blatant disrespect for other members or Warfare HQ staff personnel can be grounds for expulsion from the club if the circumstances warrant it.
A1.1 PROPER LANGUAGE: Due to the large and diverse nature of the membership at Warfare HQ, it is relatively easy for misunderstandings and miscommunications to arise. Members should be aware of that when dealing with other members in the chat room or on the discussion forums. Foul or racist language should be avoided.​

Thank you for your attention.​

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whoa, this is new, so if we say anything negative about MMP and it's fanatic supporters you get censored???

Hey Don, you gotta tell your boy here to at ease.

Scott

The Chaser writes
Chas Argent said:
Before this thread gets any further, here is a gentle reminder to all that Warfare HQ is a club, and is goverened by rules requiring that respect be shown towards all members.

A. CLUB CONDUCT
A1 DEALING WITH OTHER CLUB MEMBERS: Members must treat all other Warfare HQ with an appropriate level of respect and consideration. Rules disputes and disagreements will arise, but these can always be worked out in a tactful fashion. Blatant disrespect for other members or Warfare HQ staff personnel can be grounds for expulsion from the club if the circumstances warrant it.
A1.1 PROPER LANGUAGE: Due to the large and diverse nature of the membership at Warfare HQ, it is relatively easy for misunderstandings and miscommunications to arise. Members should be aware of that when dealing with other members in the chat room or on the discussion forums. Foul or racist language should be avoided.​

Thank you for your attention.​

Mark Warren

Reaction score
Country
ll
Scott,

I think it is the wording of your negativity that is perhaps at issue. And you are probably not the only one this reminder was aimed at.

I think the message is keep it civil (as outlined in the code of conduct that Chas was listing).

Otherwise I think the ASLML likes a good ol' slanging match every now and then. :p

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SGT HOLST said:
Whoa, this is new, so if we say anything negative about MMP and it's fanatic supporters you get censored???
Actually it's not new. And Mark is correct; the reminder was directed at everyone, Scott, not just you. Feel free to talk all the smack you want about MMP.

Mark is also correct as to what it means: be civil to each other, please.

Gracias, amigos! :cool:

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Problem is I hate looking at 3rd party ASL layouts, its just plain ugly and hard to read.
If MMP aint putting anything out this year, at least let the 3rd party guys use the avalon hill standard layout. Yes I know about copy rights and it's bullshit.

MMP: have a little faith in your fellow ASL'ers, abolish the threat of Lawyers and let the 3rd party use the AH standard layout and clip art.

Scott

graydo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SGT HOLST said:
MMP: have a little faith in your fellow ASL'ers, abolish the threat of Lawyers and let the 3rd party use the AH standard layout and clip art.

Scott
This would certainly be desirable but given the sort of society our throngs of lawyers have produced probably is not achievable. Does anyone know just how different the layout of counters has to be? And layout would be enough IMHO, I rather enjoy different clipart.

dave

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The flaw in the premise that MMP should let TPPs copy ASL layout style and counters lies in the fact that BY OUR LICENSE AGREEMENT WITH HASBRO, WE CANNOT SUB-LICENSE. Even if we wanted to, our contract precludes it. We have never had this as an option, and most likely we are never going to have this as an option.

graydo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kdalton said:
The flaw in the premise that MMP should let TPPs copy ASL layout style and counters lies in the fact that BY OUR LICENSE AGREEMENT WITH HASBRO, WE CANNOT SUB-LICENSE. Even if we wanted to, our contract precludes it. We have never had this as an option, and most likely we are never going to have this as an option.
Keith,

How different does the layout of a counter have to be to meet legal strictures?

dave

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me reprhase this:

I know that with the OLD VASL art, aka three figures and the basic blank-blank-blank values was acceptable. I have no idea about new VASL art.

Last edited:

da priest

Reaction score
graydo said:
Keith,

How different does the layout of a counter have to be to meet legal strictures?

dave
Unfortunately that can only be finally determined in a Court.

But, look at HOB's, Sherry's and even the CH counters for examples of some that seem to have passed muster. They must avoid the "look and feel" of the official product.

This is a subject that has been hashed and rehashed at least 50 times.

Based on standard K(contract) stuff, previous discussions on the various fora/Lists, but not an intimate knowledge of the K(contract):

1. There are Hasborg copyright issues.

2. Per the K, MMP(as a Hasborg licensee) cannot sub-license.

3. Per the K, MMP must TRY to enforce the copyright. They do this by correspondence and talking things over with the "offending" party. To show "substantial compliance" with their license, at least one or two legal types must be involved(stock letters with the usual warnings).

4. Per the K, if MMP's lo-profile enforcement fails, they must report their efforts to Hasborg, and the in-house legal types there up the ante to full blown Court proceedings. These will cost Hasborg peanuts(but give the newest guy in their office good training) and the "offender" his life savings, all before the case even gets to the Courthouse steps for the first Status Conference with years to go til trial.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Ron, you should apply to MMP for an officiel mouthpiece position.

So what is killing ASL? The P# number system, the line of other games, incompetent management, greed, ego and I guess the list could go on. I know many people think MMP is doing a perfect job, but those like hitlers henchmen are just diluded lacky's to a dying regime. I see a great game system being destroyed, and it really pisses me off.
MMP has/ had a chance to rectify the situation when they renagotieted the contract with Hasbro earleir this year, but MMP's ego once more got in the way of improving this hobby and truly showed how little they care for ASL. Look at how well D&D is doing since wizards opened up the D&D game with the Open Game License.

Scott

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
SGT HOLST said:
...but those like hitlers henchmen are just diluded lacky's to a dying regime....
Scott - you might be more effective if you left off with the inappropriate personal attacks.. This is supposed to be a friendly club...

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"A fanatic is someone can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Mr. Holst, you have been presented with many explanations for the delays in publication by MMP (proofing, research, print layouts, etc). Da Priest has even given you the official (abbreviated) legal reasons for why MMP cannot allow unfettered use of Hasbro-owned 'trademarks'. Your constant attacks and insults can only detract from any valid points you have to make.

There are, what, 300 or more official AH/MMP scenarios, plus all the campaign games. Gawd only knows how many TPP scenarios are out there. Have you exhausted them all? I would love to get my hand on the killer Bulgarian AT guns or the elite Croatian Guards from AoO, but it won't kill me to wait until its completed.

"Go into the sunshine and be happy with what what you see" - Winston C. again, I'm afraid.

Do you volunteers to playtest or proof read? What are you willing to contribute to the hobby beside the volume of your protests? I think your president Kennedy summed it up best at one of the first 'proto' gaming conventions in the early 60's:

"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do for the hobby." I paraphrase, of course, I'm a bit fuzzy on US post-war history. :D

Last edited:

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Purist said:
I would love to get my hand on the killer Bulgarian AT guns or the elite Croatian Guards from AoO, but it won't kill me to wait until its completed.
It's all about the Dutch, er, Hungarian trucks, old man.

PRchrdsn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, you just see (and in this instance, CREATED) an opportunity to once again go personal and spew more vitriol.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pressure, that is the name of the game, I guess the more I bitch, the more MMP seem's to move with a purpose, slow as it may be, I saw the cover art up on MMP's websight. So guys, lets try to light a fire under MMP's ass and get them out of the fuhrers bunker and in the streets fighting.

Scott