ASL Player Ratings

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You aren't doing it for YOURSELF, you are keeping the data for Each of the TD's. It Helps the Community of TD's have accurate data. NOT submitting their tournaments results within xx days doesn't help the next upcoming tournament (assuming some participants would be playing there as well.)

Why not give a deadline, if that were done, then this manipulation of data wouldn't be necessary.
AND it would behoove the TD's to submit data at end of the tournament...they have all of the data as soon as the Tournament is over...why sit on it for 15yrs?
And the players would want to see their ratings adjusted accordingly. It benefits everyone involved.

Just because most of the ASL community waits 15 yrs for modules to be reprinted, we shouldn't have to wait that long for ratings to be accurate.

You'd think there would be a sponsored tournament site by now.....This could be an automated submission portal to make the process simplified....and honestly, can be done DURING the tournament.
Once again if you think that a sponsored tournament site is a good idea than you do it. What is stopping you? You are a great one for coming up with ideas but your follow through leaves much to be desired.

I have little patience for anyone who criticizes another person's performance who is doing a task that they themselves are unwilling to do.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Once again if you think that a sponsored tournament site is a good idea than you do it. What is stopping you? You are a great one for coming up with ideas but your follow through leaves much to be desired.

I have little patience for anyone who criticizes another person's performance who is doing a task that they themselves are unwilling to do.
See perspirecacity in The ASL Word of the Day. 😉🤔

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Ok, I'll do it...But as the site needs to be supported by TD's I'll need $200 startup from each tournament in fees.

I'll start it when I get all TD's that have players on the ASL Player's List to be maintained..
Thank you for your assistance.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Why do you think Doug should be doing this for FREE with all this time and headache?

Have you given Doug any assistance? or positive suggestions other than "Good Job" which sometimes equates to ..."thank God someone is dealing with this headache"

I've suggested things...he can ignore them or not... I can criticize anything I wish...you'll just ignore it anyway and get 12 Thumbs for your comments.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks to Doug, the rekindling of the AREA following Nitrosso's voluntary abandonment (which is allowed barring an SSR 😉) has been a success. The website layout has been updated, new features have been developed and the bulk of the catch-up regarding the inclusion of past tournaments completed. Most 2020/2021 events have been added thanks to the assistance of TDs and recourse to public data in some cases. What is still missing are large portions of ASLOK data, i'm reasonably confident Bret will deliver the very large amount of playings contained in the ASLOK PISs in the future.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Why do you think Doug should be doing this for FREE with all this time and headache?

Have you given Doug any assistance? or positive suggestions other than "Good Job" which sometimes equates to ..."thank God someone is dealing with this headache"

I've suggested things...he can ignore them or not... I can criticize anything I wish...you'll just ignore it anyway and get 12 Thumbs for your comments.
Just as you are free to criticise others, others are free to criticise you as well .. you'll just ignore it anyway and sulk.

Looking forward to "positive suggestions" from you, so as to set an example for others.

Here's an example : stop killing your own ideas by communicating them in such uncivil ways. Perhaps then others will stop ignoring them (and you) and see you for the value you provide. You will then feel less bitter about the community.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Maybe Doug just wants to contribute to something that he enjoys without any thought of monetary remuneration. These things do happen when people who are not self centered decide to give time and effort to a hobby or cause.
If you consider it we did Oktoberfest for free. I didn't make a cent off of it. Personally being a TD at Oktoberfest cost me what limited vacation time I had back then.I didn't have paid sick days at the factory and would use vacation days to cover those days I was sick. Since most of my vacation days were used at Oktoberfest it actually cost me money. I didn't care. It was a joy helping to run Oktoberfest.

I know Fish didn't make money off of it as most of the " profits " went to covering the expenses of Mac, Charlie, Rex and other guests for coming to Oktoberfest. There was an expression at the time that caused us a lot of amusement: What does Fish do with all that money he makes from Oktoberfest? LMFAO! Right. Whatever.

Look up the word altruistic. It will probably be the ASL Word of the Day.

I get twelve thumbs up for some of my statements most likely because I try to be positive about my approach to the game and those who play it, even if they are disputaious and discourteous to others. To a point, then my good nature takes a back seat and I will let the sarcastic jick that I really am try to point out to these bolshie individuals that they would be much better off expressing themselves and acting in a manner that befits a Gentleperson.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Maybe Doug just wants to contribute to something that he enjoys without any thought of monetary remuneration. These things do happen when people who are not self centered decide to give time and effort to a hobby or cause.
If you consider it we did Oktoberfest for free. I didn't make a cent off of it. Personally being a TD at Oktoberfest cost me what limited vacation time I had back then. Seeing as I used my vacation time to cover days I was sick, I didn't have paid sick days at the factory, it actually cost me money. I didn't care. It was a joy helping to run Oktoberfest.

I know Fish didn't make money off of it as most of the " profits " went to covering the expenses of Mac, Charlie, Rex and other guests for coming to Oktoberfest. There was an expression at the time that caused us a lot of amusement: What does Fish do with all that money he makes from Oktoberfest? LMFAO! Right. Whatever.

Look up the word altruistic. It will probably be the ASL Word of the Day.

I get twelve thumbs up for some of my statements most likely because I try to be positive about my approach to the game and those who play it, even if they are disputaious and discourteous to others. To a point, then my good nature takes a back seat and I will let the sarcastic jick that I really am try to point out to these bolshie individuals that they would be much better of expressing themselves and acting in a manner that befits a Gentleperson.
Fish did cover the cost of our hotel room in the later years. I guess that counts as remuneration. 🤔

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok, I'll do it...But as the site needs to be supported by TD's I'll need $200 startup from each tournament in fees.

I'll start it when I get all TD's that have players on the ASL Player's List to be maintained..
Thank you for your assistance.
Come back and let us know how it goes so we can criticize your efforts.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just another quick note to say problem fixed, site is back to normal with updated ratings based on some new results added since Jan 1: vasl leagues 2020 and albany 2021.

I think I finally have the much-loved (LOL) decay function working properly and you can see its effect in these results.

There are currently results for 2069 players. Of these 1570 have some kind of decay impact. It is interesting that even players with several hundred tournament games to their name have had long enough periods of inactivity to trigger a decay to their rating.

Let me know if you see a rating that doesn't make sense to you.

I am working on an enhancement that will let you see the evolution of a given player's rating over time. This will help understand the impact of the decay function. Hopefully, my coding skills will rise to the challenge.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just another quick note to say problem fixed, site is back to normal with updated ratings based on some new results added since Jan 1: vasl leagues 2020 and albany 2021.

I think I finally have the much-loved (LOL) decay function working properly and you can see its effect in these results.

There are currently results for 2069 players. Of these 1570 have some kind of decay impact. It is interesting that even players with several hundred tournament games to their name have had long enough periods of inactivity to trigger a decay to their rating.

Let me know if you see a rating that doesn't make sense to you.

I am working on an enhancement that will let you see the evolution of a given player's rating over time. This will help understand the impact of the decay function. Hopefully, my coding skills will rise to the challenge.
What is the time period of inactivity, after which the "decay" is triggered?

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ratings begin to decline three years after their last tournament playing at a rate of about 35 points per year and are capped at a fraction (15%) of a player’s rating at the time decay came into effect.

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ratings begin to decline three years after their last tournament playing at a rate of about 35 points per year and are capped at a fraction (15%) of a player’s rating at the time decay came into effect.
Doug, any consideration given to the impact of COVID on tournament attendance relative to the time decay?