ASL Player Ratings

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I think one should consider the balance between the cost/hassle for the devoted volunteers that have done this, and the potential issues that may arise from having, maybe, someone skew their rating temporarily by playing a lot of ASLSK against less experienced opponents. I just cannot see this being worth the time and effort.
Simple...
Create another sheet on your EXCEL spreadsheet.
SK games only.
Not rocket science..
I've created my own and I am hardly as skilled as Doug and others.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would play in your tournament, but herding ASL players (who I notice have some opinions) probably needs a gentler hand! 🤣
its pretty much how we rand the tourneys back in the 90s at LA Hyatt for StrategiCon and OrcCon ASL events.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Canadian ASL Open just started its 25th annual tournament. I used the ASL Player Ratings to seed the 40 players who registered. A few weren't in the database, so I sent a tried and true questionnaire out to those folks to help me assign a ranking. Most complied. I Googled the other two to figure out how to seed them.

We're off! I can't imagine sorting out the pairings without this tool.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I think one should consider the balance between the cost/hassle for the devoted volunteers that have done this, and the potential issues that may arise from having, maybe, someone skew their rating temporarily by playing a lot of ASLSK against less experienced opponents. I just cannot see this being worth the time and effort.
Separate the SK records from the ASL Rating system and develop an ASLSK Rating system.
It isn't the same game.
Players HAVE already done this.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Likely, a competitive Tournament should only have the top 12 of the 50 players compete for the top prize.
Others can still compete for their "level" of competition.

Essentially you'll end up with 5 "mini's" and you can structure the tournaments like the VASL LEAGUE with divisions.
IF you want to compete for the big prize, one should have to UP their game to get into the top tier.
Players go to tournaments "not to win", but to enjoy the comraderie...well then, change the structure to reflect the casual attitude.

Everyone knows seed 29 out of 50 isn't going to win...so create a situation where he can compete and win in his own division.

We all know there are different skill levels of ASL players....Why mix them?
Easy wins?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Likely, a competitive Tournament should only have the top 12 of the 50 players compete for the top prize.
Others can still compete for their "level" of competition.

Essentially you'll end up with 5 "mini's" and you can structure the tournaments like the VASL LEAGUE with divisions.
IF you want to compete for the big prize, one should have to UP their game to get into the top tier.
Players go to tournaments "not to win", but to enjoy the comraderie...well then, change the structure to reflect the casual attitude.

Everyone knows seed 29 out of 50 isn't going to win...so create a situation where he can compete and win in his own division.

We all know there are different skill levels of ASL players....Why mix them?
Easy wins?
To only have the top twelve out of fifty compete for the top prize is a horrible idea. Try it at an event you host and see how well it is received. You'll be able to tell by the number of attendees the next year.

How can you say how the 29th seeded player will do? If you are that prescient why not just forgo the competition and award the prizes to whomever you know will win.

There are some tournaments with that " not to win casual attitude " and they seem to do pretty well. ASLOk is one of them.

As far as putting players in a division where they only play against opponents in their division that is another very bad idea. Part of the tournament experience is being able to play and learn from players who may be better or more experienced than you.

I generally try not to disparage new ideas especially about events and tournaments but these I couldn't let pass without commenting on.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I heard you the first time.:)
Yet no one has addressed the problem.
I can legit play 30 SK games and likely win most of them.
To boost me to new heights pitting me against the lower half of the pecking order

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
To boost me to new heights pitting me against the lower half of the pecking order
You say it is a problem.
You have the excel spreadsheet with the second SK only file.
You set up the structure of the tournaments.
You live in Southern California where there are probably fifty SK players just itchin' to play some FtF games in a tournament.
You host the tournament there and test to see if it solves the problem.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
“It’s the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” -- incorrectly attribute to Aristotle

You think it's wrong. He doesn't. Create your own or accept it for what it is. Sure, you might face the lower half in the first round but you would be sorted out soon enough. -- jim

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
You say it is a problem.
You live in Southern California where there are probably fifty SK players just itchin' to play some FtF games in a tournament.
I know of one individual that is sitting at an ASL (not SK) rating over 1700. His last 20 games were vs SK games.
He's going to be seeded VERY High.

What makes you think I live in southern CA?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
You say it is a problem.
How would running a SK tournament solve the problem?
I've suggested that when SK players engage in an ASL tournament, the ASL players should play a SK scenario vs that opponent. That would be the first step.
But imagination and change aren't part of the 30+ yr ASL crowd.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
How would running a SK tournament solve the problem?
I've suggested that when SK players engage in an ASL tournament, the ASL players should play a SK scenario vs that opponent. That would be the first step.
But imagination and change aren't part of the 30+ yr ASL crowd.
When SK players attend an ASL tournament they should expect to have to play ASL. I don't think most ASL players would be thrilled to attend an ASL event and find out that they have to play SK.

The idea of SK was a stepping stone to ASL. Players who only want to play SK should host their own SK event.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Why would I play an SK scenario v. that opponent? Isn't your whole point that the games are different and shouldn't be rated on the same table? Why would an ASL player--going to an ASL tournament--agree to play ASL-lite? I don't know that game any more than the SK'er knows my game. This would be a silly first step IMO. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Why would I play an SK scenario v. that opponent? Isn't your whole point that the games are different and shouldn't be rated on the same table? Why would an ASL player--going to an ASL tournament--agree to play ASL-lite? I don't know that game any more than the SK'er knows my game. This would be a silly first step IMO. -- jim
It would be like a fast pitch softball tournament allowing slow pitch teams and if you face them you have to play slow pitch.

Thinking about it it's more like hardball vs. slow pitch. 🤔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I bumped up the Batter Up thread which has a lot of my thoughts on player ratings. I don't have the time or energy to restate all that.