ASL Player Ratings

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There have been several threads about the availability of ASL Player Ratings and a webtool (such as AREA) to support them.

This new thread picks up on those threads (most recently: APCR).

It continues the discussion about the development of a new website to make player rankings available. In particular, the site should be useful to those TD's who use a ranking/seeding system in their tournaments to determine matchups.

I can report good progress on the development of the site, which is being done in an open-source fashion. All the files and code for the site are available on a public github repository.

Most of the views to display results are built, although look-and-feel elements still need to be applied in many cases. I am now working to build the toolset to enable ongoing management of the data. I am missing one key piece in order to recreate the ratings methodology and Bruno has committed to forwarding it to me.

The site will be hosted by the good folks at Texas-asl and a preview can be viewed here. It changes regularly as updates are applied.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

I am more than happy to have others join me in this venture; as with VASL, anyone is free to build/change parts of the site.

The underlying data, extracted from AREA with Bruno's permission, is also available on the github site in several formats. It too is a community resource, available to all.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Fantastic!

Just wanted to point out (and you probably already know this) that Bruno's data is missing about 3 years of tournament results that have been compiling here and there. Hopefully with Bruno. But even since he gave it up for good, there have been some tournaments. Also, I don't know that the ASL VASL tournament results were collected/finished by Enrico before he dropped out of contact at the end of last year.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Fantastic!

Just wanted to point out (and you probably already know this) that Bruno's data is missing about 3 years of tournament results that have been compiling here and there. Hopefully with Bruno. But even since he gave it up for good, there have been some tournaments. Also, I don't know that the ASL VASL tournament results were collected/finished by Enrico before he dropped out of contact at the end of last year.
Yes, very much aware. The current workplan is as follows:

1. Bring the site into parallel with the current AREA site: meaning that the same data as contained in AREA is used to produce the same ratings.
  2. Start adding 2017-20 data and generate up-to-date ratings using the AREA methodology.
  3. In parallel with 2, continue to build a new toolset that allows easier updating of the key components: players, tournaments and tournament games results. This would involve more tools for TDs to improve data quality from them and facilitate updating the db, plus tools to allow individuals to contribute.
  4. Explore options for a more fundamental redesign of the data, the algorithms, and the output as per A. Cleavin’s work or something like it.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you. As for helping out, I'd love to, but not sure what I can do other than grunt work as I'm not a programmer.
I appreciate the offer. I think one thing I would suggest is in line with your initial comment: we need to find the data from 2017-2020 and try and collect it from TDs and others and then get it into a format that can be uploaded into the new system (I have already built that upload tool) - which is really just messing around with spreadsheets. If you are game, I can provide list of tournaments as a starting point. I have asked Bruno what data he has that he hasn't entered and am waiting to hear back from him.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I appreciate the offer. I think one thing I would suggest is in line with your initial comment: we need to find the data from 2017-2020 and try and collect it from TDs and others and then get it into a format that can be uploaded into the new system (I have already built that upload tool) - which is really just messing around with spreadsheets. If you are game, I can provide list of tournaments as a starting point. I have asked Bruno what data he has that he hasn't entered and am waiting to hear back from him.
Sure, I'll poke around. I know some of the directors personally..I'll PM you my email addy

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I hope your endeavor is successful. Good luck to you and all who participate in your project.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I believe Magnus Rimvall already collected the European data for Aaron. I will send an email to him to verify.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
I believe Magnus Rimvall already collected the European data for Aaron. I will send an email to him to verify.
I have the contacts. i have metadata (location, date and 4 main placements) for European tournaments Until last summer. I have no data for played games.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have the contacts. i have metadata (location, date and 4 main placements) for European tournaments Until last summer. I have no data for played games.
There have been 1-2 other tourneys since last summer in the UK I believe, plus the VASL tourney (Enrico) didn't die on the vine until December 2019. There were two recent VASL tourneys put up, at least -- Conscripts and a special on Death to Fascism you probably know about....

Do you want to follow up these contacts you have, then?

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I can deliver GRENADIER data from 2014 ´till today.
Also i have given them to Magnus already.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The current workplan is as follows:

1. Bring the site into parallel with the current AREA site: meaning that the same data as contained in AREA is used to produce the same ratings.
  2. Start adding 2017-20 data and generate up-to-date ratings using the AREA methodology.
  3. In parallel with 2, continue to build a new toolset that allows easier updating of the key components: players, tournaments and tournament games results. This would involve more tools for TDs to improve data quality from them and facilitate updating the db, plus tools to allow individuals to contribute.
  4. Explore options for a more fundamental redesign of the data, the algorithms, and the output as per A. Cleavin’s work or something like it.
As of today, and due primarily to the unrelenting efforts of Sam Tyson, who knows a thing or two I tell you, we have essentially realized item 1 of the workplan. Check out the ASL Player Ratings website. Data is live and reflects as close a match to where AREA stopped as I can get to.

Most active players should see their ratings to be within a point or two of the final AREA ratings. A small number will see a larger change; all of which I can explain. Really. Mostly due to data additions/changes. If you do not feel your rating is close enough to your AREA rating, let me know.

As for #2 on the workplan, Marc Hanna (Honosbinda on GS) has been putting in great work tracking down data from 2017-2020 and we should be able to input it and generate new ratings starting this summer. If you don't like your rating now, just wait it will change! I have not yet decided whether ratings should be recalculated every time new data is added or on a set time interval, such as monthly. Does it matter? Thoughts?

Items 3 and 4 remain on the to do list. I have made a good start on a new toolset (item #3) which you can see on the website under Tools and Support. If you click any of those items and get an error, just remember that is what under development means.

Feedback on the site and other comments are always welcome.

Doug

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm sure I have the data for Human Wave 2018 and 2019, as well as CASLO 2020.
Thanks for this!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As of today, and due primarily to the unrelenting efforts of Sam Tyson, who knows a thing or two I tell you, we have essentially realized item 1 of the workplan. Check out the ASL Player Ratings website. Data is live and reflects as close a match to where AREA stopped as I can get to.

Most active players should see their ratings to be within a point or two of the final AREA ratings. A small number will see a larger change; all of which I can explain. Really. Mostly due to data additions/changes. If you do not feel your rating is close enough to your AREA rating, let me know.

As for #2 on the workplan, Marc Hanna (Honosbinda on GS) has been putting in great work tracking down data from 2017-2020 and we should be able to input it and generate new ratings starting this summer. If you don't like your rating now, just wait it will change! I have not yet decided whether ratings should be recalculated every time new data is added or on a set time interval, such as monthly. Does it matter? Thoughts?

Items 3 and 4 remain on the to do list. I have made a good start on a new toolset (item #3) which you can see on the website under Tools and Support. If you click any of those items and get an error, just remember that is what under development means.

Feedback on the site and other comments are always welcome.

Doug
This is much appreciated!

IMHO GS Forum, AREA, ROAR and the ASL Scenario Archive are the most useful websites for ASL (with some others close behind). Now due to your efforts ASL Player Ratings will take the place of AREA.

Thanks a lot for all the work!

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have not yet decided whether ratings should be recalculated every time new data is added or on a set time interval, such as monthly. Does it matter? Thoughts?
A recalculation every month, or even every quarter, would suffice imo.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have not yet decided whether ratings should be recalculated every time new data is added or on a set time interval, such as monthly. Does it matter? Thoughts?
I think a monthly recalculation will do.

Normally, people do not play in tournaments as often as they do otherwise. And as the ASL Player Ratings (as I understand it) are for tournament games only, it seems fitting.

I cannot judge how long recalculation takes. If it is not finished in a matter of seconds or minutes, it might be confusing to see ratings "half done".

von Marwitz