ASL Plans for 2018

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I wouldn't regard a paltry two or three 18 wheel trucks a convoy. Don't forget his travel kit and the trucks have to fit in his Antonov An-124 along with his counter moving and die rolling staff.
Antonov??!?!?!?!, I Could not possibly fly in Soviet junk

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
We have 8 hours to go yet! And America even more. But Happy New Year to all those in "The East".

Pieter76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Happy New Year to all of you guys!

After playing 3 scenario's in 2015, 2 in 2016 and none in 2017 I would like to set a goal for myself of playing at least 25 scenario's in 2018.

The start is looking promising. I have 4 VASL scenario's going or ready to start and a FTF game planned for January ☺

Let's all stay healthy and roll low in 2018!

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Antonov??!?!?!?!, I Could not possibly fly in Soviet junk
Unless you get a Boeing 747-8, you will not get an aircraft big enough for your travel kit. As for Soviet junk, only 4 crashed in over 30 years, 1 into mountain, 1 in a botched landing go-around, 1 in a take off engine failure (improper mix of fuel for the cold weather at the time) and 1 due to structural failure during a high speed descent test. So 3 likely due to operator, 1 likely to aircraft.

Antonov much stronk aircraft, made of best Stalinium heat quenched in blood of gulag inmates.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Happy New Year to all of you guys!

After playing 3 scenario's in 2015, 2 in 2016 and none in 2017 I would like to set a goal for myself of playing at least 25 scenario's in 2018.

The start is looking promising. I have 4 VASL scenario's going or ready to start and a FTF game planned for January ☺

Let's all stay healthy and roll low in 2018!
You should go to the ASL tournament(s) in Lille or Grenadier - both are close to you and you will get in 5-6 games in three days. Plus learn more ASL and get to know new people in the hobby !

Pieter76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
You should go to the ASL tournament(s) in Lille or Grenadier - both are close to you and you will get in 5-6 games in three days. Plus learn more ASL and get to know new people in the hobby !
Thanks for the tip Jacometti. I will definitely try to visit at least one tournament in 2018.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Seems like is was just yesterday that we were discussing what our goals were for 2017.

So, for me, here's what I'm shooting for:

1. Attend two tournaments (March Madness and one other).
  2. Play 50 games, either FTF, live VASL w/Skype, PBEM, or solo trying to work through concepts I need to understand better.
  3. Play against at least 6 new opponents.
  4. Finish punching, clipping and sorting my counters in a way that works for me.
  5. Revise my ASL Scenario Spreadsheet to be easier to sort.
  6. Reread BOB.
  7. Proofread material for anyone who asks as a way of giving back to the community (I don't feel I'm a good enough player to be a playtester).
  8. Help out new players wherever possible.
  9. Have fun and have a smile on my face when the dice are against me (which is often).
Have a great 2018 everyone!!

Mark

ozradio

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Morning
Continue playing through the Journal scenarios (started this quest beginning with 1944 vs Brian Yee), continue my
trek through the Action Packs vs Jeff Buser, Schwerpunkt packs vs Don "Big Noodle" Holland, Tactiques vs Roy
Connely, having fun in VASLeague 2018 (maybe the die gods will shine on me this year), Continue my RB CG III vs
Lawrence Davies, hopefully get in some play testing with Chas Smith (BFP) and attending Spreading Blaze.
But more importantly, improve my play and have fun.
Cheers ya'll and Happy New Year
Pierce "Saltine-American"
And hopefully make quicker progress through B&J, Pierce!
Ryan

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I total suck as a player but if even I can understand the scenario /CG anyone can,hence a good benchmark if folks wanna design for the masses.

Seems like is was just yesterday that we were discussing what our goals were for 2017.

So, for me, here's what I'm shooting for:

1. Attend two tournaments (March Madness and one other).
  2. Play 50 games, either FTF, live VASL w/Skype, PBEM, or solo trying to work through concepts I need to understand better.
  3. Play against at least 6 new opponents.
  4. Finish punching, clipping and sorting my counters in a way that works for me.
  5. Revise my ASL Scenario Spreadsheet to be easier to sort.
  6. Reread BOB.
  7. Proofread material for anyone who asks as a way of giving back to the community (I don't feel I'm a good enough player to be a playtester).
  8. Help out new players wherever possible.
  9. Have fun and have a smile on my face when the dice are against me (which is often).
Have a great 2018 everyone!!

Mark

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
My 2018 ASL tasks, in order of priority:
  1. Play at every opportunity
  2. Recruit and train newcomers to the hobby
  3. Host a Tokyo event
  4. Maintain Japan newsletter and Asia-Pacific Meetup to keep communications channels open
  5. Get submitted articles and scenarios published
  6. Develop and playtest; support other developers' efforts
  7. Buy new and updated official stuff; organize group orders
  8. Sort, catalog and store same
  9. Attend a tournament elsewhere should time and wallet allow (sadly, likely not, but we can hope)

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During 2018 I look forward to...

1. Playing Korean War ASL.
2. Persuading my regular FTF opponent to take on another campaign game.
3. Doing some more playtesting/proofreading.
4. Playing more PTO and persuading my opponent to play an amphibious landing scenario or two.
5. Taking an occasional break from ASL to play naval war games or Downtown (if I can ever find a copy) so as to prevent ASL 'burn-out'.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In 2018 I hope to achieve the following:
1. Play over 50 games of ASL.
2. Host the March Madness ASL Tournament.
3. Attend 4 other ASL tournaments.
4. Host 12 monthly game days for the Kansas City ASL club.
5. release a March Madness scenario pack.

All with a little help from my friends.