ASL Overlay Bundle is now up for preorder!

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Love the zippered notebook idea.

Back in the day I bought a photo album with the 'sticky' cardboard pages with a celophane flap covering each page. I figured that would be perfect. Didn't work. The overlays just didn't stick to it, and kept falling out, especially the small ones. Not enough surface area I guess.

Pro-tip for affixing overlays to the map... sticky notes. Tear off just the top part, the sticky part, and form a loop, like you would with scotch-tape. Perfect amount of stickiness to hold them in place during play and won't leave any residue or damage the mapboard.

PNMarkW2

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
As most of my overlays remain pristine (as in not yet cut out) if I knew someone local with one of these I'd give them a call.

Mark

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'll peek over my wife's shoulder and see how complicated the programming is. If I decide to give it a go, I'll let you know how it turns out.

My impression is that it'll cut the designs just fine: the big issue will likely be, as "Old Noob" hints, of programming the cuts exactly right and of getting the pages perfectly aligned inside the Cricut.
This sounds like something screaming out for a completely over-the-top investment of time and effort to develop a needlessly complicated solution that, in the end, is barely more acceptable than the simplest low-tech approach that any Caveman could do.

In short, the perfect ASL Way :)
I find it hard to grapple with the fact that the idea has not been proposed by a German.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I can hardly grapple with the fact that the idea has not been proposed by a German.

von Marwitz
I am positive, however, that the overlays are drawn in German.

In French literature, Alexandre Dumas (author of the Three Musketeers) wrote, with a similar trait of humour :
- Haha, she laughed in Potugese.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished cutting out the last of my overlays today. Probably the most tedious, time-consuming, soul-crushing ASL-related activity I've ever undertaken, which is no mean feat...

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably the most tedious, time-consuming, soul-crushing ASL-related activity I've ever undertaken, which is no mean feat...
Ha! This is the reason I intend to keep the overlays as is and cut out only the ones needed on those rare occasions when I actually don't pass over a scenario requiring overlays. Color me lazy. :oops:

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
This is the reason I intend to keep the overlays as is and cut out only the ones needed on those rare occasions when I actually don't pass over a scenario requiring overlays.
That's my natural position too, but I don't want it to be the reason I skip over scenarios, which is why I'm exploring the Cricut option. (I might save the Cricut for the larger overlays--those with lots of concave cuts. I can cut the small overlays out by hand easily enough.)

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished cutting out the last of my overlays today. Probably the most tedious, time-consuming, soul-crushing ASL-related activity I've ever undertaken, which is no mean feat...
It definitely was less impactful to spread out the overlay cutting whenever you acquired a module that had them.