ASL OPEN IN ROAR

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have added all the rseults from the OPEN into ROAR. If I have made an error, please correct it yourself. Please note that the two matchs of the revised Streets of Stalingrad will be changed when the OPEN 3 scenario is added to ROAR Right now it is entered as Scenario C.

David

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a note to players, it seems as if Lost Opportunities and Confusion Reigns results were also entered under their old listings and not those for the Yanks 2 version (as provided for in the tournament). As this will impact about 14 players and skew the ROAR balance of these redesigned/updated scenarios, players may want to check their listings to ensure the correct rendition of their playing had been entered.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a note to players, it seems as if Lost Opportunities and Confusion Reigns results were also entered under their old listings and not those for the Yanks 2 version (as provided for in the tournament). As this will impact about 14 players and skew the ROAR balance of these redesigned/updated scenarios, players may want to check their listings to ensure the correct rendition of their playing had been entered.
I deleted what Dave entered for my game of Lost Opportunities. Rich had already entered it under correct ID.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
One problem with ROAR as it relates to players is that there are sometime two or three versions of someone's name. When I run across this I usually report this to JR who fixes this. Players should really review ROAR and correct this themselves.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One problem with ROAR as it relates to players is that there are sometime two or three versions of someone's name. When I run across this I usually report this to JR who fixes this. Players should really review ROAR and correct this themselves.
For ROAR's primary purpose this isn't really a problem. ROAR is not a player rating system. It aims to give information on the balance of a scenario. If a playing is recorded against one or the other of duplicate accounts it is of no importance for the results.

JR

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
For ROAR's primary purpose this isn't really a problem. ROAR is not a player rating system. It aims to give information on the balance of a scenario. If a playing is recorded against one or the other of duplicate accounts it is of no importance for the results.

JR
Hi JR, I added the CGs of RO about a week ago because they were missing from the Red Factories list. Are they going to be added to ROAR?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States

JR
Of course, you are right. It must be in my nature after 36 years looking at personnel records as an accountant to want things exact and right. I like the feature of my personal record but it just bugs me to see different versions of various opponents.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Of course, you are right. It must be in my nature after 36 years looking at personnel records as an accountant to want things exact and right. I like the feature of my personal record but it just bugs me to see different versions of various opponents.
Wanting perfect data is a fundamental problem, and not just for accountants. Following the question farther, if one wanted truly perfect data for example for ROAR or for AREA, one would not accept the word of the players or the tournament director, one would have to witness the event, at least the handshake at the end or get a video of the playing. That would improve the quality of the data, but not to perfection; the meaning of the handshake could be misunderstood (the winner looked glum and the loser happy) or the person in the video might not be who it was said he was. That brings up the deeper point: although it seems "free" data quality has a cost, and getting better quality generally costs something. The cost of perfect data is usually "a lot," and any data, not just ROAR or AREA, probably is probably not perfect. The question then is whether the data is good enough for the purpose it is used for.

Regarding the "duplicate accounts," some are not in fact duplicates, which is a non-trivial to sort out. I am willing to let them persist until someone notifies me because determining whether the accounts are truly duplicates rather than coincidences has a cost. If only people were required to have unique names ;-)

JR

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi JR, Thanks for updating the Red Factories list on ROAR. There are a couple of errors that I noticed and sent you a message via the ROAR website.
Jan.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Wanting perfect data is a fundamental problem, and not just for accountants. Following the question farther, if one wanted truly perfect data for example for ROAR or for AREA, one would not accept the word of the players or the tournament director, one would have to witness the event, at least the handshake at the end or get a video of the playing. That would improve the quality of the data, but not to perfection; the meaning of the handshake could be misunderstood (the winner looked glum and the loser happy) or the person in the video might not be who it was said he was. That brings up the deeper point: although it seems "free" data quality has a cost, and getting better quality generally costs something. The cost of perfect data is usually "a lot," and any data, not just ROAR or AREA, probably is probably not perfect. The question then is whether the data is good enough for the purpose it is used for.

Regarding the "duplicate accounts," some are not in fact duplicates, which is a non-trivial to sort out. I am willing to let them persist until someone notifies me because determining whether the accounts are truly duplicates rather than coincidences has a cost. If only people were required to have unique names ;-)

JR
Obviously my last name is never mixed up, misspelled yes, but generally found rather quickly in the database.