Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
When I purchased my ASL RB v2, it did not include chapter K. Your article (nice BTW) states that is included. Has that changed?

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, I believe it is a later addition now that Paratrooper is OOP and has been supplanted by Yanks 3a

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here is my latest on No Dice, No Glory:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found this to be a pretty cool read on younger players discovering ASL https://nodicenoglory.com/2021/05/10/advanced-squad-leader-the-next-generation-by-david-garvin/

We have a few younger players passing through our club over the years. One guy who picked up learning ASL really well was Kyle, a university student and was already defeating experienced opponents in his first few games. He had been studying the rulebook quite a bit before meeting up with us. He was a smart funny guy and he would have interesting questions on tactics. I don't remember how he found the game, but most people find out about our club through the meeting schedule on the website. Of course life moves on and after a couple years he moved on (geographically I'm guessing). He must have been born in the late 80's or early 90's. I'm glad I was able to gift him a laminated IIFT that Trojan Games gave me in one of my Raaco orders from long ago.

A common thread, like explained in the article, is the narrative the game creates. ASL just grabs you and you keep coming back to it despite its complexity. That's a lot to be said for the game, especially as a new player you're going to take a lot of beatdowns. It's the journey that's most of the fun and not so much the end result.