ASL newbie orientation guide?

altrent

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

I bought the ASLRB and BV back in '94, barely read the rules, and found no one really interested in playing with me.. So I did not really insisted and dropped the whole thing.
But this year I bought the ASLSK, and now that I live in the DC area I am sure I will find plenty of people to have a game with. :)

I am now facing the same dilemma many newbies are facing. Should I try to buy every module with mounted maps (and forget about West of Alamein and whatever other other modules will be out of stock by the time I get enough money -- or spend $ zillions on eBay for less than perfect products) or should I just wait for MMP to release new modules with the new ASLSK style map?
MMP didn't say they would release old modules with the new style map, but if they want to keep this game going on they have to reprint the out of stock modules (or at least maps, rules & OBA) and they also said that every new map will be in the new style.
I just don't want to start a whole collection and have half of it on mounted board and the other half new style map... I just wish MMP would P# their mounted map as someone else proposed on this forum. This way, they have no risk of losing money, and we cannot blame them for not making the mounted map version available...

Cheers,
Yannick

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's my suggestion:

Hook up with the DC Conscripts; there web site is here: http://www.dcconscripts.org/
I'm sure you can find players who will be interested in playing with you.

If you decide you like the game, then buy Paratrooper (the new edition from MMP). Between the DC Conscripts and reading your rule book you will be able to keep yourself busy until MMP re-releases Beyond Valor.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
If you do decide to get into ASL, here is what I did. I purchased the modules from MMP that are available, which is currently about half. You can aquire the remaining modules from ebay or wherever. Here are some things you should know about dealing with ASL on ebay.
  • Most of the items that sell for really outrageous prices are unopened and still in the shrinkwrap. The reason the price is high is because collectors also want it (almost like comic books).
  • You can get really good deals on used ASL material. Just watch for it and you'll notice it doesn't get bid up like the collector-grade material.
  • If you lose a bid on ebay, don't worry about it. There are usuaully 2-3 of the same items up for bid at any given time. If you miss one, another will be along shortly.
  • Be patient. There is no need to pay outrageous prices unless you can afford to do so or simply can't wait. If you're patient, you will get some deals.
  • ebay isn't the only option. Talk to your local ASL players or club. Some of them may have extra material for sale.
  • If all else fails, post a message in the "ASL depot" above stating what it is you are looking for. Chances are someone will respond to your request.
I suggest you pick up a copy of the 1st edition rulebook. You can get unopened copies in pristine condition for under $20. I just got one for my son a while back. Paid $19 for it still in the shrinkwrap. The 2nd edition is nice, but it isn't a must.

You really don't need WoA unless you are planning on fighting in the desert. If you're a new player that is unlikely. The full UK order of battle is available in FKaC, which is available for a reasonable price from MMP.

The Journals and Annuals can go for some heavy duty bucks, but people pay this because they want them, not because they need them.
  • 1st edition ASL Rulebook (used) -- from ebay $35
  • Beyond Valor (used) -- from ebay $45
  • For King and Country (new) -- from MMP $80
  • Yanks (new) -- from MMP $60
  • Gung Ho! (new) -- from MMP $65
  • Paratrooper (new) -- from MMP $33
  • Total investment -- $318
That's around $318 for an intitial investment (I paid $400+ for the video card in my computer). This is more than enough to keep you busy for quite a while.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Actually, I would go with WoA, FKaC costs 80 bucks and for a perhaps at most for an open copy of WoA you might pay an extra 20 bucks but you get the desert rules which is very cool.

Scott

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have BV, ASLRB1 and live in knee mortar range of the DC Conscripts. I would say that you are in good shape.
Buy the modules that you can right now and do not worry about the mounted/unmounted thing. You can still get a complete set of mounted through select purchases.
Check out Boulder Games, Key Games (Alex), Fine Games and MMP. You will be able to pick up as many modules as you can afford.
The biggest issue that you face is the difficulty of finding COB. That contains the majority of the PTO Rules. But, you should be able to learn the basics from the Conscripts.

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm in Silver Spring, Maryland and have been gaming with the Conscripts since last spring. It's a great group, very newbie friendly. I'd be happy to play something with you at some point.

As for acquiring the modules: if you're the laid back and patient type I'd agree with Chas: get a Rulebook and Paratrooper, and then gradually build your collection as the reprints come available from MMP, starting with the third edition Beyond Valor. If, however, you're a type-A completist (like me), then I'd suggest spending $400-500 for a nice collection on eBay. That'll be a lot cheaper in the long-run than buying every out of print module piecemeal.

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
One thing I didn't see mentioned was IF you get the first edition ASL rulebook, you should try and get a first edition Paratrooper with Chapter K of the ASLRB included. Thats what I'm doing, simply because its cheaper to get a used set of first edition rules/modules then try and buy all new stuff.

Then I'll continue to find the rest of the modules that have the remaining missing Chapters for the ASLRB and be happy.

Cheers,

altrent

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you all for the advices.
I already own the ASLRBv1 and BV, they aged quite well. :)
I guess I will hunt down the other out of print modules on eBay.
I don't know when those modules became unavailable, but coming back this 'late' to ASL makes you feel like you have missed the bandwagon.. Let's hope a bright future for ASL, with a lot of re-prints. :D

Cheers,
Yannick

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yannick,

As Don indicated in his post, you can pick a number of the modules from MMP. You can also purchase them from Gamer's Armory for 25% off the MMP price. You may want to consider purchasing a large lot on eBay, such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2537&item=5928659702&rd=1

Bid at the time of posting was $305 which doesn't seem too bad considering all the modules. Since the two out of print modules in the lot are punched with the overlays cut, I don't think the collectors will bid up the price. This kind of lot is another option for you.

Good luck!

Chris

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To follow-up on my earlier post, I went over to the Gamer's Armory site and noted the following prices for modules:

http://www.gamersarmory.com/

Module 2, Paratrooper: $24.75
Module 3, Yanks: $45.00
Module 4, Partisan: $24.75
Module 5a, For King and Country: $60.00
Module 6, The Last Hurrah: $26.25
Module 7, Hollow Legions: $28.50
Module 10, Croix de Guerre: $33.75

Total: $243.00 + shipping

You can still pick up a new copy of Module 9, Gung Ho from Fine Games for $53 + shipping.

http://www.finegames.com/index.htm

However, you will need a copy of Code of Bushido to play Gung Ho.

So, for a little over $300, you can get new copies of most of the remaining modules. You may find used copies of these modules on eBay for less, but sometimes people there bid the price up above the purchase price elsewhere.

Good luck!

Chris

altrent

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris,

Thanks a lot for all this info! This is very much appreciated.
Depending on the price I might buy a big lot as I only have ASLRB, BV and Partisan so far..

Yannick