ASL never was developed, would you still be playing SL?

Would you have played SL if ASL never was developed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The problems of ASL are minor, compared with SL's quagmire.
I would not compare the years of their mutual existence, but the volume of the rules.
The fact that the mass of ASL rules hasn't generated major problems (one still can use 1st ed.) is close to a miracle.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The problems of ASL are minor, compared with SL's quagmire.
I would not compare the years of their mutual existence, but the volume of the rules.
The fact that the mass of ASL rules hasn't generated major problems (one still can use 1st ed.) is close to a miracle.
I'll agree with you about ASL but still maintain that what SL achieved was quite remarkable.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I liked SL a lot.
ASL is a notch higher, but only exists because of the SL development - and even where it fixes SL problems, it owes to its predecessor to have taken those elements in account.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I liked SL a lot.
ASL is a notch higher, but only exists because of the SL development - and even where it fixes SL problems, it owes to its predecessor to have taken those elements in account.
Absolutely correct! ASL is a far superior product and it's continuing popularity is testament to that. IMHO easily ranks among the top games, not just wargames, ever developed.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IF Avalon Hill had decided to continue Squad leader, I think they would have revamped the rulebooks to synch everything up. As it is, ASL has a clean flow of rules.
Played PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader 1975 - 77, Tobruk in the same time frame. Found Squad Leader in 1977 at Keesler AFB and bought it. And never looked back,
except in fond memory.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
IF Avalon Hill had decided to continue Squad leader, I think they would have revamped the rulebooks to synch everything up. As it is, ASL has a clean flow of rules.
Played PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader 1975 - 77, Tobruk in the same time frame. Found Squad Leader in 1977 at Keesler AFB and bought it. And never looked back,
except in fond memory.
When Doctor Marc introduced me to SL in 1980 I never looked back either.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely correct! ASL is a far superior product and it's continuing popularity is testament to that. IMHO easily ranks among the top games, not just wargames, ever developed.
Boardgame Geek rank is #12 for wargame, and 297 overall.

With almost 10,000 wargames and over 100,000 games of all types listed, I would call that rather impressive. especially considering that most of the others are relatively 'new kids on the block"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243/advanced-squad-leader

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Boardgame Geek rank is #12 for wargame, and 297 overall.

With almost 10,000 wargames and over 100,000 games of all types listed, I would call that rather impressive. especially considering that most of the others are relatively 'new kids on the block"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243/advanced-squad-leader
Exactly.

Only 2 wargames in the TOP 50 are pre 1990: ASL and Up Front!
Only 9 wargames in the TOP 100 are pre 1990: ASL and SL among them.

We'll see how the 'new kids' among the wargames will fare over a 30 year horizon...

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Does anyone know much about 'Twilight Struggle' the Cold War game. It is the #1 wargame and #9 overall. 15 years old. Must be quite something to have such high rankings.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Does anyone know much about 'Twilight Struggle' the Cold War game. It is the #1 wargame and #9 overall. 15 years old. Must be quite something to have such high rankings.
I've played it a few times. It's not really a wargame. Countries have US or USSR influence points which at various times are scored. Its card driven with various cold war events having effect and three decks for early-mid-late cold war.

That doesn't really do it justice. If you're a child of the 80's it absolutely drips theme. There's a Mrs Thatcher card and a sub game for the space race to put a man on the moon. Quick playing time circa 2 hours. Can end quicker.

I don't generally like games like that as I'm pretty much a hex and counter traditionalist but I do like this one. 2 player only and not solitaire suitable.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Indeed, it's not a wargame at all. Easy to get on board, can be completed in one evening, players can use some tricks or skills during play, those who know well the cold war have a (small) advantage, good replayability, the luck factor is very limited. I play it once a year with delight.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its nostalgic, the play and the cards determine an alternate history. Close to a ‘beer and pretzel’ game. I love sending DeGaul or especially Che into Earth orbit on a NASA rocket, lol.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking at some games that have come out since - it seems to have been very 'influential', design -wise.

A very good game; Neither as broad nor as deep as ASL.