ASL Musings

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have noticed how one Fire Phase can change a game remarkably. You can be facing an impenetrable force of squads with MGs in stone buildings with interlocked fields of fire, despairing of getting an MC on any of them and being unable to move without getting shredded in the streets (especially playing Russians without smoke). Then, suddenly, one Fire Phase later, following a string of good rolls on your part and bad rolls on your opponent's, and his line has collapsed and you are poised to mop up.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seen too many players (especially newer/less-experienced ones) reach their PMC WAY too early after a bad string of circumstances not realizing that the old adage, "what goes around comes around" quite often applies to to an ASL match.

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed. The trick is to conserve your forces and try to stay in position to capitalize on any opportunities that might present themselves due to swings of fortune. Don't prematurely make an all out risky attack out of frustration. Bide your time until the end of the scenario and the victory conditions compel you to make that all out attack.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Seen too many players (especially newer/less-experienced ones) reach their PMC WAY too early after a bad string of circumstances not realizing that the old adage, "what goes around comes around" quite often applies to to an ASL match.
You can say that again; particularly in any scenario over 5 turns/with big OB. I'm normally quick to call a scenario but recently I've been playing a set of longer scenarios recently with players who like to play all the way to the last roll even the result is certain. Its opened my eyes to how it ain't over till is over.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have noticed how one Fire Phase can change a game remarkably. You can be facing an impenetrable force of squads with MGs in stone buildings with interlocked fields of fire, despairing of getting an MC on any of them and being unable to move without getting shredded in the streets (especially playing Russians without smoke). Then, suddenly, one Fire Phase later, following a string of good rolls on your part and bad rolls on your opponent's, and his line has collapsed and you are poised to mop up.
As with life's fortunes

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Play to the end! At this year’s Supporting Fire I played a game where I was sure I would lose, then sure I would win, then lost.
The tipping point was when my opponent said he would turn the malfunctioned AT gun to point at the two adjacent tanks, “just in case I repair it “... you can guess the rest.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Play to the end! At this year’s Supporting Fire I played a game where I was sure I would lose, then sure I would win, then lost.
The tipping point was when my opponent said he would turn the malfunctioned AT gun to point at the two adjacent tanks, “just in case I repair it “... you can guess the rest.
Classic!

sounds exactly like something that would happen to me!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had these two things happen to me at the First CASLO, (Canadian ASL Open) that I ever attended.

At the end of my first match, I was down to my last half squad and needed to get one building in my original setup area. My HS was locked into melee with two squads at 2-1 odds against, 1-4 back. It was his turn and he rolled first. He tossed boxes and I withdrew out into an Adjacent building that was in my original setup area. Game over.

Later in that tournament, I was playing a DFB scenario The Forests North of Karachev I believe was the title. The exact VC escape me, but I was in deep excrement again. This time yet another melee was going on, a hero and a gun crew vs 3 squads and a leader. My opponent again obliged with a cars and I scooted the crew out and left the hero behind to keep the Huns busy. He withdrew onto a malfed arty piece. In the Russian turn that followed he fixed the Gun, pivoted the Gun and managed to hit what he was aiming at, a large German kill stack, with a round of smoke. The mods for shooting out of the smoke helped the Germans miss their key shot and gave me the game. My poor opponent just sat there shaking his head muttering "unbelievable" again and again, before turning to his son and saying "This is why you never give up in this game".

Both of these guys were good sports and I really loved the triumphant tone in my second opponents voice as he instructed his son. I got the feeling that topic had been discussed by them before. Gotta love this game.

Last edited: