ASL Literature: What areas remain?

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We were sitting around the Tampa ASL research lounge in our overstuffed leather chairs, sipping bourbon and smoking fine cigars, when the topic of ASL literature came up. We discussed the various aspects of the game that have been written of in articles, analyses, interviews and such. And the question came up...what is left to write about? I think there are areas yet uncharted in the ASL realm, but what do you think? What needs to be written about ASL that has not already appeared? What should be re-visited or explored further?

Evan Sherry
Tampa ASL Group

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Personnally, I would like to see more articles geared toward the newcomer. I think it would be a great resource to help newbies grasp the more advanced parts of the game.

Such articles should be conversational in style with an absolute minimum of references to the rules by number (e.g., see 10.2, 8.31, 4.1, 14.2, etc.). Sometimes it's like reading a legal brief instead of learning a game!

- Rick

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How to's, tactics, and instructional articles. I would think with VASL available as a tool for snaphots, that more illustrated playevents or explanations would be easier to produce. Even making a log file with running commentary as you stepped through it.

Keith

paulkenny

Reaction score
Series Replays, They're the BOMB, cant get enough of em!!!

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jesus H. Christ. Just look at the bibliography I compiled on the Desperation Morale website. Look at all the areas where there are copious articles written and all the areas where there are hardly any articles written--and also try to discern the missing areas, which means that NO articles have been written on those subjects.

The truth is that relatively little that is really substantial has been written on most ASL-related topics.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You think I don't believe Jesus Christ existed? That's a strange comment. And rather off-topic, too.

graydo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
You think I don't believe Jesus Christ existed? That's a strange comment. And rather off-topic, too.
Not a clever response for a clever man. Why not invoke David Lloyd George from now on?

dave

:surprise:

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back to the topic please.

I looked at the Desperation Morale Site. There are several less covered sections there. Who is ready to step up to the plate and write some ASL articles? I have heard a lot of talk over the years of publishing Schwerpunkt, but I usually have to hold a gun on authors so they will write. Mark Pitcavage is a relatively new player who has come a long way in the hobby. I am sure there are many others like Mark, with the inclination to write. I want to hear from you guys. Get writing those articles. I need something new to read.

Evan Sherry

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are still ton's of stuff that need to be done; The 1948 wars, the greek civil war, even Chechyen resistance was going during warld war two! The Mlava battles during 1939 were long and drawn out. Yup, alot of stuff to be touched upon.

Scott

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
pitman said:
The truth is that relatively little that is really substantial has been written on most ASL-related topics.
Pitman
Can you be more specific? What do you think ASL needs or what would you like to see written personally.

Please note in my opinion all your post on different threads in this forum I find very educational, keep up the good work.

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
As a newbie, I'd like to see step by step tutorials to explain basics. I.E..

1) Have as few counters on a map as possible, and take me step through step on how to do firing, LOS etc.

2) Show me how all the phases work.

At the end of each tutorial, I should have the basics explained in that section down, and if not, I can go back through it again till it sinks in.

So ideally this type of tutorial workbook would be broken down with the least amount of complexity. So, tutorials explaining basics - and I'm not talking about covering 10 sections of rules in one tutorial. You need to break it down and make it both readable, doable and educational, without bogging a new person down with simply Reading Chapter A, C, J etc. at the same time.

As purdyrc just mentioned, reading the rules is like reading a legal brief - which essentially says to me, what am I supposed to read next, and in what order.

Yes, I can read all the pdf's on the "getting started " page at Webdex, and I have, but it still doesn't sink in.

Heck, you guys need a guinea pig, or someone who will create a help guide for ASL, I'll do it. I've created help files for NWN Aurora Toolset - over 500 pages in length, with tons of tutorials, examples and the like all in a 7 meg download that works just like a normal Windows help file.

Thats my take on it anyways..8)

Cheers,

R.S.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well, Mark is correct though. The ASL community has barely scratched the surface of what can be done. For starters, there are very few articles that actually talk about tactics. I'm not referring to "seaze" as that is simply taking advantage of the game mechanics and doesn't qualify as real tactics. I'm talking about real tactics; which ones work and which ones don't.

Also, we can never have too many quality AARs.

paulkenny

Reaction score
graydo said:
Not a clever response for a clever man. Why not invoke David Lloyd George from now on?

dave

:surprise:
DAVID E. KELLY!! can we change the subject?!!

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Don Maddox said:
Also, we can never have too many quality AARs.
Hmmmm in the process of trying to fix that (ABtF CGIII - 17N is on the way).

What i would like to see is (and i admit it is not an article) a comprehensive Index sheet with ALL the rule chapters included. There is nothing worse than looking up an obscure rule that is only in A-D but not indexed for E-ZZZZZ.

Big job, i admit that, but it would also be one of those things easily fixed by making the rule book electronic

mgenberg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tactics is a great topic to cover, from the basic concepts to how to implement those concepts in ASL terms. I sometime see mistakes made in basic tactical fundamentals, regardless of the game mechanics involved.

Replays are a great way to demonstrate tactics and mechanics; great for new and old players alike.

kwsrv

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
R.S. Barker,

You may want to try Tom Repetti's website (www.mindspring.com/~tqr/). Being fairly new to ASL myself, I found it very useful in getting started to overcome the daunting task of learning the rules and mechanics.

Tom's website includes Examples of Play for intro scenerios, and many useful cheatsheets. Also the 8 Step Programmed approach to ASL breaks the learning process down into more manageable pieces. It can be found on MMP's website under ASL Articles. Someone a while back posted a copy of it in PDF format which prints very nicely.

Hope this helps.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don is right that there are few articles about tactics. That is why the ASL articles I have written focus on tactics (to be specific, defensive fire tactics, jungle fighting tactics, and a yet-to-be-published comprehensive look at HIP tactics).

There is no need for a step by step how to play ASL article, because that has already been done. It is called Chapter K.

On a broader note, there have been many beginner-related articles; see my bibliography. I don't see much need for more; what is really needed are articles to take people to the next step.

Here are some things that are particularly needed:

1) a comprehensive article on set-up issues

2) the tactics of assaulting a building

3) how to most effectively use leaders

4) halftrack tactics

5) Clever OBA Tricks

6) HASL campaign game strategy articles other than Red Barricades

7) How to purchase wisely for ASL campaign games.

8) Fighting at Long Range

9) How to analyze an opponent's setup

10) how to use and abuse fire and kindling

There. There are ten ideas. And none of them even mention tanks (the most written about subject in ASL).