ASL Journal 13

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I would easily pay for a single sheet product of counters to correct or include the incorrect and/or additional counters.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If my review of the British Chapter H notes was thorough enough, we would be looking at the 3-inch Carrier to get additional counters ( since the usage date starts in 11/41) and replacement counters for the 3-inch IP Carrier (since the usage date only starts in 12/43). Both had 3 counters included in FKaC v1.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Errata or alternative counters in the Journal is a great idea. If MMP can't do that, another alternative is to provide the images of said counters in the Journal (or online?) that could be printed. Lord knows I have excess dozens of foxhole counters jangling around in a ziploc bag somewhere just hoping for a second chance at relevancy. Personally, I can't for a moment justify purchasing a new FKaC for a few errata counters -- edit: or a handful of alternative counters.

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Errata or alternative counters in the Journal is a great idea. If MMP can't do that, another alternative is to provide the images of said counters in the Journal (or online?) that could be printed. Lord knows I have excess dozens of foxhole counters jangling around in a ziploc bag somewhere just hoping for a second chance at relevancy. Personally, I can't for a moment justify purchasing a new FKaC for a few errata counters -- edit: or a handful of alternative counters.
Yep, same here, can't justify buying a new FKaC just to get the 81mm mortars. Would be great if MMP made them available seperately or shipped them with the upcoming (sometime) Journal. I can't see it though, it's probably not a good business model

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are more "alternative" than "errata" counters.
I concur as it relates to the 3” Carrier, as it was in service prior to 8/43. What about the IP 3” Carrier that went into service in 12/43? It seems to me that it should be a straight 81mm. Your thoughts?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I concur as it relates to the 3” Carrier, as it was in service prior to 8/43. What about the IP 3” Carrier that went into service in 12/43? It seems to me that it should be a straight 81mm. Your thoughts?
The new "81mm-versions" (for lack of a better description) of the MTR, and the two vehicles that carry it are there for those who:
a) want to use them in older scenarios that use the 76mm-version;
b) to be used by designers in new scenarios.

I suspect that designers of new scenarios might very well used the 81mm for all three counters (assuming they are aware of them, of course).

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was wondering what impact there would be on older scenarios with the original version of the counters. Still hoping for the "errata counters" option in either the Journal or next issue of Special Ops - believe they've included similar counters in both previously.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not recall any scenarios with the IP 3” Carrier. I seem to recall one with the 3” Carrier, but do not remember the name off the top of my head.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I do not recall any scenarios with the IP 3” Carrier. I seem to recall one with the 3” Carrier, but do not remember the name off the top of my head.
ASL Archive searches results in:
3-in MTR: 159 scenarios.
Carrier, 3-in: 14 scenarios.
IP Carrier, 3-in: 2 scenarios.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Was wondering what impact there would be on older scenarios with the original version of the counters.
On average, MTR attacks will cause a MC of 1 higher intensity (assuming a normal hit, etc.). I'll leave it to others to show how that will affect balance in each scenario featuring these counters. My gut feeling is that the actual impact on balance would measure out as "insignificant".

Of (slightly) more interest is that the British OBA availability for 70mm Battalion Mortar remains unchanged, while there remain no examples of 80mm Battalion Mortar. Did no-one issue upsized ammunition when all these support units were issued replacement hardware?

The mind boggles at all the time and effort being expended on this piddling correction, while other, somewhat more critical errors in Chapter H remain in place with no sign whatsoever of any amendments coming their way. (The complete absence of any German "light trucks", the wrong gun on the Russian SU-57(a) and the wrong turret on the French FT 75 BS being just three examples springing to mind.)

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just kicking back and going through the potential counters that might be included on an Errata/Replacement sheet in J13: 6 PSW 231 (8-rad) for the Dinant CG; 1 AM Dodge errata counter to include the 2-factor AAMG; 4 81mm OML 3" Mtr plus 2 IP Carrier 3" 81mm Mtr and 2 Carrier 3" 81mm Mtr to match what is in FKaC v2. That totals 15 counters, which would potentially leave 1 spot for a different counter. if only printing 2 rows of 8. My choice would be either an extra Finn or Allied Minor Sniper counter or an M35 Bohler 47mm AT Gun in Finnish color.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just kicking back and going through the potential counters that might be included on an Errata/Replacement sheet in J13: 6 PSW 231 (8-rad) for the Dinant CG; 1 AM Dodge errata counter to include the 2-factor AAMG; 4 81mm OML 3" Mtr plus 2 IP Carrier 3" 81mm Mtr and 2 Carrier 3" 81mm Mtr to match what is in FKaC v2. That totals 15 counters, which would potentially leave 1 spot for a different counter. if only printing 2 rows of 8. My choice would be either an extra Finn or Allied Minor Sniper counter or an M35 Bohler 47mm AT Gun in Finnish color.
Black and white SS sniper

csiemers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about a generic turn counter, the word Allied on one side Axis on the other, or maybe just Attacker and Defender? Doesn't fit 100% of the scenarios but beats digging through the counters to find the one with the flag of some obscure fighting group.