ASL Journal 13 now available

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And, looking over the errata, there were no changes to the Soldiers of the Negus scenarios?

As rePrinted in Hollow Legions.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
And, looking over the errata, there were no changes to the Soldiers of the Negus scenarios?

As rePrinted in Hollow Legions.
Could have been - but updates of non-official scenarios issued as official scenario are not published....those changes are not kept track of.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have received my copies of Journal 13 and I am wondering how is the best way to trim the overlay X20?

Thanks doe any assist in advance.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I have received my copies of Journal 13 and I am wondering how is the best way to trim the overlay X20?

As you do for most overlays: cut slightly exterior to the hexsides (so the overlay may cover walls or hedges).
Only the Desert overlays (hillocks, sand, etc.) are cut inside the hexsides.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Overlay X20 was designed to go with board 45 - placed in the middle gap between the large buildings.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was there any thought to naming the scenario in some way that referenced "cement overshoes"? Cuz it just seems like a wasted opportunity.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Was there any thought to naming the scenario in some way that referenced "cement overshoes"? Cuz it just seems like a wasted opportunity.
Sorry, oversight on my part. Never occurred to me. I was imagining soldiers dying in bubbling vats of cement.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Hollywood would have the German Sniper in a long slow fall from his perch, right into the vat...

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All the upcoming MMP products sound great, I must admit I am especially interested in the Twilight of the Reich mini-module

Wish they were making that a full module though, I really find the late war much more interesting than early war so I will be keen to see what they do with this

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found that news super disappointing that KWASL group is working on the A&I Wars. I thought they did a really poor job on KWASL, it is just so complicated not many people play it. And then this Journal contained at least 7 KWASL scenarios which I do not play nor a good many ASL'er. A few play KWASL but not enough to really justify including that many KWASL scenarios in the Journal. Maybe MMP should have done a KW Action pack.

Other then those gripes; I found the rest of the Journal scenarios to be must plays, especially the Italian beach landing scenario.

I am very pleased to have read within 'The Umpire's View' the news regarding the work being done on a 1948 Arab-Israeli war module (by the Forgotten War crew no less!), and the continuing work on the Ortona HASL.

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found that news super disappointing that KWASL group is working on the A&I Wars. I thought they did a really poor job on KWASL, it is just so complicated not many people play it. And then this Journal contained at least 7 KWASL scenarios which I do not play nor a good many ASL'er. A few play KWASL but not enough to really justify including that many KWASL scenarios in the Journal. Maybe MMP should have done a KW Action pack.
I second the motion...I would LOVE an entire Action Pack devoted to Korea!!!

I remember that many people felt similar about the Japanese when they were introduced back in the day. It should be acknowledged that the periodic introduction of new theatres of war, new nationalities, and new terrain to the existing system are what has kept ASL vibrant and exciting for nearly 40 years.

Don't forget that you and the average ASL player are pretty bright individuals...stupid people can't play ASL...and we can wrap our heads around complicated rules like Caves, Landing Craft, Beaches, Seaborne Assaults, Hillocks, Night, Air Support, Gliders/Paratroops, and all of the other complexities of the ASL rules.

I believe in you, Scott. Keep working hard and practice and you will master the Korean War rules, just like you did with the PTO rules and the Desert rules and the rest of the ASLRB. The true beauty and joy of ASL is the sheer variety that it offers us...the Korean War rules just add to the variety.

Semper Fi!
Scott