ASL is like life.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I think long-term ASL players go through a series of phases similar to the growth of a child into an adult.

Childhood: ASL is wonderful, everything is just fantastic, I don't really understand it all but that doesn't mean that I don't just love it to pieces. I have just a few questions: so how does this work? Why? So how does that work? Why? Does this mean that this works a different way to that? But why?

Adolescence: While I do love ASL, it's embarrassing to say so, and I feel that it's more important to point out all the flaws, even if I have to make some of them up. Rules are too restrictive, man, and they don't make any sense! You're not the boss of me! I hate you! I'm only playing because you make me!

Adulthood: We can talk about the rules, maybe some things we feel more strongly about than others. "If I was king, things would be different." Life's too short to cry about the way things are, just get on it with it and enjoy what you have. Don't change anything without giving it a lot of consideration first, and in any case nothing changes until you see it in print. Better to play and grumble than not play at all.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All very well, but ASL lacks sex. :D

Apart from that, I think it depends on a person's character. To which you may - of course - reply, that some people never grow up.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Excellent analysis.
It actually matches many relationships : fusional love at the beginning, then facing the fact that one's partner/job/club has flaws which prevent it from offering perfect satisfaction, then move on to a mature relation to it.
Some say that you are no more an adolescent when you accept your parents as they are and you have given up on trying to change them.
My experience with ASL followed that path, but I have the impression that the Adolescent phase didn't last long. Otherwise, I would have invested in playing other games (whining continuously about ASL and still playing it is pathological : a form of masochism, which makes you a pain for other players in addition).

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True.

Beginning - had to have it all. Subscribed to all the zines; Rout Report, On All Fronts, ASLUG, At The Point, etc. Bought every scenario pack. Played 4-5 games by email simultaneously to learn the game Played ftf 3 times a week. Went to 4-5 tournaments a year. Lived and died with Avalon Hill's trickle of ASL items.

Middle - played 1-2 times a week. Play tested. Wrote articles. More discerning in my purchases; no CH, limited ESG. Bought most of the other TPP products. Attended 1 maybe 2 tournaments a year. Still read the rulebook once a year. Followed the Q&A religiously. Put all scenarios in page protectors in proper binders.

Later - only buy MMP, LFT, FRF and BFP. And other worthwhile like the St Louis guys module. Don't buy all of MMP ASL products any more; skipped their WO 'overlay' map board pack, the SL scenarios, Elst. Play once a month if at all. Might start playing again soon. Depends on when Korean War module is released.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I am still stuck in childhood and remarked the other day that all the things I enjoyed as a child I continue to do in retirement. Okay, toy soldiers (even tin hollows) have morphed into counters, toy tanks are now 1/35 armor models, Sgt. Rock comics are now books by Bevor, little league baseball is catching Cleveland play Chicago and this list goes on.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am still stuck in childhood and remarked the other day that all the things I enjoyed as a child I continue to do in retirement. Okay, toy soldiers (even tin hollows) have morphed into counters, toy tanks are now 1/35 armor models, Sgt. Rock comics are now books by Bevor, little league baseball is catching Cleveland play Chicago and this list goes on.
Spot on!
I would add 'Sgt. Rock comics have transformed in to the Osprey books and model airplanes have morphed in to flying lessons.
Go Cubs!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I have to agree with Ray on this. I got 3 of the SP dice sets (the ones with their original logo) and spent a few minutes admiring the colour variety and arranging into rainbow sequence :(. Just like a toddler with coloured wooden building blocks. I might as well get a few minutes of sheer childish joy out of something simple. Though the sheer complexity and most of all the comprehensiveness of the ASL rule set is what keeps me interested, simple amusements also have their place and ignoring those means life is just a fraction poorer.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Growing up is over rated................As far as I am concerned we have only so many steps in our lives before we are called to the big ASL tourney in the sky so enjoy enjoy enjoy!!!!!!!!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are playing a CG, you marshal RG of all sorts, but the end, whether nigh or yonder off, is.