ASL goes to Korea!

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I see that KWASL is now on Pre-order, mmmmhhhh, wonder who is gonna get that.

fleitz3

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see that KWASL is now on Pre-order, mmmmhhhh, wonder who is gonna get that.
Oh yeahhh. With this on preorder, PIF out soon - & hopefully more from George K & Xavier, 2016 looks like it could be a really good year. :)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just seen the hill maps, is that all that will be in the module?, seems a bit light, or am I expecting a bit to much.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a little disappointed in the rectangular hill configuration. It's just an 8" x22" hill, blown up, basically. I was hoping for more imaginative major hill configurations, I confess.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am a little disappointed in the rectangular hill configuration. It's just an 8" x22" hill, blown up, basically. I was hoping for more imaginative major hill configurations, I confess.
I think Lot were expecting more Mark, not very inspiring map boards IMHO.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Just seen the hill maps, is that all that will be in the module?, seems a bit light, or am I expecting a bit to much.
It depends upon what you are comparing to. About right for a AH/early MMP core at 4 maps, which would have been mounted, but light compared to MMP reprints. I suppose not having to 'catch up' on 52 already published existing maps means that the number of maps is low. We have been spoilt recently, between core reprints and a veritable flood of APs. The only surprise for me is that they are numbered K1-K4.

Now the only question is do I buy 1 (for bits) and a spare or 2 and a spare?

Roll on Spanish Civil War!

EDIT: I see Mark P complaining about the hill configuration. While I will agree it is not the most imaginative, we still have boards 2, 9 15, 39, 50, 58, 60, 5a/b and 8a/b that have sizeable hills. If you have got BFP's HG2 then you have the combined H & I (reprint of HoB's I & II) 2 board hill as well as J & K separate hills. We could do with an official 2 board hill, because although BFP H&I/HoB I&II are great, they will see no service in official and many TPP scenarios.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
First time something comes on preorder when I am sleeping!! THAT's why I shot straight up in bed to check my iPad .. scrambled up to put in a preorder first (#279) and put out a call for another bulk preorder for the locals.

Now I can go back and sleep some more ...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The maps seems OK for me. Much however will depend on the steep hill rules and how they can provide added flavour to the maps.

But with new nationalities and new rules and an exciting new post WW2 theatre of operation, this is, with PiF, a must-buy that would provide enough meat to the table for hungry players over the whole next year.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I will definitely be getting it, I think it is a great addition to ASL. I did a lot of play testing, and to begin with wasn't all that keen when I read the rules, but enjoyed all of the scenarios, and there is a lot of variation in the tactical situations. ROK, North Koreans, Chicom, Turks, Aussies, British, Marines, U.S. Army, some second line units and some very tough units, it has a lot of variety.

You need to know your night rules, as there are a few of those.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'll get it but I am not overly excited about it.

My gaming interest it primarily WW2, so Korea, the Spanish Civil War etc. is not of particular interest to me for purposes of ASL. So it is not unlikely, that I won't play much of it.

von Marwitz

louis743

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the maps, but I guess that I have been spoiled by all of the Ken Smith artwork on the recent ASL releases. I am not very impressed with the cover art displayed on the pre order page.

But I am #361!

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that will be the final cover.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have to go with Von M on this, ASL is for WW2 IMHO, while I can only applaud MMP for branching out a bit, I for one would of preferred if they had released CdG again, or AoO, I am pretty certain they would sell very fast. But again, that is only my view.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only surprise for me is that they are numbered K1-K4.
I saw on the ASL Facebook group page that Chas or Perry (from MMP) said that the 'K' is just a place holder for now and that the mapboards should have a number that is consistent with the rest of the ASL maps.

I saw that and put in my preorder. Korea is not of real interest to me, but it is an ASL game extension so I'll get it, I feel the same about Spanish Civil War.

daniel

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The only surprise for me is that they are numbered K1-K4.

EDIT: I see Mark P complaining about the hill configuration. While I will agree it is not the most imaginative, we still have boards 2, 9 15, 39, 50, 58, 60, 5a/b and 8a/b that have sizeable hills. If you have got BFP's HG2 then you have the combined H & I (reprint of HoB's I & II) 2 board hill as well as J & K separate hills. We could do with an official 2 board hill, because although BFP H&I/HoB I&II are great, they will see no service in official and many TPP scenarios.
This is an official 4-board hill, if you look closely, not just 2. Plus the "corners" are geomorphic (or are on my playtest maps) so there is more than one way to set them up.

It's fun to talk about new products but critics (I don't mean you) should probably hold their tongue until they have the product in front of them for at least 5 seconds instead of killing everyone's excitement.

As noted, the discussion at the FB group suggest the numbers will be sequential with the other ASL maps. I expect there will be criticism of *that*, too.