ASL Gamesquad Threads

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Other than that, I find Fb too time consuming, too. And a very toxic place.
Actually - FB might be toxic politics-wise but not game-wise. FB is certainly more cordial game-wise than GS. Privacy-wise I give the same info on GS & on FB. Twitter is hardly toxic if you limit yourself to ASL.

Referencing info is definitely better on GS. While a lot of the players I know are on here, most players I deal with on a day to day are not and have to be reached on different platforms.

I convinced a few people that the real good info are on GS. I even registered for 3 when they can't get through the high security capchat setup (took me a few tries too). I haven't really seen them on here since.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Privacy-wise I give the same info on GS & on FB.
That might be true but FB puts a cookie on your computer that lets them track you when you visit other sites. They can combine all your visits so they get a profile of everything you do. The information you type in is piffle. Gamesquad could use its cookies in the same way, but they just aren't a big enough organization to pull it off.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That might be true but FB puts a cookie on your computer that lets them track you when you visit other sites. They can combine all your visits so they get a profile of everything you do. The information you type in is piffle. Gamesquad could use its cookies in the same way, but they just aren't a big enough organization to pull it off.

JR
Yup. That's what all the cookie/ script/ ad blocking extensions are for.

Heck, I have an organisation MUCH bigger than FB to worry about.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That might be true but FB puts a cookie on your computer that lets them track you when you visit other sites. They can combine all your visits so they get a profile of everything you do.
Oh dear. They might even begin to show me advertisements for stuff I would specifically be interested in. My God, that would be terrible.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Oh dear. They might even begin to show me advertisements for stuff I would specifically be interested in. My God, that would be terrible.
They are making money off information that would have been mostly private before the internet. You are giving away your value for free. Some people don't have a problem with that. But perhaps the fact that you are, say, pre-diabetic or a smoker, is given to a potential employer, and that potential employer decides not to offer you a job based on that information because it will keep their insurance costs down. Once you release your information it may be used in ways you may not anticipate or appreciate.

JR

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are making money off information that would have been mostly private before the internet. You are giving away your value for free. Some people don't have a problem with that. But perhaps the fact that you are, say, pre-diabetic or a smoker, is given to a potential employer, and that potential employer decides not to offer you a job based on that information because it will keep their insurance costs down. Once you release your information it may be used in ways you may not anticipate or appreciate.

JR
Has any of that ever happened?

I remember Y2K going to be the near end of civilization as we knew it. It turned out to be a big nothing burger.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I imagine that will be tough to find out as any sane HR will not say : "hey, I ain't hiring you 'cause we find out that you smoke and you gonna jack up our insurance cost. "

They just gonna say "you are outstanding & impressive but we found someone slightly more suitable, thanks so much for spending time with us"

I mean, in real life the story's a lot simpler. Folks got fired because their "friends" captured what they said on private chats and sent that to management.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Has any of that ever happened?
It hasn't happened in exactly the way I said yet, but the pieces are starting to fall into place: https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20200103/uhaul-wont-hire-smokers-vapers-in-21-states In this case they aren't using information from an "internet profile" to guide them, but it's not a giant leap to see that it probably will be done. You may not want to control your information, but others want to use your information to control you.

I remember Y2K going to be the near end of civilization as we knew it. It turned out to be a big nothing burger.
Constant vigilance is the price of living in the information age. A great amount of work went into making changes for y2k. If it had not been done it probably wouldn't have been the end of the world. That's television weather-speak. But it would not have been good, and it had the potential for being very bad in some cases. And that it was not very bad is because people did something about it, not because they went all Mary Sunshine.

If you want to be the frog in the water while the heat is slowly turned up, by all means. I like frog soup as much as the next fellow.

JR

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It hasn't happened in exactly the way I said yet, but the pieces are starting to fall into place: https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20200103/uhaul-wont-hire-smokers-vapers-in-21-states In this case they aren't using information from an "internet profile" to guide them, but it's not a giant leap to see that it probably will be done.
If businesses aren't hiring smokers, isn't there an obvious solution to someone wanting to be employed?

I mean, in real life the story's a lot simpler. Folks got fired because their "friends" captured what they said on private chats and sent that to management.
That's what unions are for. Progressive discipline, and termination with cause. But the solution there is pretty easy, too. If you're going to trash your employer, maybe don't commit it to writing.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If businesses aren't hiring smokers, isn't there an obvious solution to someone wanting to be employed?
Use targeted data to get them hooked on tobacco, then use targeted data to punish them for it? You go! That's giving them the old in-and-out.

What is the obvious solution for someone whose family has a history of heart trouble?

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What is the obvious solution for someone whose family has a history of heart trouble?
Don't talk about it on the internet, I guess. If you have a physical ailment, tell your doctor, and look to advice from immediate family and close friends. That's what phones are for.