ASL-Forums.net Permission Changes

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASLers,

As most of you already know, the Forums were shutdown because someone complained that they were receiving unsolicited email from the ASL Mailing List, an opt-in mailing list. The previous hosting company was quite nervous about having a very large company breathing down their neck, so they shut down the site.

Thanks to this, I'm also quite nervous about the whole site being shutdown again by the next clueless user. The following rules are now in effect to protect the site from this sort of problem:

• 1. No AOL.com email addresses.
    2. NO AOL.COM EMAIL ADDRESSES.
    3. The ASL Mailing List subscription process will require you to confirm via email. This is so we have a paper trail, in case another idiot forgets that he ASKED to be on the mailing list.
    4. ASL Mailing List members will have to resubscribe, since I currently don't have any record of them asking to be on the list (Forum members have been restored, since those records were backed up).
    5. No more anonymous posting. You must be a registered member to post to the forums. You can still read the forums without logging on.
    6. All ASL Mailing List postings will now have a footer added which includes instructions on unsubscribing from the mailing list.
    7. There are no exceptions to any of the above rules.
If anyone wants to complain about any of these rules, keep in mind that this mess has cost me several hundred dollars and 3 full days of work already, and I have a lot of work left to do to bring the rest of the site back online.

I'll gladly hear any suggestions you may have to avoid a repeat of this situation, but complaints about the above rules will pretty much be ignored.

Nat

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules seem reasonable to me. It's unfortunate about AOL, but given the power that company has to screw something like this up based on the complaints of one bonehead, it seems a necessary step.

Unfortunately, knowing the nature of online communities in general (and to a degree, ASL in particular), someone will complain. So let me preemptively go ahead and thank you, Nat, for the effort you've put into this. Based on my own limited exposure to keeping up online sites, I can only begin to imagine the time (and money) that's gone into this forum, the mailing list, and OARS. Thanks for keeping it all going.

Pete

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks so much for all you do Nat, especially when we all should realize that you do all of this in your spare time. I like the rules especially if it will get the whiners out of the Forums..... oh well that is probably just wishful thinking. :wink:

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
All right so how do you resubscribe to the mailing list? I have the old original email with all the instructions in it from Aslml-request@asl-forums.net . I sent a subscribe message but got no response. Is there a new way to sign up or is the mailing list even up again.

Also, thanks very much to Nat for keeping the Forums and the newer list alive.

Wes

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think on the other thread Nat said the ASLML would be a few days more before being up and running (maybe the 23rd?).

Pete

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am just one individual, and I much prefer to come here to a stable forum, than attempt to mess it up with stupid requests.

That said, I am more than pleased with ANY rules requested.

Because I get to enjoy a good forum, and I get to enjoy it for free.

I am glad you were able to get the forums back up and running :)