ASL for women ?

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The blog of Michael R. who teaches ASL to his wife made me curious. Is it possible to get more women into ASL ?

Maybe if MMP would publish a special edition of the rules:

- Russian counters are printed in pink instead of brown.
- To successfuly park an AFV on a street the player has to pass a 5TC
- Everytime a MMC moves adjacent to a store, the counter becomes TI because it goes shopping. If it is a shop for shoes, it is TI for 2 consecutive turns.
- If an SMC wants to go to a bathroom it is mandatory to stack it with another SMC. An SMC is never allowed to go to the bathroom alone.
- At the start of every scenario the horoscope of each SMC has to be checked.

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about an increased propensity for violence and aggression during certain time of the month? Automatic berserker status on any MC in the third week?

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The blog of Michael R. who teaches ASL to his wife made me curious. Is it possible to get more women into ASL ?

- Everytime a MMC moves adjacent to a store, the counter becomes TI because it goes shopping. If it is a shop for shoes, it is TI for 2 consecutive turns.
- If an SMC wants to go to a bathroom it is mandatory to stack it with another SMC. An SMC is never allowed to go to the bathroom alone.
No. Look around at an ASL tournament.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have asked my wife Liz. She made it to the final of a mini-tournament in Arnhem, beating two previous mini winners on the way, so her suggestions count, I guess. She almost skinned a certain Californian in a friendly game at ASLOK, but he used his male charm to lure her partisans out of the tower....

Her advice:

* short(er) scenarios

* easier to access rulebook (Starter Kit style)

* no Covered Arcs on AFV (this one seems a personal grudge, though).

As for sexist jokes, she can make quite a few about the average ASL player she has seen at ASLOK, Copenhagen, Verona and Arnhem.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

And you think that women stupid enough to not realize they're being pandered to would be smart enough to pick up the nuances of the game?

Here's a better idea - this is not directed at you as I realize you're trying to be humorous, but this topic comes up quite often, and with a disturbing seriousness from some quarters. Anybody that wants to spend time with a (gasp) woman is probably advised to just get interested in things she likes. You know, normal stuff. Like leaving the house, music, dancing, shopping, talking to other human beings, sports, camping, gardening, home improvements, entertaining, etc.

I hear - this is just an unconfirmed rumour - that they enjoy that kind of thing.

The whole "I'm going to teach my wife to be a tourney ASL player" is embarrassing to read about. Like pictures of fat kids going into gymnastics. Little Miss Sunshine had a nice parallel take on how pathetic it was to put 8 year old girls into beauty pageants - people obviously enjoy the thought of such things, but at the end of the day, the question is - umm - why? You can justify it on paper with thoughts of bonding and spending time together, but there are so many better ways to spend your time.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have asked my wife Liz. She made it to the final of a mini-tournament in Arnhem, beating two previous mini winners on the way, so her suggestions count, I guess. She almost skinned a certain Californian in a friendly game at ASLOK, but he used his male charm to lure her partisans out of the tower....

Her advice:

* short(er) scenarios

* easier to access rulebook (Starter Kit style)

* no Covered Arcs on AFV (this one seems a personal grudge, though).

As for sexist jokes, she can make quite a few about the average ASL player she has seen at ASLOK, Copenhagen, Verona and Arnhem.
Tried to rep you, but I have to spread the love around.

Astute observations. I suppose it comes down to finding ways to introduce the game, and those who enjoy that type of thing will advance as far as they like.

My wife has a limited interest in games -- she enjoys stuff like Fluxx, Sequence, etc., but games like Monopoly or (to some extent) Carcassonne (where a "killer instinct" is usually needed) leave her cold. For her, ASL is definitely from Mars.

koffee77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a better idea - this is not directed at you as I realize you're trying to be humorous, but this topic comes up quite often, and with a disturbing seriousness from some quarters. Anybody that wants to spend time with a (gasp) woman is probably advised to just get interested in things she likes. You know, normal stuff. Like leaving the house, music, dancing, shopping, talking to other human beings, sports, camping, gardening, home improvements, entertaining, etc.
Based on this women should be flocking to tournaments. I have witnessed most of these at ASLOK and WO: leaving the house - just going to the tournament and the cookout at Ginnards. Loud, rowdy cheering for the Ravens or Steelers in the bar at WO (check); music - someone playing jazz music on their computer (check); dancing - after every great die roll. There is also the local "dance" clubs that get frequented by some of us. (check); sports - observed several folks in the fitness room using the equipment to include myself . Plus moving some folks kits is an effort (check); camping - had a third using a sleeping bag on the floor one year. Plus there is the campfire at Ginnards. (check); gardening - not too popular anymore (uncheck); home improvements - have been in some great gaming rooms at folks houses (check); entertaining - seen many folks handing out drinks and food at ASLOK/WO. Ginnards was a happening place on Sunday. Also several of us like to peruse the local, popular restaurants (check). Everything a women could dream of can be found at an ASL event! : )

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ha, ha, that is funny. Giving advise on women now...

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And you think that women stupid enough to not realize they're being pandered to would be smart enough to pick up the nuances of the game?
Why not? You think people are stupid enough to buy book about ASL written by a guy who hardly plays ASL.