ASL for Fun Recommendation

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Good afternoon! Could someone please recommend one of the ASL for Fun scenarios from LCP? I've looked at them all and just wanted to hear from someone who might have played one and had a good experience. Thank you!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have played the following at Grenadier 2016 together with 3 other players (2 per side):

AAR for the ASL for Fun #3 - "The Storming of Tauroggen"

In these two posts, you can find a long AAR for the above:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/grenadier´16-asl-tournament-germany-02-11-16-06-11-16.125770/page-4#post-1848714
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/grenadier´16-asl-tournament-germany-02-11-16-06-11-16.125770/page-4#post-1848715

I found it not exactly balanced, though in some other playing, the outcome was closer as I have heard.
In any case, the AAR holds some proposals on how it could be tweaked a little.

So this might be a good starting point for you.

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Choose the subject you enjoy the most. For me that would be the Bagration scenario.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lots of excellent scenarios by George.

I agree. Choose the nationalities and theatre you're most interested in playing.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
I played the first 8 ASL for Fun in playtest form. I would also say you should pick the subject you find most interesting first. Then look them over some are very counter heavy. Great for team play. Number 8 Les Attaques Crossroads needs a 6 ft. table. Bocage Breakout map is the smallest.
I would pick #3 Storming of Tauroggen to replay for myself. This one came down the last turn.
Dave

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I found the first one very playable (size/counter density) and fun. They've been creeping larger, I think, and such I haven't found my normal opponent as interested in them.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played #2 French Mustered... I enjoyed it but it was a blowout. I don't know how much of it was balance vs perhaps a less than optimal attack plan (or my perfect defense? Unlikely)... These things can be approached in so many ways I'm sure playtesting would be a nightmare, and I'm sure you could play them poorly.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'm pretty sure that George does not spend ages playtesting these - how could he? There have been about 8 released in the last year and about 6 more to come.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
I'm pretty sure that George does not spend ages playtesting these - how could he? There have been about 8 released in the last year and about 6 more to come.
Some have been around for longer than a year. That said there always seems to be a shortage of playtesters.
Dave

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
I played #2 French Mustered... I enjoyed it but it was a blowout. I don't know how much of it was balance vs perhaps a less than optimal attack plan (or my perfect defense? Unlikely)... These things can be approached in so many ways I'm sure playtesting is a nightmare, and I'm sure you could play them poorly.
Which Side did you play? We played the French during a playtest and it looked pretty grim but the Germans kind of fell apart over the late 2 turns.
Dave

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which Side did you play? We played the French during a playtest and it looked pretty grim but the Germans kind of fell apart over the late 2 turns.
Dave
I was the defending Germans. My mortars on the hill tore his infantry to pieces as they came onboard through the wooded hills. Then he brought the bulk of his tanks on the more open left most board area - where I hid the bulk of my AT assets. It was bloody.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, I'm aware. I'm just saying they would be incredibly difficult to balance well with so many options for attack/defense and OB composition.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have yet to play any LCP product that was disappointing.
Playtested a couple of his scenario packs with a friend. Was really impressed with how balanced the scenarios were off the hop. One pack we played through in entirety, then switched sides and played them a second time. The quality holds up.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played several of the ASL for fun scenarios and liked them all. Go for the situation that appeals to you. George is upfront that they are not playtested and balance can be iffy.

I was the French player against esprcorn and saying it was a slaughter is an understatement. That said it was still a fun play with many interesting tactical situations occuring.

Mike