ASL FAQ

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Which part of "I grew tired of the job and someone else took over" was not clear to you?

No, of course I can't edit it.
Letting someone else have access does not require you to give up your access. So who has it now?

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The problem design wise with the FAQ is that, as people have said, it is a major PITA to keep web pages updated in this fashion. It would probably be better using code that picked up text files that were dropped in a specific folder and displaying the contents linking on titles. This lowers the amount of 'link management' that would be required and means changes would be easy to add. This would need an aspx type site (or other language based dynamic loader). I did something similar once for a CCG. I had a web components that just scanned a folder. If anything appeared it picked it up displayed it and added a link to another control. Then all I had to do was drop the cards in the folder and the website was done. Minimal effort on my part. The nice bit was the component could be used by other websites either locally or by linking in.

Joss

Drow

Reaction score
The problem design wise with the FAQ is that, as people have said, it is a major PITA to keep web pages updated in this fashion. It would probably be better using code that picked up text files that were dropped in a specific folder and displaying the contents linking on titles. This lowers the amount of 'link management' that would be required and means changes would be easy to add. This would need an aspx type site (or other language based dynamic loader). I did something similar once for a CCG. I had a web components that just scanned a folder. If anything appeared it picked it up displayed it and added a link to another control. Then all I had to do was drop the cards in the folder and the website was done. Minimal effort on my part. The nice bit was the component could be used by other websites either locally or by linking in.

Joss
If you mean using SSIS?
Then yes it can, but you have to be a programmer.
You have a SSIS package that an SQL agent job calls every hour.
Does File exist, NO, exit.
Else yes.
Is file Processed? if yes the archive it
Else
Process it
Then Archive it.

You need a batch processing table and a file table with your staging table.

It's still a pain no matter how you cut it, doing updates if doing it in your spare time. I say to those who think they can do it, then go and make your own FAQ site. When I first got back into ASL I was upset about the dead links, then after awhile I got tired of my own sites. I had two going, one for my Wiccan shop, I had over 2000 items on there, and then the baseball replay site. I closed my shop at the end of Dec. the baseball site hasn't been updated for a few months. it just gets to be big pain.

http://blmbaseball.site40.net/Index.html

Bill

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am a C# Software Developer and ASP.Net can do this quite easily - my comment was more along the lines of if ASP.Net can do this then so can other languages of probably similar ilk. When the page is accessed and the component is loaded by whatever html page is loaded it checks automatically the folder(s) and picks up the contents and displays. Once set up THAT side of things needs no updating. Even with this component that basically auto loads contents onto screen you still need someone with the time to create the documents to display even if they are just text documents.

As you have noted that gets to be a fairly thankless task and rapidly eats into your own spare time plus sites that can run ASP.Net tend to be more expensive than the standard web setups out there

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Undertaking it.
I hope not to be vexing anyone (I kept the original credits).
Curently, I'm working on getting the text in, formatting, creating the links. Please be patient.
Then updating from what little knowledge I have. I also use the opportunities of hotling images (such as the excellent module dependency found elsewhere, the very good wikipedia article, etc.). Also, maybe building the erratum section (where to get them, what to get, in what order).
The WIP is here : http://asl-faq.wikia.com I intend to open the editing rights to everybody, like a proper wikia. So everybody's in charge...

Last edited:

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wikia is okay, but the site is much too cluttered with ads. I know it's free, but it makes my eyes hurt.

I like the idea, but what is wrong with the ASL wiki that already exists? (apart from no one seems to use it).

BTW, nice necro.

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I did not know it existed. I will finish the cleaning and then (if able), copy paste it in the Asl wiki, close the wikia and begin the update. The asl wiki seems also to provide better interface and possibilities.
Thanks for the info.

What necro ???

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're right.

Stickies cannot be necro'd, strictly speaking. (What a gloriously internet-ey thing to say!)

In any case, I wish you luck. I think the idea of an ASL Wiki is a bit of a no-brainer. If any game on earth is absolutely screaming for a wiki, it's ASL.

Thanks for doing this, and I may just have to give you a hand at some point.

Mike

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Cleanup of layout has been done. http://asl-faq.wikia.com/wiki/ASL_FAQ_Wikia NO LONGER A VALID LINK
I made it one page since, nowadays, the cutting of it into parts is not anymore necessary (it was probably done because modems would mean slow charging pages, so better to cut them in chunks).

I now need to get the internal links done. I think I'm going to provide this to the ASL Wiki first and then make the internal links.

I've also updated, with my little knowledge and things I gathered from BGG or here :
  • core module sections
  • upcoming/rumoured products
  • how to learn
  • module dependency chart (link to best BGG chart)
  • VASL (a bit)
  • added ASL Calc
  • added Starter Kits
edit : I've finally found the ASL wiki. I Wonder if there are any chunks of this that is not already in the ASL wiki. I fear I've lost a few hours of my life... :(http://www.advancedsquadleader.net

Last edited by a moderator:

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Noticed few typos under modules section, in Hakkaa Päälle and VotG.

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks. I think I've corrected them. Do not hesitate to correct directly : no login needed !