ASL Etiquette

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't know about the rest of you, but when an opponent takes a smoke break and comes back to the gaming table with atrocious ashtray breath, I feel justified in letting out that horrible beer and cabbage fueled fart I've been so politely holding in all game. Sort of counter-etiquette I guess.
I trust that with a fair bit of adaption, a mint or a stick of gum works on both ends?

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  • Let's have some fun. We're adults playing a silly dice game.
  • I'm happy to switch dice when asked or share dice, and sometimes I switch my own dice when frustrated.
  • I like being able to see all the dice rolls, I dislike Carl's old sugar bowl or dice tower trays with high sides
  • I agree with Bendis, it's nice to leave the dice sitting. Sometimes we all forget to check if the shot had rate or not (or was a hull/turret hit)
  • When you are taking the 2+2 shot, roll the dice first before moving five stacks out of the way to check the number of hindrances that would make it 2+3. It's probably not going to matter.
  • If I roll your sniper, I'll tell you.
  • We can use any LOS thread, but let's pick one and use the same one all game.
  • I'm not concerned about your hygiene, but don't put our hand down your pants please.
  • Eat, drink, smoke (outside), or chew all you want.
  • Take a break anytime, but do you really need 20 minutes before your player turn every turn?
  • Don't quit on turn 3 of 9 in a 12 hour round please. Let's play some ASL.
  • You are welcome to watch the game, but we don't need a narrator.
  • For god's sake move your pieces. There's no reason to stare at the board ten minutes, ever.
Paul

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
  • For god's sake move your pieces. There's no reason to stare at the board ten minutes, ever.
The more ASL you play, the better you get. The faster you play, the more you get to play. Nice little self-reinforcing feedback loop there. -- jim

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Paul
I have mixed and contradictory thoughts about this point. Also what do you mean by a " 12 hour round " ?

If you think you have lost by turn 3 of a 9 turn scenario concede and set it up again. If you are losing by turn 3 in the second attempt perhaps reconsider your plan or choice of scenario. Another option is to set it up again and switch sides.

However it can be helpful and instructive to continue to play a scenario you think you have lost. Who knows what can happen. Luck can change or your opponent may not know how to finish you off. The reason we practiced the end game in chess.

We tended to go with the first option quite frequently as has been documented in the Today In ASL History thread. We'd pick up the pieces, find a replacement board, break out one of the spare dice towers and have at it.??

At a tournament I would be more inclined to play a while longer when the situation looked bleak. However as a courtesy to all concerned I would not drag the scenario out to the bitter end when it was obvious that there was no reasonable path to victory.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The more ASL you play, the better you get. The faster you play, the more you get to play. Nice little self-reinforcing feedback loop there. -- jim
An excellent summary of how we approached the game!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  • Let's have some fun. We're adults playing a silly dice game.
  • I'm happy to switch dice when asked or share dice, and sometimes I switch my own dice when frustrated.
  • I like being able to see all the dice rolls, I dislike Carl's old sugar bowl or dice tower trays with high sides
  • I agree with Bendis, it's nice to leave the dice sitting. Sometimes we all forget to check if the shot had rate or not (or was a hull/turret hit)
  • When you are taking the 2+2 shot, roll the dice first before moving five stacks out of the way to check the number of hindrances that would make it 2+3. It's probably not going to matter.
  • If I roll your sniper, I'll tell you.
  • We can use any LOS thread, but let's pick one and use the same one all game.
  • I'm not concerned about your hygiene, but don't put our hand down your pants please.
  • Eat, drink, smoke (outside), or chew all you want.
  • Take a break anytime, but do you really need 20 minutes before your player turn every turn?
  • You are welcome to watch the game, but we don't need a narrator.
Paul
Old sugar bowl ? Does that imply he has a new non-opaque one?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought it broke, but I could be projecting bad wishes on that &*%#! thing.

It's always great to play Carl, but it adds lots of tension to wait for him to share what the roll was. ;)
Good news. Let’s pitch in and buy him a new one, different design.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Absolutely no Cheetos!!!
Literally, you are a kill-joy.

After scanning the brains of a carefully chosen group of consumers, the NeuroFocus team discovered that the icky coating triggers an unusually powerful response in the brain: a sense of giddy subversion that consumers enjoy over the messiness of the product.

most people don't admit or even know that they like getting artificial cheese dust all over the place when they eat Cheetos

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Literally, you are a kill-joy.

After scanning the brains of a carefully chosen group of consumers, the NeuroFocus team discovered that the icky coating triggers an unusually powerful response in the brain: a sense of giddy subversion that consumers enjoy over the messiness of the product.

most people don't admit or even know that they like getting artificial cheese dust all over the place when they eat Cheetos
That explains a lot. If I try to eat Cheetos around the hoard of heathen felines I spend more time guarding my plate then actually eating. They work together. While one distracts me another grabs some off my plate. The clever little buggers. ????

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Agreed. In my group we consider it all of our duties to police the sniper roll, whether for you or against you, as a common courtesy.
I sometimes don't notice a SAN DR.
VASL helps, as the chat alerts about the possibility of a SAN.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ISTR that somewhere in the rules it says that you in fact have to.

Then again, even if it doesn't it's still good etiquette.

BD
Yes, its right there most clearly in 14.1 “A player is subject to Sniper attack...” I looked for the rule that said “void Sniper attack if your opponent doesn’t notice” but couldn’t find it, go figure.