ASL Etiquette

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The host usually supplies food and coffee. The host usually sets up the game as a way to save time.
Same here, at least as far as setting up goes. I supply coffee and/or beer, as appropriate. I tend to think of game day as a social gathering. We could be watching a movie or a baseball game or whatever, we just happen to be playing ASL instead.

Food is usually up to the individual, however.

BD

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grumbling about dice is allowed if it is justified and lighthearted. A friend of mine earned the nickname "boxcars" because of his extremely bad luck during a game. Even I was feeling sorry for him. After yet another bad roll, he finally lost his patience and said "well, cheese aaaaand crackers!" to signal his disgust. When my opponent goes on a ROF tear against me, I've been known to say "crud," or "ouch."
I have a regular live VASL opponent and over a series of games my dice were so bad that he was starting to feel really bad for me. Then we were playing an Eastern front scenario and I had a hidden AT Gun. He rolled his whole Tank platoon adjacent to my gun. I rolled 4 straight kills keeping rof, even changing CA in woods. He has never felt sorry for me since. :). It was glorious!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I avoid touching the other side's counters and ask first if I have to.
Very polite.

Doctor Marc and I were playing one evening and were both under the influence. Marc tended to get spaced out when loaded, never obnoxious or rude, just a bit spacey. It was his turn and he seemed lost in thought. Next thing I know he's lifting the Concealment counters off a couple of my stacks and examining the counters underneath! He wasn't trying to cheat, just being Doctor Marc when he'd had a few too many. I just laughed knowing he would probably forget what was there as soon as he put the Concealment back on! Sometimes he even forgot I was there. Helluva nice guy though.??

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...lifting the Concealment counters off a couple of my stacks and examining the counters underneath!
An opponent did that to me once, purely because he was temporarily lost in the moment. I admit that a couple of times I have had to restrain myself as I asked 'what's under that question mark?'.

BD

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The helpful advice one gets on this forum is truly incredible!?
I'm serious. Why just in the last day we've learned not only the proper way to eat peas but the correct way to share limited cutlery among the family and how to impress your dinner guests with the approved placement of your monogrammed silverware. I'm feeling quite refined at the moment. If only we could come to a consensus about where the box of wine should be placed on the dinner table. ?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Next to the box of Dunkin' Donuts, of course.
I'll have to talk this over with Captain Bacchus. His cousin, Colonel Cuervo, a true gentleman, just arrived. His insight concerning such matters is invaluable. This should be an interesting discussion. ????

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What a valuable thread! Not only advice on ASL etiquette but truly tips applicable to life skills so as to be able to approach the game, and life itself, as a true gentleperson. Well done all!

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know about the rest of you, but when an opponent takes a smoke break and comes back to the gaming table with atrocious ashtray breath, I feel justified in letting out that horrible beer and cabbage fueled fart I've been so politely holding in all game. Sort of counter-etiquette I guess.

ASLAddict

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I don't know about the rest of you, but when an opponent takes a smoke break and comes back to the gaming table with atrocious ashtray breath, I feel justified in letting out that horrible beer and cabbage fueled fart I've been so politely holding in all game. Sort of counter-etiquette I guess.
You're absolutely right but I had to laugh like that at first.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
When playing ASL, never decline a mint or a stick of gum. -- jim