ASL Etiquette

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beyond the commonplace notions of good sportsmanship, etc. what are considered to be items of good ASL etiquette? I ask because of something that struck me while watching the ASL In Real Time videos, regarding the tracing of LOS.

BD

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if your opponent offers you a breath mint. Take it without comment.

shower breaks should be mandatory after every 5 games completed in a row.

deodorant is not an optional rule.

shirts and shoes are required. None of us have chests as sexy as they might have been 40 or so years ago. Same with toes.

You can always start with those.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wrote an article on this for the special operations magazine (it's in #3 I think). Some of it depends on if it's a tournament game, but generally, allow take-backs, be nice, expect reciprocal behaviour and try to make sure your opponent is enjoying the game.

Help your opponent look up rules, don't cheat, and try not to whine too much when the dice are cruel.

What is the specific issue you're referring to though?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Do not eat at the gaming table. Especially nothing sticky or with fat. You don't want such stuff on your equipment nor does your opponent.

If you have a beverage at the gaming table, place it in a manner that it cannot possibly 'flood' the equipment even if it topples. Better place that can of Coke at the foot of the table rather than on it. Remember that people passing your table could also topple beverages.

Do not go for a smoke or take a call every couple of minutes. Best turn off your cell phone and put it away altogether. You'll survive that for two hours, when it's fine to take a short break.

No 'kibitzing'. If you watch others play, there is no thing such as: "I think the tank has a clear LOS to..." or "Hm, I would first try to pop an sD, then...". It is the others playing their game, not you playing theirs... No comments on such things during the game while in earshot.

Abstain from such things as asking your opponent to switch his dice because you think they are rolling too good. What the hell do you think? That he wants to cheat you? What kind of sign does that send out to your opponent? Would you like to play someone who apparently insinuates that you are cheating?

Nothing wrong of having a beer or two. But playing drunk is a no-go. Would you want to play someone who is drunk or sports a boozy breath. No drugs. I don't want to play anyone who smells from pot or is high.

Control your cursing and mood. Sure it might piss you off if your sole 88 ATG rolls boxcars on the first shot or is taken out by a 2+2 shot by some pesky HS. Of course damning the buggers is ok. But don't keep mumbling and cursing the entire game.

von Marwitz

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beyond the commonplace notions of good sportsmanship, etc. what are considered to be items of good ASL etiquette? I ask because of something that struck me while watching the ASL In Real Time videos, regarding the tracing of LOS.

BD
My gaming circle allows non-DM Rallies deep into the turn. The line of thought was it was just overlooked and it goes without saying the roll would have been attempted if the player was aware of the unit.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I let my dice sit there, I don’t immediately and compulsively pick them up and fidget.
Dont rush scary situations, give your opponent time to D-fire.
For sake of expediency allow overlooked/forgotten reinforcements, rallies, fixes and possession tries (deserve a six!). No go backs on smoke or artillery though, I’ll try to help and remember but I’m not perfect. It’s the smoke, OBA , prepfire phase.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi My 2 cents

We live in a broken world and I think ASL should be an escape from it !!

Have you noticed no politeness at the shop - you touch it you buy it (COVID nonsense)
Have you noticed people walk into you (or even drive into you) because all we see is the top of their heads due to their eyes being glued to the phone and then they take umbridge that you need to look where your going!
Have you noticed the roads are a terror to drive on - so bad everyone now has a camera to record the massive stupidity (I don't!)
Have you noticed the new "Leadership" has walked away from servitude leadership style to "suck up and bully down" and use methods to conceal their inadequacy to lead but call them "feedback" sessions,,,,

New world - You get sacked for a Gaff and incompetence is counselled and encouraged!

ASL to me is the paradise - full of complicated rules yes but lots of FUN - don't spoil the fun by bringing the broken world to the game - good bible reference -"love your neighbour" and your ASL opponent is the best neighbour you could have

My Thoughts

Rob ? :)

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Do not eat at the gaming table. Especially nothing sticky or with fat. You don't want such stuff on your equipment nor does your opponent.

If you have a beverage at the gaming table, place it in a manner that it cannot possibly 'flood' the equipment even if it topples. Better place that can of Coke at the foot of the table rather than on it. Remember that people passing your table could also topple beverages.

Do not go for a smoke or take a call every couple of minutes. Best turn off your cell phone and put it away altogether. You'll survive that for two hours, when it's fine to take a short break.

No 'kibitzing'. If you watch others play, there is no thing such as: "I think the tank has a clear LOS to..." or "Hm, I would first try to pop an sD, then...". It is the others playing their game, not you playing theirs... No comments on such things during the game while in earshot.

Abstain from such things as asking your opponent to switch his dice because you think they are rolling too good. What the hell do you think? That he wants to cheat you? What kind of sign does that send out to your opponent? Would you like to play someone who apparently insinuates that you are cheating?

Nothing wrong of having a beer or two. But playing drunk is a no-go. Would you want to play someone who is drunk or sports a boozy breath. No drugs. I don't want to play anyone who smells from pot or is high.

Control your cursing and mood. Sure it might piss you off if your sole 88 ATG rolls boxcars on the first shot or is taken out by a 2+2 shot by some pesky HS. Of course damning the buggers is ok. But don't keep mumbling and cursing the entire game.

von Marwitz
Fish brought Sergeant Kearney over to play one time. Sergeant Kearney chewed tobacco and had his " spit cup " sitting on the table. The whole scenario I was in a constant state of dread that the cup would be knocked over onto the boards!! I have a relatively strong stomach when it comes to gross smells and the like but if that cup had gotten knocked over I'm sure I would have puked.??

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi My 2 cents

We live in a broken world and I think ASL should be an escape from it !!

Have you noticed no politeness at the shop - you touch it you buy it (COVID nonsense)
Have you noticed people walk into you (or even drive into you) because all we see is the top of their heads due to their eyes being glued to the phone and then they take umbridge that you need to look where your going!
Have you noticed the roads are a terror to drive on - so bad everyone now has a camera to record the massive stupidity (I don't!)
Have you noticed the new "Leadership" has walked away from servitude leadership style to "suck up and bully down" and use methods to conceal their inadequacy to lead but call them "feedback" sessions,,,,

ASL to me is the paradise - full of complicated rule yes but lots of FUN - don't spoil the fun by bringing the broken world to the game - good bible reference -"love your neighbour" and your ASL opponent is the best neighbour you could have

My Thoughts

Rob ?
People tend to find what they seek, be careful and good luck.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm fine with people eating at the table, especially if it is my table. We're there to enjoy the game. I'm not reselling any of my components so I have no reason to care if they are in pristine condition.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm fine with people eating at the table, especially if it is my table. We're there to enjoy the game. I'm not reselling any of my components so I have no reason to care if they are in pristine condition.
If you have ever been blinded by the shining of Oberst von Marwitz's black riding boots, you'd be surprised why his counters aren't polished black...

Probably, I am more loath to things sticky than most. At least, I remember that even in Kindergarden I refused to give any of my matchbox cars to one kid who always had buttery fingers. ;)

von Marwitz

P.S.
Ah, I forgot something about etiquette when dining at the gaming table:

You should have your Château Cheval Blanc served from a decanter rather than the bottle.

If your family silverware which you use has its crest on the back side of the fork, this indicates French relations. To honor these you should place it on the table with fork rakes pointing onto the table. This is the old French style ingeniously introduced to prevent lavish cuffs getting caught in the fork rakes if they were placed upwards.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
How about chewing tobacco?????
I know exactly what you mean. The RSM of my unit had to finally issue orders to troops who would walk around with "spit bottles" and take them into classes during training, etc. Disgusting. If anyone comes up to my counter in the orderly room with one, I refuse to serve them. Really unprofessional in an office setting, not much better at a tourney I think.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the specific issue you're referring to though?
Nothing specific, mostly in-game stuff such as has been referred to already.

I allow eating at the gaming table, as do my opponents, but I hope we all have the common courtesy to wash our hands before resuming play. I don't want to be responsible for getting grease (or anything else) on my opponent's counters, or anything else. I would hope my opponent might show me the same consideration.

BD

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Don't yell and moan endlessly about the dice, especially when I have you on my headset (playing VASL). There's no sense playing if you have to get upset about it.
Yes that's true but sometimes your opponent's whining can be quite satisfying. ?

The delight at seeing him rip a board in half is beyond my capability to adequately describe. ?????

Don't be harsh in your judgment of me. When the guy beats you 70 to 75% of the time you have to rejoice in the occasional mana the dice gods throw your way. ??

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grumbling about dice is allowed if it is justified and lighthearted. A friend of mine earned the nickname "boxcars" because of his extremely bad luck during a game. Even I was feeling sorry for him. After yet another bad roll, he finally lost his patience and said "well, cheese aaaaand crackers!" to signal his disgust. When my opponent goes on a ROF tear against me, I've been known to say "crud," or "ouch."

When I play against friends, we are generally forgiving and will allow a reasonable take-back, as long as no dice had been rolled after the move or a shot had been announced. If one of us forgets to rally a unit or repair a weapon, we'll allow that, and sometimes even point out something that our opponent forgot, e.g., "hey, I think you forgot to fix your LMG over there." I'm also pretty patient and will let my friends take as much time as they need to complete a turn.

Food is allowed when I play friends. The host usually supplies food and coffee. The host usually sets up the game as a way to save time.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When I malf a weapon, I blame their national industry (if B11 unreliable hardware) or the quartermaster (if otherwise good quality gear).
When my units break, I blame them - hardly ever the dice.
When the rolls are bad, better laugh about them than whine.