ASL Deluxe Redux

Sarjent Mike

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Cone on friends, I've posted my love of the Deluxe maps and scenarios here before, but there has to be more of us here to help MMP achieve the necessary preorders to make this product a reality.

I'm ordering 2 to try to make this happen, but I sure can't do it by myself.

I know there are differing opinions on the subject of Deluxe maps. For me, it adds an element of realism and immersion missing on the smaller maps with their condensed clog of myriads of counters an old guy like me needs tweezers and a magnifying glass to manipulate.

When a tank sits on a road on a Deluxe map, it's an actual tank, surrounded by terrain it would naturally occupy, with space surrounding it to reflect its actual size on the battlefield.

Squads, crews, and leaders have room to maneuver in the 40 meter in-hex surroundings that ASL maps promise to deliver but sometimes is lost on the tiny spaces offered by the standard geomorohic mapboards.

Deluxe boards and scenarios bring the action HOME: sure the area of interaction is much smaller, but as an individual tank, leader, crew or squad is concerned, isn't this the essence of Squad Leader - bringing the individual combat experience home to demonstrate the tactical combat that might affect the individual with an M-1 in his hands, or the tank commander scanning for individual targets on the battlefield?

Believe me, this is not a trolling post to discuss the merits of Deluxe ASL mapboards - it's an honest attempt to get folks to preorder MMP's Deluxe Redux for those of us who like and appreciate those big hexes. And I want this!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How many more pre-orders are needed?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I thought retailers are not counted in Pre order number?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Cone on friends, I've posted my love of the Deluxe maps and scenarios here before, but there has to be more of us here to help MMP achieve the necessary preorders to make this product a reality.

I'm ordering 2 to try to make this happen, but I sure can't do it by myself.

I know there are differing opinions on the subject of Deluxe maps. For me, it adds an element of realism and immersion missing on the smaller maps with their condensed clog of myriads of counters an old guy like me needs tweezers and a magnifying glass to manipulate.

When a tank sits on a road on a Deluxe map, it's an actual tank, surrounded by terrain it would naturally occupy, with space surrounding it to reflect its actual size on the battlefield.

Squads, crews, and leaders have room to maneuver in the 40 meter in-hex surroundings that ASL maps promise to deliver but sometimes is lost on the tiny spaces offered by the standard geomorohic mapboards.

Deluxe boards and scenarios bring the action HOME: sure the area of interaction is much smaller, but as an individual tank, leader, crew or squad is concerned, isn't this the essence of Squad Leader - bringing the individual combat experience home to demonstrate the tactical combat that might affect the individual with an M-1 in his hands, or the tank commander scanning for individual targets on the battlefield?

Believe me, this is not a trolling post to discuss the merits of Deluxe ASL mapboards - it's an honest attempt to get folks to preorder MMP's Deluxe Redux for those of us who like and appreciate those big hexes. And I want this!
If it were only an issue of better ergonomy, we would be missing something. Deluxe maps need to be richer in intra-hex features, possibly through overlays.

Also, one can imagine "geomorphic" building hexes overlays that would mate to create tailor-made buildings.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deluxe maps need to be richer in intra-hex features, possibly through overlays.
Um, could you clarify what intra-hex features you mean? Like, there's not enough variety in the terrain types on Deluxe boards?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Auto junk yard or impound lot? A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
There exist interlocking hex grid systems which can hold a single terrain hex made of light cardboard. This is the ultimate system, where you can build the board hex by hex. The hex ID can be printed on the "grid."

Deluxe is large enough that you can mask individual hexes until you get into LOS.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only 75 to go. At current pre-order rates (as demonstrated by this thread) should take about 9 months.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas just posted nice pics on FB of the redone old overlays and the new overlays (including rubble). Only 53 more preorders and we’ll probably see it released at WO!

Tamerlan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For us wargamers who live in Europe, it is more expensive to pre-order and then pay for shipping costs and customs than to purchase in a regular european shop when the game is available.
Assuming that Europeans are 25-30% of the ASL audience, MMP should probably take that into account for their P500 goals.
Maybe they do by the way...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
For us wargamers who live in Europe, it is more expensive to pre-order and then pay for shipping costs and customs than to purchase in a regular european shop when the game is available.
Assuming that Europeans are 25-30% of the ASL audience, MMP should probably take that into account for their P500 goals.
Maybe they do by the way...
Good point.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Tamerlan,

The German online shop Udo Grebe Gamedesign (www.ugg.de) does take preorders on some MMP stuff, and my understanding is that this is taken into account by MMP. At the moment they don't offer the DASL reprint as a preorder, but they do with FKaC; maybe dropping them an email might work.

(I don't know of other European retailers, in the Euro zone, that take preorders; UGG is pretty reliable, though not extra fast)