ASL BUT ENTRANCE COST

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A sniper attack rolls a 1 against an unarmored flak truck.

"14.3 RESOLUTION: A14.3 Sniper Attack A Sniper attack is resolved by the same "1" or "2" dr that caused it. There are no modifications to a Sniper attack, nor does concealment/cowering affect it. A Sniper attack never causes a Collateral Attack or leaves Residual FP, but always inflicts DM on all broken enemy units in the attack Location (10.62). Otherwise, a Sniper attack is resolved as follows:

dr 1: Eliminates SMC, Dummy stack, or (as per 14.4) Sniper; Stuns and Recalls CE crew; breaks MMC (or Reduces MMC that does not break); breaks Inherent crew of unarmored-vehicle/Partially-Armored-AFV; immobilizes unarmored vehicle (see 14.33)."

This suggests that the crew is broken and the truck is immobilised.

However, A14.33 says-

"14.33 vs UNARMORED VEHICLE: An unarmored vehicle and its PRC cannot be attacked by the same Sniper dr. A Sniper attack vs an unarmored vehicle itself can only immobilize it, and only if the Sniper dr were a "1". There is no further effect vs an already-immobilized unarmored vehicle if it is immobilized again."

Does the wording of 14.3 means that the sniper can choose between breaking the inherent crew or immobilising the vehicle?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What you are looking for is A14.2, near the end "prior to Random Selection, the Sniper may choose one of the following ... A Vulnerable Inherent Crew; or an unarmored vehicle...".

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
So, if I undestand well, before the RS you can chose the crew of the flak wagon as target, but if you didn’t because you wanted to kill that 9-2 in the same target hex, if RS makes that flakwagon the target, it will be only inmobilized....

Now, the thing I dont understand..... ASL BUT ENTRANCE COST?? i tried two different translators but nothing made sense...

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
IMO.. Vulnerable inherent crew is one possible target AND unarmored vehicle ítself is another possible one.. RS will decide the one affected..

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
EagleIV meant this:

(Edit, or I undesrtad that from his post....)

Should the target Location be occupied by > one eligible (14.22) target, use Random Selection to determine the target(s) in that Location [EXC: prior to Random Selection, the Sniper may choose one of the following (if present in that Location) as its target: the enemy Sniper counter; a Vulnerable Inherent Crew; or an unarmored vehicle; if any eligible target is concealed, see 14.23].

if you dont use that option/exc, then RS kicks in. An unarmoured vehicle then can only be inmobiliced 14.33.

Maybe you are right Miguel, and then we have 3 targets....The flakwagon, its crew and that 9-2 that you want to kill. That makes sense if you read 14.22.

NON-TARGETS: All units are eligible Sniper targets except AFV with no Vulnerable PRC, units in subterranean [EXC: Caves; G11.8] or Interior-Building Locations, prisoners, or hidden/friendly/Aerial units. Enemy PRC are Vulnerable to Sniper attack if they are CE and/or occupy a Partially Armored AFV or unarmored vehicle. An unarmored vehicle with no PRC (14.33) can be considered an ineligible target at the Option of the Sniper player

I think your point looks right, but still, I dont understand the title of the thread..o_O

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
EagleIV meant this:

(Edit, or I undesrtad that from his post....)

Should the target Location be occupied by > one eligible (14.22) target, use Random Selection to determine the target(s) in that Location [EXC: prior to Random Selection, the Sniper may choose one of the following (if present in that Location) as its target: the enemy Sniper counter; a Vulnerable Inherent Crew; or an unarmored vehicle; if any eligible target is concealed, see 14.23].

if you dont use that option/exc, then RS kicks in. An unarmoured vehicle then can only be inmobiliced 14.33.

Maybe you are right Miguel, and then we have 3 targets....The flakwagon, its crew and that 9-2 that you want to kill. That makes sense if you read 14.22.

NON-TARGETS: All units are eligible Sniper targets except AFV with no Vulnerable PRC, units in subterranean [EXC: Caves; G11.8] or Interior-Building Locations, prisoners, or hidden/friendly/Aerial units. Enemy PRC are Vulnerable to Sniper attack if they are CE and/or occupy a Partially Armored AFV or unarmored vehicle. An unarmored vehicle with no PRC (14.33) can be considered an ineligible target at the Option of the Sniper player

I think your point looks right, but still, I dont understand the title of the thread..o_O
Neither do I and I posted it! Not sure what happened there. Sometimes you hit a wrong key and gibberish appears. I had drafted the question with a different title but then came across A14.2 which EagleIV has referred to. and wasn't going to post it. Must have clicked "send" by mistake. Is there any way to change the title so that it actually relates to the topic?

I hadn't really considered what happens if there are other targets in the location apart from the flak truck. I think that your interpretation makes sense. If the sniper wants to break the crew as opposed to immobilising the truck, it needs to take its chance immediately. If it tries for a juicier target but misses, it doesn't get a second bite at the cherry.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Note that a CE crew can be a target, which means a crew of an AFV (not an unarmoured vehicle, as CE is NA in that case).
And only an unarmoured vehicle may be immobilised by a sniper.
So you never have a choice between targeting a crew or a vehicle.
14.22 doesn't refer to a CE crew though; it talks about a "vulnerable inherent crew" which includes the crew of an armed but unarmored vehicle.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
My bad.
Missed the point indeed.
Deleting my post.