ASL Bell Tolls

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Don Munsell. Don's SL Open in 1985 was the inspiration for the ASL Oktoberfest. It is only fitting that on the final weekend of ASLOk that we remember him.

RIP Don. We never met but Fish thought highly of you and that's good enough for me.
Many of the NC/SC crowd remember Don and went to his SL tournament a year or two before ASLOK came about. Of course, Fish was there also.

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Damn. IIRC, Sam was the self-anointed BLOAT (Biggest Loser of All Time), but nobody agreed with that; he seemed to be a gentle man who will be missed.
I think I may have been the first guy that Sam Belcher won against, at ASLOK in 2000. We had talked a bit on the old ASL Mailing List, and decided to meet up for a game when we went there. I think we played The Forests North of Karachev, from Dispatches from the Bunker, which later became Kampfgruppe at Karachev in ASL Journal #2.

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Gary,

Rest in peace.

I too remember all the Albany events chaired by Gary. He always made it fun, welcoming, and entertaining.

Board 9? What I remember was the raffle. A big cardboard box with a giant ? Lo and behold filled with board 9. I know others can embellish on this.

Charlie
I never met Gary that I recall, but I remember reading this story, either on the old ASL mailing list, or on the Spuddy awards(I miss those), and I just started laughing out loud here.

Someone talked about Bill Sisler's misspelled Leader counter, and I remember the 9-2 Lt. Siscer as one of the great leaders of heavy machine gun fire in RB. At one point, my opponent tried to hide the counter so that i couldn't us it in a scenario where the Germans had a 9-2 and HMGs.:)

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At ASLOk, someone (from TX?) had a note on a table that mentioned the death of their friend Pudge. I tried to figure out who had the note, but missed the connection. We played a bunch with Pudge in Flagstaff, AZ in the 80s and I wonder if it was the same person. Our Pudge moved away around 1990 or so and we lost touch. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At ASLOk, someone (from TX?) had a note on a table that mentioned the death of their friend Pudge. I tried to figure out who had the note, but missed the connection. We played a bunch with Pudge in Flagstaff, AZ in the 80s and I wonder if it was the same person. Our Pudge moved away around 1990 or so and we lost touch. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Texas Tournament Memorial Pack is listed in Scenario Archive: ASL Scenario Archive

Memorial Pack developed by Dan Preston to honor Craig "Pudge" Shinneman. Pudge passed in 2022.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gentlemen, it is my sad duty to inform you the Joe Arthur has now passed.
We were concerned that no one had heard from him in the last week so I contacted the police who reported they "knew where he was". This gave me some reassurance. Regrettably we heard from his brother today that he had died of a pulmonary embolism brought on by a deep vein thrombosis.
This news arrived half way through the first round at Bounding Fire. It makes it seem so pointless now.
Joe will be much missed from our Friday Night Fight group as well as his polite and cheerful interjections through other games.
His mum died earlier this year so at least they will both be together now.

Goodbye Joe.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gentlemen, it is my sad duty to inform you the Joe Arthur has now passed.
We were concerned that no one had heard from him in the last week so I contacted the police who reported they "knew where he was". This gave me some reassurance. Regrettably we heard from his brother today that he had died of a pulmonary embolism brought on by a deep vein thrombosis.
This news arrived half way through the first round at Bounding Fire. It makes it seem so pointless now.
Joe will be much missed from our Friday Night Fight group as well as his polite and cheerful interjections through other games.
His mum died earlier this year so at least they will both be together now.

Goodbye Joe.
Oh Good Lord .. Rest In Peace, wish we met!