ASL Bell Tolls

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Sorry that I have been away from this forum for a while but the thread caught my attention today. I would like to add Doug Maston who was a local player here in the Triad of NC and died in 2009. Perhaps some in Chicago might have known him before he moved to Greensboro. He participated heavily in the Scenario Exchange Club that once existed and compiled an extensive database much like is found in the Scenario Archive or ROAR. Charlie Kilbler saw his database and used the idea for his "Chronology of War" that appeared in the 1989 ASL annual.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bill " Fish " Conner
September 10th, 1952
February 17th, 2012

The Grofaz.
Known around the forum as 2 Bit Bill.

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Here in Copenhagen we lost American/Danish William Hansen a few years ago. Sorely missed, not least for his hyper-aggressive playing style (win or lose you were always finished early!) and running commentary on the game, politics, jazz music and life. Fortunately we have had some success bringing his son into the ASL fold.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here in Copenhagen we lost American/Danish William Hansen a few years ago. Sorely missed, not least for his hyper-aggressive playing style (win or lose you were always finished early!) and running commentary on the game, politics, jazz music and life. Fortunately we have had some success bringing his son into the ASL fold.
Undskyld for dit tab. Må Gud hvile sin sjæl.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here in Copenhagen we lost American/Danish William Hansen a few years ago. Sorely missed, not least for his hyper-aggressive playing style (win or lose you were always finished early!) and running commentary on the game, politics, jazz music and life.
Sorry to hear that, i'll miss his sharp comments on the American way of life.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I played against him at Scandinavian Open in 2009... I lost the scenario and enjoyed the conversation afterwards. I´m sorry to hear that he is gone.

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
Sorry that I have been away from this forum for a while but the thread caught my attention today. I would like to add Doug Maston who was a local player here in the Triad of NC and died in 2009. Perhaps some in Chicago might have known him before he moved to Greensboro. He participated heavily in the Scenario Exchange Club that once existed and compiled an extensive database much like is found in the Scenario Archive or ROAR. Charlie Kilbler saw his database and used the idea for his "Chronology of War" that appeared in the 1989 ASL annual.
Oh, so sorry to hear about this. Doug (and his wife) sent me a full "CARE"-package of home-made cookies and other really nice stuff when I was on tour with the UN in Bosnia 1994-1995. So unexpected and so kind, it was a real gift to get any kind of mail under those conditions. I had to dig out the old letter (yep, paper) and read it. Apparently the cookies were Toll House cookies. At the time Doug had been on the ASLML for 1 year and was averaging about 1 game every two weeks. This did bring back memories...

I remember being so amazed at the amount of letters and care-packages I received from people on the ASLML. Just to mention a few: Mike Kreuzer, Tom Repetti (with and attached 10-3 allied minor leader attached), Tim Hundsdorfer and Bahadir Erimli. A real boost to the morale!

/asad

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Oh, so sorry to hear about this. Doug (and his wife) sent me a full "CARE"-package of home-made cookies and other really nice stuff when I was on tour with the UN in Bosnia 1994-1995. So unexpected and so kind, it was a real gift to get any kind of mail under those conditions. I had to dig out the old letter (yep, paper) and read it. Apparently the cookies were Toll House cookies. At the time Doug had been on the ASLML for 1 year and was averaging about 1 game every two weeks. This did bring back memories...

I remember being so amazed at the amount of letters and care-packages I received from people on the ASLML. Just to mention a few: Mike Kreuzer, Tom Repetti (with and attached 10-3 allied minor leader attached), Tim Hundsdorfer and Bahadir Erimli. A real boost to the morale!

/asad
I did not know this. I know he had been in Sweden for Volvo at times and might have met some of the ASL players there. He was a regular in our group for years until health issues overwhelmed him. Ray

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Anyone hear from Richie Johns lately?

Sure do miss Psycho.
Richie's still entertaining friends on Facebook with his course sense of humour.

He's a great guy. One of a huge number of ASL players that I've never met, quite probably never will meet, but have the highest regard for and consider a good friend.

Despite the fact that many people do not much care for Facebook, for those such as yourself who may have lost touch, you may well find them quite active across there. Psycho definitely is. Sign up (or reactivate), send him a friend request would be my recommendation.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was just looking at some texts between me and Coleman Quill, he always set me at ease. Kinda interesting, We’re ‘phone brothers’, his number was 721-7171 and my number 712-1717.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I was just looking at some texts between me and Coleman Quill, he always set me at ease. Kinda interesting, We’re ‘phone brothers’, his number was 721-7171 and my number 712-1717.
Bizarre about the phone numbers.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a few days I am going back East to visit my best friend--Paul Leslie. We have been friends for over 50 years now. What kept our bond of friendship closer than others--even compared with my family members--is our shared love of playing ASL. I find this odd but not disturbing. Why this game has such a hold on me I can never rationalize. All I know is that it still gives me great joy every time I play. So, as this thread reminds us of those we have lost, perhaps we should think--and thank--those friends of ours whom we still have time left to share across an ASL table. I hope for future playings with my friend, but know some day, that playing may be our last. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, so I will celebrate today. I am going to savor every success with rolling snakes and even endure with grace when I roll my many twelves and just be happy to make new memories. Oh yes, the main problem we will face is that we may try to party like we did in our past. Not wise, but again, fun to try!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In a few days I am going back East to visit my best friend--Paul Leslie. We have been friends for over 50 years now. What kept our bond of friendship closer than others--even compared with my family members--is our shared love of playing ASL. I find this odd but not disturbing. Why this game has such a hold on me I can never rationalize. All I know is that it still gives me great joy every time I play. So, as this thread reminds us of those we have lost, perhaps we should think--and thank--those friends of ours whom we still have time left to share across an ASL table. I hope for future playings with my friend, but know some day, that playing may be our last. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, so I will celebrate today. I am going to savor every success with rolling snakes and even endure with grace when I roll my many twelves and just be happy to make new memories. Oh yes, the main problem we will face is that we may try to party like we did in our past. Not wise, but again, fun to try!
Party like it's 1999, you've probably got one more left in you.🤗🤗🤗