ASL Bell Tolls

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
That was me, our first scenario in 15 years. I wanted to say I had played at the first and twenty fifth Oktoberfests so Fish obliged and we played Guards Counterattack. That is the picture I use for my avatar.
As I recall, he set it up from memory. You should have known you were toast right there ;) I miss Fish. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
As I recall, he set it up from memory. You should have known you were toast right there ;) I miss Fish. -- jim
Yes he did set up from memory and facing him I knew I was toast. Nothing unusual about that. Same as it was since early in 1982. Still tried to give him a good game though. I miss him also, the comradeship even more than the gaming.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure I understand why. We had our fun with it, why should I care if people are still playing it 20 years from now? We're not curing cancer here, we're killing time and in the end, blowing a bunch of money on ourselves. It's not like it's some noble undertaking that your son should feel obligated to carry on.

This thread highlights the positive impact of the hobby - getting to know people, from across the planet, and making lasting friendships while learning a little about history and sharing passions for that history. That's all good stuff. But ASL is just the vehicle for that - an old, clunky, expensive vehicle. When you buy your son his first car, will he get a rusted out 1977 pickup truck, or does your son deserve something with decent gas mileage, air bags, crumple zone, heated seats, and collision detection?
Good points put forth.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my favorite times at ASLOk is Friday and Saturday nights. By then, people are moving on to more social games or sitting around joking and smoking about the weeks games, the people they met, the stuff they did. It's fabulous. I also like sitting around with the Saturday night "To the Last Man" grudge crew (Taylor, Vaugh, Mudge, and Tommy--I am not going to spell Cvenovitch) and watching them play and carry on. It is such a good thing. The hardest part is being respectful for those still contending for ASLOk glory but things don't usually get too out of hand. -- jim
I just hope ASLOK happens in 2021. I'm not optimistic.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uwe Besch, deceased in 2020. Great ASLer, regular GRENADIER participant, always willing to help out where needed, especially teaching ASL/ SK beginners.

View attachment 16090
Had many friendly friendlies with Uwe at Grenadier, and at his home in Berlin. Consumate gentleman, skilled player, gentle soul. Very much missed.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jean (6+1) Devaux, a lovely grumpy Frenchman with an excellent level of play. Super fast player, great opponent. Attended the very first Arnhem tournament in 2002 or 2003.

Passed away a few years later. Did a lot of work for Le Franc Tireur.

Fondly remembered.
Jean was the very first European player I met, back in 1999. Invited me to his beautifully cluttered apartment in Paris in response to a cold-call email, introduced me to the LFT crew and even the Belgian players I would eventually play when settled in Brussels. His avatar was Jean 5+2, but he was so much more.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being a German, I am familiar with the idea of "Oktoberfest" as a fun event - though the prices for beer are inacceptably outrageous...

And you are never too old to party! It is just the way you do it that changes. ;)

von Marwitz
Speaking of Oktoberfest. Does this event spread across all of Germany? My wife and I are planning a trip for September and she is not to keen on the crowds at a huge event. I just want to drink a few beers, enjoy the atmosphere, see some places, and then play someone in ASL. :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Speaking of Oktoberfest. Does this event spread across all of Germany? My wife and I are planning a trip for September and she is not to keen on the crowds at a huge event. I just want to drink a few beers, enjoy the atmosphere, see some places, and then play someone in ASL. :)
Sent you a PM to keep this free of off-topic stuff.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Paul
Really miss knowing there was someone out there with such a knowledge of WWII arms and armor. He was such a valuable resource and always so willing to take on the challenges and questions the forum threw his way. RIP Paul. Your place of honor at the great gaming table in Valhalla is assured. Hopefully some kitties there for you to care for.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After the days of TDing at Oktoberfest one of the things I looked forward to on my yearly journey to ASLOk was a chat with Darrell. I didn't know him really well but always enjoyed our talks.
Darrell was always willing to give me a playtest when schedules allowed. We did the first raw draft copy of "Red Horse Recon' together.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well if ASL means Another Sports Legend then I'll mention Hank Aaron. Fish often picked him for his Strat-O-Matic baseball team the Connerski City Chiefs and Fish knew what he was doing when it came to playing Strat-O.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Damn this is a shock! Met Darrell decades ago at Oktoberfest and always enjoyed talking to him. 😔 So sorry to hear he has passed. He always had a smile and a great attitude. Sigh.
Actiondebbie fired up the digital picture frame which hadn't been used for a while. Tons of cat, plant and garden pictures. I happened to glance over and there was a pic of Darrell that I had taken at ASLOk. Standing there with that big old smile on his face that always seemed to me to be a permanent fixture. What a loss to the community. 😔

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone know the status of Lester Castellana (Binchois)? He & I had games going for the past several years and he just disappeared from responding to my emails in mid game (very unlike him). Sent him Christmas & New Years salutations but haven't heard from him at all nor have I seen him post here for some time. I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst. God bless regardless of his current status. I really miss him a lot as a great opponent and a friend I never met FtF.