ASL Bell Tolls

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our thoughts when originally planning Oktoberfest was that it wasn't to be an event with strict rules, timetables and the need to determine a " champion ". We wanted to get people together to play and revel in the game that meant so much to us. We gave the attendees what we wanted from an event and it seems to have worked pretty well. Fish came up with the idea to call it Oktoberfest and that name exemplifies what it became and thanks to Mark, Bret and Wild Bill what it remains. Well at least until everyone gets too old to party on.
If I I remember correctly I sat at a table with you and Bill at an ASLOK or two. I am pretty sure that you were talking with Brett but again it has been sometime and I could be mistaken. I watched Bill play Guard's Counterattack but I cannot remember who he was playing.

Did you guys ever make it to WO?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If I I remember correctly I sat at a table with you and Bill at an ASLOK or two. I am pretty sure that you were talking with Brett but again it has been sometime and I could be mistaken. I watched Bill play Guard's Counterattack but I cannot remember who he was playing.

Did you guys ever make it to WO?
That was me, our first scenario in 15 years. I wanted to say I had played at the first and twenty fifth Oktoberfests so Fish obliged and we played Guards Counterattack. That is the picture I use for my avatar.

I never made it to WO and not sure about Fish. If I had to guess I would say he did as he attended just about every event that was held east of the Rockies and some to the west.

Chris Bryer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure I understand why. We had our fun with it, why should I care if people are still playing it 20 years from now? We're not curing cancer here, we're killing time and in the end, blowing a bunch of money on ourselves. It's not like it's some noble undertaking that your son should feel obligated to carry on.

This thread highlights the positive impact of the hobby - getting to know people, from across the planet, and making lasting friendships while learning a little about history and sharing passions for that history. That's all good stuff. But ASL is just the vehicle for that - an old, clunky, expensive vehicle. When you buy your son his first car, will he get a rusted out 1977 pickup truck, or does your son deserve something with decent gas mileage, air bags, crumple zone, heated seats, and collision detection?
Well, I feel personally that something that gave me such pleasure should survive to do the same in the future. I would like ASL to endure and continue on into the future. It would give me satisfaction to know that and I suspect many feel like I do. I am sure many dont. Your car analogy is apples and bananas. You can die driving a car. ASL is not nearly that crucial. :)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was me, our first scenario in 15 years. I wanted to say I had played at the first and twenty fifth Oktoberfests so Fish obliged and we played Guards Counterattack. That is the picture I use for my avatar.
Yep, my Prevagen is working! :):)

Alright maybe it is not working so great as I don't know why I didn't remember that was you.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yep, my Prevagen is working! :):)

Alright maybe it is not working so great as I don't know why I didn't remember that was you.
Lol no problem. I tended to stay out of sight in Fish's shadow!😉

Been thinking about Prevagin myself. 🙄🙄 I've forgotten what it was I wanted to remember though.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm shocked!!! LMFAO of course he did.😉😉😉🤣🤣🤣

It was rare for him not to come back from an event where he didn't do well.
He did blow it out of his posterior at Origins one year losing in the first round of four events. I believe he used that experience as a motivator. Like he needed motivation. 🤣🙄🙄🙄

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my ASL mentors- RIP for Steve Sulszby. Chris Castellana and I spoke a while back via email and Chris told me, sadly, Steve had died some time before. A staple fixture in the old SoCal ASL groups and the LA Hyatt cons and the TRW building "The Random Wargamers" meets each month.

Gone but not forgotten.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only got to know Fish at the last few ASLOKs before he passed. He took an interest in our Saturday Night Guitar Jam and started bringing his guitar and harmonica. He and I would be the last ones jamming after all the other guys went to bed. We would stroll around the game hall at 3am and he would serenade people. I wish I had written down the words to his ASLOK song. It was so funny. Awesome.
“And then I rolled a nine”

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Fish won the inaugural Winter Offensive.
Not only do I have a crappy memory for such things but Fish never made a big deal about his tournament victories. He would tell me how he did, maybe some details, and we would move on. I can't ever remember him bragging about a tournament win. Really a good sportsman. Well after a while when it was just the two of us he could get " enthusiastic ". 😉😉🤣🤣

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Our thoughts when originally planning Oktoberfest was that it wasn't to be an event with strict rules, timetables and the need to determine a " champion ". We wanted to get people together to play and revel in the game that meant so much to us. We gave the attendees what we wanted from an event and it seems to have worked pretty well. Fish came up with the idea to call it Oktoberfest and that name exemplifies what it became and thanks to Mark, Bret and Wild Bill what it remains. Well at least until everyone gets too old to party on.
Being a German, I am familiar with the idea of "Oktoberfest" as a fun event - though the prices for beer are inacceptably outrageous...

And you are never too old to party! It is just the way you do it that changes. ;)

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I really like this 'post gaming phase' of tournaments. Of course, ASLOK is a much bigger thing as GRENADIER, but sitting around with the folks talking in the small hours of the night talking 'n' joking and sharing the drinks that everyone has brought has always been held high there. It brings the people together more than the actual playing does IMHO. Every year it feels like a little reunion.

Actually, I have not visited many different tournaments (merely GRENADIER, Westwall, and Arnhem), but this was something I felt was special for GRENADIER. Talking about it, I am missing it this very moment. Hopefully, we will be able to join ranks this November again...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz
One of my favorite times at ASLOk is Friday and Saturday nights. By then, people are moving on to more social games or sitting around joking and smoking about the weeks games, the people they met, the stuff they did. It's fabulous. I also like sitting around with the Saturday night "To the Last Man" grudge crew (Taylor, Vaugh, Mudge, and Tommy--I am not going to spell Cvenovitch) and watching them play and carry on. It is such a good thing. The hardest part is being respectful for those still contending for ASLOk glory but things don't usually get too out of hand. -- jim