ASL Bell Tolls

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
First time for me happened at a huge breakfast I had ordered while attending ASLOK, in 2007. Sam was already there too and we spent more than an hour talking ASL and such while I tried to eat the monstrosity I had ordered, not knowing the meaning of "huge" on your side of the pond. From that very day, we have been emailing and chatting, while preparing a sequel to LFT Deluxe pack. Sam was a great guy, a very nice player and he will be sorely missed. Rest in Peace Sam.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
First time for me happened at a huge breakfast I had ordered while attending ASLOK, in 2007. Sam was already there too and we spent more than an hour talking ASL and such while I tried to eat the monstrosity I had ordered, not knowing the meaning of "huge" on your side of the pond. From that very day, we have been emailing and chatting, while preparing a sequel to LFT Deluxe pack. Sam was a great guy, a very nice player and he will be sorely missed. Rest in Peace Sam.
Glad to hear that you got to spend some time with Sam over a huge breakfast.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
RIP indeed to a ASL Comrade and long time Dispatches subscriber. Sam had nice stuff to say whenever we communicated and was quite positive about the hobby in general. He will be very much missed, Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Do you remember what the huge breakfast consisted of? Very curious. 🤔

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sam was a good trooper, he played with humor even at his own expense.
When we played at Enfilade, it was without bitterness even if I won (which I did not do often).
He was a very proud grandfather, trying to get his grandson and friends interested in ASL.
Play on Sam, play on.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Odd question to ask in a thread about people who passed away...
Yes I had considered that but felt that since it was the memory that Xavier shared with us about Sam it wasn't really inappropriate. No disrespect was meant. I have been known to ask the occasional odd question.

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Do you remember what the huge breakfast consisted of? Very curious. 🤔
Well, I can't remember EXACTLY what it was, but I had spent part of the day before flying from France and arrived late at night after a hectic transfer at Dulles. With jet lag, I could only rest a little bit and was starving at about 3 am or so... it was in 2007, and in front of the hotel there was kinda restaurant where I went, maybe around 6 am. It was still dark and pretty cold. I think i had to look quite haggard and hungry, because the waitress came straight to me with a cup of coffee, asking for what kind of breakfast would I like (well, this is the way most of the waitresses welcome their guests over there, but I was pleased... and even more starving than at 3 am).

Silly me... I asked for the biggest one they had. A huge one. My own words. She warned me the huge one was just that... HUGE. Compared to several guys already having their meal, I have to recognize that I nearly looked skinny. But I thought to myself, alea jacta est! She went to the kitchen and while some other ASLers came in, Sam Belcher first, she came up with 6 pancakes full of butter, cereals, cream everywhere, half a dozen of cakes, fruit, a jar of orange juice, several types of bread, bacon, scrambled eggs, sausages, beans, cheese, yogurts... the list is just too long for me to remember exactly what I managed to see that very morning, not to even mention what I had to leave on the table. I think I only managed to eat one third, maybe only one fourth of all that food. She kept going to the kitchen, and returning with more food... The 6 pancakes are stuck in my mind, definitely.

And all that while talking to Sam, and later on with Alan (Salzman IIRW) and some other great ASL players I had the chance to meet that very morning for my first ASLOK. Sorry if I cannot be more detailed, but it was nearly 14 years ago and the lesson learned is that I will NEVER ask for any HUGE meal in the United States of A :)

This was how I had the chance to meet Sam for the first time; a very nice, cool guy and true Gentleman.

X

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well, I can't remember EXACTLY what it was, but I had spent part of the day before flying from France and arrived late at night after a hectic transfer at Dulles. With jet lag, I could only rest a little bit and was starving at about 3 am or so... it was in 2007, and in front of the hotel there was kinda restaurant where I went, maybe around 6 am. It was still dark and pretty cold. I think i had to look quite haggard and hungry, because the waitress came straight to me with a cup of coffee, asking for what kind of breakfast would I like (well, this is the way most of the waitresses welcome their guests over there, but I was pleased... and even more starving than at 3 am).

Silly me... I asked for the biggest one they had. A huge one. My own words. She warned me the huge one was just that... HUGE. Compared to several guys already having their meal, I have to recognize that I nearly looked skinny. But I thought to myself, alea jacta est! She went to the kitchen and while some other ASLers came in, Sam Belcher first, she came up with 6 pancakes full of butter, cereals, cream everywhere, half a dozen of cakes, fruit, a jar of orange juice, several types of bread, bacon, scrambled eggs, sausages, beans, cheese, yogurts... the list is just too long for me to remember exactly what I managed to see that very morning, not to even mention what I had to leave on the table. I think I only managed to eat one third, maybe only one fourth of all that food. She kept going to the kitchen, and returning with more food... The 6 pancakes are stuck in my mind, definitely.

And all that while talking to Sam, and later on with Alan (Salzman IIRW) and some other great ASL players I had the chance to meet that very morning for my first ASLOK. Sorry if I cannot be more detailed, but it was nearly 14 years ago and the lesson learned is that I will NEVER ask for any HUGE meal in the United States of A :)

This was how I had the chance to meet Sam for the first time; a very nice, cool guy and true Gentleman.

X
Thanks so much for a great story!!! That was excellent and hilarious!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's bittersweet that it has to be told in such a sad moment but wonderful that you have something to remember Sam by that will likely stick with you for a long time.

Yes huge can really mean huge over here. You don't want to disappoint the customer with something merely large.

Thanks again for a truly great story. Captain Bacchus and I are very grateful.

Good luck, good health, good journeys and Good Eats to you always!

Good Eats is one of my favorite cooking shows. I couldn't resist, just the jick in me.😉😉🤗🤗🤗🤗😘

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

X
Would you say that breakfast contributed to a bourrelet if you have one?🤔

Sorry! Captain Bacchus and I can't help ourselves as that was the ASL Word of the Day!!

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my levity at such a time but I'm fairly sure Sam understands.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When evoking our missed, it is a well-known fact that people speak of light subjects too (anecdotes, even jokes).
It is a way to ward off the pain and also the fear of death.
I am sure that Sam you be gently smiling about the evocation of that breakfast.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Very nice person as I remember him, and very helpful for ASL newbies and vets alike - no superiority, no impatience, just charity and (mentioned by many people) sense of humour. I feel a regret that I didn't talk with him more.

Guess that Sam's death is an "opportunity" (for lack of better words) to say that I am really happy that I've met here all of you, guys.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

X
This was the year I met Sam and Xavier. Xavier was selling LFT Magazine #10 (Spanish Blue Division) and he didn't just want to sell the product, he wanted to talk to everyone. A great introduction to LFT for me. That same ASLOK I played Sam in one of the scenarios from that pack.

The breakfast may have been at Friendly's, which was across the road from the ASLOK hotel at Middleburg Heights. I went there a few times over the years and never left hungry. Good times.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I have found the vast majority of ASL players to be kind souls and a pleasure to be with.

I never met Sam in person but my communications with him over the years were always friendly.

I'm sure playing him was also a pleasure, win or lose as he made it a nice and memorable occasion, Vic.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing I remember about Sam, was that he always tried to have prizes for everybody at Enfilade.
If you had cold dice, he'd give you a 'hot pink' die. He give someone who had hot dice, a frost white die.
He also encouraged people to bring in stuff for prize purposes, like extra ASL mags or scenario packs.
I always tried to get in a scenario with him at Enfilade, I will miss him very much.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One thing I remember about Sam, was that he always tried to have prizes for everybody at Enfilade.
If you had cold dice, he'd give you a 'hot pink' die. He give someone who had hot dice, a frost white die.
He also encouraged people to bring in stuff for prize purposes, like extra ASL mags or scenario packs.
I always tried to get in a scenario with him at Enfilade, I will miss him very much.
Those who strive to advance the hobby and comradeship among the players are a blessing. His seat at the Great Gaming Table in the Sky is assured and well deserved.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Alas Ed Caswell has passed away last October per this post.

I did not know Ed, but some of you will. It is always sad to hear that one of us has left us.
My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Ruhe in Frieden, Ed.

von Marwitz

Last edited: