ASL Bell Tolls

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just saw on FB that Kurt Kurtz, ASLOK regular passed away last weekend after a long battle with pneumonia. As an ASLOK regular, I am embarassed to say I cannot place the face. I remember the spider baseball hat though........ Man oh man its been a tough couple of years for us........

Rest in Peace!
A skinny, older fellow. Hadn't seen him in a while but was fairly regular for about 5 years. Sometimes his wife would tag along, and pull counters as needed. Seemed odd, but she didn't seem to mind.

RIP Kurt

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember Kurt too, think I saw him in Chicago? Think Neil played him more than once too.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Kurt was one of the first Americans to regularly come to Montréal for the Montréal ASL Festival that I ran during the nineties. He was a pleasant guy and a good opponent.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I found a photo from the 2001 Montréal ASL Festival that has Kurt (on left) in it. Ironically, in the background is a deceased local player named Ron Garrow, who never played outside of this locale.

View attachment 20325
Kurt and I played several times over the years. Always a good game. He would make travelling to out of town asl tournaments a family affair.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this fellow was brought up already upstream. Thinking about this thread for a bit at work last night. Back when I was on FB, I sold a spare copy of VotG to a guy from Chicago. Real nice, genuine guy. We subsequently messaged each other quite a few times post-sale. God forbid, I cannot remember his name! He was ex-Navy (retired?) and was affianced to a nice African-American woman who fully supported his hobby. He hadn't replied to a message for some time, and I heard somewhere (FB?) that he had passed away. This was probably five years ago-ish. Another nice guy in our hobby lost, and what bugs me so much about it is not remembering his name.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this fellow was brought up already upstream. Thinking about this thread for a bit at work last night. Back when I was on FB, I sold a spare copy of VotG to a guy from Chicago. Real nice, genuine guy. We subsequently messaged each other quite a few times post-sale. God forbid, I cannot remember his name! He was ex-Navy (retired?) and was affianced to a nice African-American woman who fully supported his hobby. He hadn't replied to a message for some time, and I heard somewhere (FB?) that he had passed away. This was probably five years ago-ish. Another nice guy in our hobby lost, and what bugs me so much about it is not remembering his name.
Perhaps Gunner Scott would know him.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RIP Gary Trezza

Just heard from Carl Nogueira that Gary passed away suddenly in March (3/19/22). Here is Carl's message:

Folks,
It is with profound shock and regret that I have to announce the passing of Gary Trezza. Gary apparently passed unexpectedly and suddenly back in March. We all knew Gary as a one-of-a-kind individual. I knew Gary well and regarded him as a good friend. I have no other information unfortunately. That said, there was an obituary for him on an officiating site, that left little doubt that indeed it is the Gary we know.
I sincerely wish I had better news.
Carl Nogueira

Of course we all knew Gary (aka "Chuckles") as he ran the Albany Tourney for years, and was a torch bearer for ASL.

Gary leaves us with many great fun memories. He will be sorely missed. Condolences to his friends and family.

Tom21776

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RIP Gary Trezza

Just heard from Carl Nogueira that Gary passed away suddenly in March (3/19/22). Here is Carl's message:

Folks,
It is with profound shock and regret that I have to announce the passing of Gary Trezza. Gary apparently passed unexpectedly and suddenly back in March. We all knew Gary as a one-of-a-kind individual. I knew Gary well and regarded him as a good friend. I have no other information unfortunately. That said, there was an obituary for him on an officiating site, that left little doubt that indeed it is the Gary we know.
I sincerely wish I had better news.
Carl Nogueira

Of course we all knew Gary (aka "Chuckles") as he ran the Albany Tourney for years, and was a torch bearer for ASL.

Gary leaves us with many great fun memories. He will be sorely missed. Condolences to his friends and family.

TomView attachment 21776
Sad to hear -- but I have a great memory to share, and make it a 'celebration of life"

Gary and I played a few times but one from the OST pack (Veritable Giants?) at I forgot which tourney sticks out as it was a typical Trezza experience. I was the attacking Russians and declared that I was doing a human wave in conjunction with AFV platoon movement (armored assault)-- And he was like "nah, nah what is this bullshit?" Stomping off and fuming like he was about to bring a ball bat on to my noggin, looking for a rules clarification as only he could... After accepting that it was allowed he eventually sat back down and said "OK, continue-- nice move Shelling" and proceeded to stop my cyborg wave and win the scenario.

RIP (Roll in peace)

mallexen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite Gary Trezza story (that I can post in public :)):
I always saw Gary at the NorEaster and Albany tournaments. For these tourneys, my wife would send a batch of awesome brownies to share with the guys. No funny brownies, but made with Penzey's cocoa, and a raspberry ganache. Really really good. The first time Gary had one, he told me in his best Trezza growl, "These are the best m-f'ing brownies I've had in my life."
When I got home I told my wife that story, including the colorful Gary language. And I told her, "Hon, believe me, this is the highest possible praise you could ever get."

May Gary's memory be a blessing.
-Mike

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I always saw Gary at the NorEaster and Albany tournaments. For these tourneys, my wife would send a batch of awesome brownies to share with the guys. No funny brownies, but made with Penzey's cocoa, and a raspberry ganache. Really really good. The first time Gary had one, he told me in his best Trezza growl, "These are the best m-f'ing brownies I've had in my life."
When I got home I told my wife that story, including the colorful Gary language. And I told her, "Hon, believe me, this is the highest possible praise you could ever get."

-Mike
Awesome story.🥰🥰

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Sad to hear -- but I have a great memory to share, and make it a 'celebration of life"

Gary and I played a few times but one from the OST pack (Veritable Giants?) at I forgot which tourney sticks out as it was a typical Trezza experience. I was the attacking Russians and declared that I was doing a human wave in conjunction with AFV platoon movement (armored assault)-- And he was like "nah, nah what is this bullshit?" Stomping off and fuming like he was about to bring a ball bat on to my noggin, looking for a rules clarification as only he could... After accepting that it was allowed he eventually sat back down and said "OK, continue-- nice move Shelling" and proceeded to stop my cyborg wave and win the scenario.

RIP (Roll in peace)

-Mike
All I remember is hearing a growling & rumbling that sounded like bitching & cussing coming from the nearby table at ASLOk whenever he was nearby. I didn't know he spoke English. Sounded kinda like my dog Max when he growls at people he doesn't like. RIP Gary