ASL Bell Tolls

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just learned that John Dober passed away recently. I'm not sure of the exact date. Big Al said it was posted on Facebook. I thought I should post here since some members (me included) are not on FB.
Very sad loss. My condolences to his family and to all who ever played a game with him.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I can't recall ever meeting him but the posts here make it obvious he was an outstanding human being. His seat at the Great Gaming Table awaits. No more. Sorry. Too many tears for all those we have lost.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I first met John in the early 90s. I last saw him in July when he hosted another ASL event at his Gettysburg home despite his condition. In all of the years that I have known him and enjoyed being on the opposite side of an ASL table I never once saw him lose his temper. He was always laid back and kind. He was one of those that you sought out to get in a game with. Passing time with John with ASL was always enjoyed.
In a few days I will be visiting my old friend of 50 years and will get in some ASL. ASL is the the tie that bonds. As I piece out my counters for my next game I have to stop, think, and rejoice thinking that I am blessed to still be here, still preparing for another meeting with a dear friend. Me and John were planning to meet up at his place and get in a few scenarios. That opportunity will not come again. Right now, peeking through my sorrow comes a glimmer of positive thoughts. Thoughts of future gatherings with friends, ASLOK and other ASL events just seem more valuable at this moment.
Struggling right now to find the positives as I realize I will not see my good friend again. We all held on to hope that John would pull through. Not to be. RIP, my friend. You will sadly missed but forever remembered.

Last edited:

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Last edited:

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Here is the text from John's obituary i the Gettysburg Times:

John L. Dober III, 55, of Gettysburg, died Saturday afternoon, January 8, 2022, at the Gettysburg Hospital.

Born August 29, 1966, in Baltimore, Md., he was the son of the late John L. and Dorothy (Proud) Dober Jr. He was the husband of Christina L. Fallin, of Gettysburg.

John worked as a global data analyst for McCormick & Company. He enjoyed rugby and was part of the North Bay Rugby League. He participated in Civil War re-enactments in Gettysburg, and was a gaming advanced squad leader. John was also renowned for his holiday decorating and many people relished in seeing his creative display every year.

In addition to his wife, John is survived by his two children, Somer Funk and her fiancé Nick Fletcher of Bel Air, Md., and Stuart Funk of Bel Air, Md.; and his two grandchildren, Kaleb and Kinley.

A memorial service will be held at a later date.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Folks, John Dober's obituary on The Gettysburg Times is here:

(Grateful if a non-European / EU resident could cut and paste the contents here, as access is blocked for EU due to GDPR reasons, apparently. I would like to read it as I had a memorable time with John over a game at at ASLOK in 2017. Many thanks in advance.)
Google translator can usually overcome these kind of limitations:

Link to article

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
No nothing to do with Google translate, for some reason the UKAmerican servers would not allow U.K. folks from accessing it ??
What I wanted to say: You can ask Google translator to display a website (just chose translate from English to English). The US website will be called by another US website (Google translator). Thus the US website won't recognize that is called from Europe (or from another place).

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I just saw on FB that Kurt Kurtz, ASLOK regular passed away last weekend after a long battle with pneumonia. As an ASLOK regular, I am embarassed to say I cannot place the face. I remember the spider baseball hat though........ Man oh man its been a tough couple of years for us........

Rest in Peace!

Last edited: